I'm D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y a Tenor Uke Guy!

Ukekiddingme

Reaction score
Not long ago I started playing the Ukulele...I've always been a guitar guy...and I bought a concert Uke to learn on...I just received my New Tenor Ukulele and the sound has me captivated! .......All I can say is the concert Uke is most likely going to be a gift to a friend!! :cool:

I wonder how many guitar folks feel the same way. I only play sopranos and concerts, probably because I never played guitar so have no frame of reference to compare.

I can Only Assume that it's because it has a fuller more " CHORUS-Y" sound to it......:confused: Is that a WORD?

Not sure why it has to be either or. for me I love the different experience each uke gives..

So I play in range from a Pocket Uke to my Classical guitar and everything in between...

I find it fun to play the same piece on all 20 instruments or so, on a nice weekend day when I have the time to do so...

second

Not sure why it has to be either or. for me I love the different experience each uke gives..

So I play in range from a Pocket Uke to my Classical guitar and everything in between...

I second this, but will add that I feel the concerts, as good as they are, tend to be in a middle "no man's land" for me. :cool:

Funny and true... out of 20 instruments I only had one great sounding Kala Cedar Concert until recently when I picked up a Kala Concert Travel uke.

I second this, but will add that I feel the concerts, as good as they are, tend to be in a middle "no man's land" for me. :cool:

As a guitarist in a former life,I own a tenor and
a concert scale, but for choice, play my sopranos
most of the time!

I guess I'm the exception - I'm a (former :) ) guitar player and I love the concert scale and the soprano body. I have a couple of tenors and I like them and play them quite a bit - but new and difficult things come easy and naturally on the concert scale where they still don't on the tenor. I can play the tenor exclusively for a couple of weeks, learning a new progression on it, and then pick up a concert (actually, longneck soprano) and immediately play it better than on the tenor I've been practicing on for two weeks. I only just recently figured that last part out and it suprised me. If my longneck sopranos had pickups I think I might even consider giving up the mango tenor as much as I love the sound and look of it. My playing might get better if I adopted the 'one uke' rule. :)

John

It would be interesting to me, if and when we all got together, to compare hand spans and correlate the same to uke size preference.

I wear a large to x-l glove, but I have maybe a good-size hand but with short fingers. I enjoy playing mostly Sopranos but I also like
a concert-scale Soprano. I've played both Tenor and Baritone and for one season of my ukulele-playing life it was Baritone exclusively!
(Mostly for the low-D vs reentrant - and I was (still am) influenced by Gordon Mark).

Anyway, for what it's worth, hand-size might play and important part in our appreciation of the various sizes of ukuleles we enjoy playing.

keep uke'in',

Not long ago I started playing the Ukulele...I've always been a guitar guy...and I bought a concert Uke to learn on...I just received my New Tenor Ukulele and the sound has me captivated! .......All I can say is the concert Uke is most likely going to be a gift to a friend!! :cool:

Low g or high G?

I play all with the exception of Baritone. I was a guitar player and perhaps that's why. I love my Tenor, but I do play concert and Sop more though.

i am a tenor man, i own a concert and up until a couple of weeks ago i was going to sell it, i was taking my tenor fluke to our club nights, then one of the guys commented on how loud the fluke was, immediately alarm bells went off in my head, 'they can hear my mistakes' i thought, so i started takin the concert down the club and it is just great for that, now its a keeper

Lol!

Now there's justification!

i was taking my tenor fluke to our club nights, then one of the guys commented on how loud the fluke was, immediately alarm bells went off in my head, 'they can hear my mistakes' i thought, so i started takin the concert down the club and it is just great for that, now its a keeper

Hi, I'm Richard and I hide my playing...

"Hi Richard!"

:)

Or.....................for some of us, "everyman's land"

My one & only uke so far is a soprano flea. As a guitar player I got my uke to have something similar to a guitar but smaller that I could take with me traveling. I love it, and eventually I'd like to get a banjolele and a tiple. Other sized ukes are further down my list at this point.

It's funny. I have small hands, and struggled with the guitar for years. I came to the uke knowing I was perfect for a soprano. And I learned, I could actually play songs! I thought I might one day venture up to a concert, but I skipped it altogether, enchanted by the sound of the tenor and got myself a Kala solid acacia one, and even though it's more of a stretch for my baby fingers, I can't keep them off of it.

I tried guitar many years ago, and was no good at it. The concert uke fits me just about perfectly. I tried a banjolele (1920s Gibson) last night, and actually played song on it! But it didn't fit me very well.

Top Bottom