What tuning do you use?

gcea only :D :D

i guess thats gCEA

Mostly GCEA but I have two ukes currently in gCEA because there are some songs that sound better in low-G and it offers some low-string bass runs that high-G doesn't allow.

I have played with other people's ukes in A tuning, but find it a bit shrill for my taste.

It depends on what I do I suppose. Or what I want to sing.

My uncle has a soprano that's GCEA, a tenor that's gCEA, and a baritone tuned DGBE. When I go to his house, I just jam all the time, and sometimes I want to sing a song in a lower key, and I notice sometimes when I transpose songs on the uke, the chords sound weird to me so I grab that baritone and just play it on there. Generally speaking, GCEA is what I use, but I want a baritone :(

i use GCEA but i like tuning it a half-step lower to Gb B Eb Ab sometimes

I'm all bout the EAC#F#.

But my second choice is gCEA. Third choice is DADF# (open D), and just to say I did, I do have one uke in aDF#B.

If anyone's interested, I can explain how I came up with EAC#F# and why I prefer it.

Anyone?

No?

fine.

I'm all bout the EAC#F#.

But my second choice is gCEA. Third choice is DADF# (open D), and just to say I did, I do have one uke in aDF#B.

If anyone's interested, I can explain how I came up with EAC#F# and why I prefer it.

Anyone?

No?

fine.

Yes, please to 'splain.

I'm all bout the EAC#F#.

Anyone?

No?

fine.

I'll Bite. How did you come up with EAC#F# and why do you prefer it?

Alright, since a couple of you care, here's the story. My first uke was a Mahalo concert (which I still own) and I think it was tuned aDF#B (normal in Nova Scotia). I couldn't stand that weird high fourth string, didn't make any sense, so I didn't play it. A while later I thought I'd change the strings with a low fourth. Not knowing anything about uke strings, I scavenged a set from my Spanish guitar, tightened them to more-or-less the appropriate tension, and tuned to the nearest notes. What I got was EAC#F#.

That's how I got it, now for why I prefer it. Starting out as a guitarist and playing mainly with guitarists EAC#F# is only one tone away from standard guitar tuning (or bari tuning) so it's pretty easy to transpose on-the-fly. With some quick tuning it's easy to switch to bass tuning EADG, or open D DADF#.
And lastly, a tenor tuned to EAC#F#, when capoed at the third, becomes a concert tuned GCEA, and at the fifth, a soprano tuned ADF#B. Ta-da!

Top Bottom