New Uke Day! Martin S1 Ukulele

ukuraleigh

Reaction score
I was sweating whether FedEx would deliver before I headed out for the day, but it just arrived.

P1020761.jpgP1020762.jpg

I've only had a few minutes to play it, but it's a sweet sound that I think will grow on me. I'm not 100% convinced I'll keep the strings, so open to any suggestions. I tend to love the Fremont Blacklines, but I'd be a dull boy if I put them on all my ukes. ;)

Kudos to Elderly for fast shipping and excellent packaging.

Lastly, a shout out to LP (not sure she's on here) but after hearing her excellent new song (see vid below), I chatted with her about what ukulele she plays. She's a big fan of Martin and plays a C1 while waiting for a custom concert to be built by them. Her endorsement tipped the scales in Martin's favor.

Any comments as to the playability of the frets higher up past 12? I've been thinking about getting one of these to add some mahogany to my life, but am holding to the rule that the next uke to come through my doorway has to be playable to the 17th fret.

Any comments as to the playability of the frets higher up past 12? I've been thinking about getting one of these to add some mahogany to my life, but am holding to the rule that the next uke to come through my doorway has to be playable to the 17th fret.

Just took a closer look. The action is pretty high past the 10th fret. Not sure if Elderly does set-up, but if they do, they missed that on mine. :(

EDIT: It's actually not too bad, see comment below.

Last edited:
Just took a closer look. The action is pretty high past the 10th fret. Not sure if Elderly does set-up, but if they do, they missed that on mine. :(

Thanks! One would think Elderly would do setup... but who knows. I've got an opportunity to get one of these at cost, but from a place that definitely does not do setup, so I'm not sure it would end up being that great of a deal. Still looks like a sweet uke for the price!

Thanks! One would think Elderly would do setup... but who knows. I've got an opportunity to get one of these at cost, but from a place that definitely does not do setup, so I'm not sure it would end up being that great of a deal. Still looks like a sweet uke for the price!

I take it back. The action is about he same as my KoAloha (Pua2) Pono (HMS) and Makai (UkeRepublic). I guess I was thrown off because I rarely get up to the 10th fret or beyond. ;)

Congrats on the new Uke. I was able to play one in a store and liked it. I have the SO model and while some of those get a bad rap mine turned out pretty good. Enjoy!

EDIT: It's actually not too bad, see comment below.

Elderly does do set-up, but only, as a matter of course, on brand new instruments.

Guys, please take a closer look at the headstock photo. The "E" in "EST. 1833" is missing!

P1020761.jpg

Who's to blame, Elderly or Martin? Someone dropped the ball in terms of quality control.

I've emailed Elderly and contacted Martin. What should I do? Thanks.

Top Bottom