Buyer's Choice

BeardedGent

Reaction score
So, I originally had my heart pretty set on getting a carbon fiber tenor (Tripper8) from Karadoo Composites in the next couple of months but it would seem that my wife is not too happy about me wanting to spend more than $500 on a new uke. She's "encouraging" me to find one at $500 or less. Now, I know there are a lot of ukes at this price range but I've got it pretty narrowed down and I'd love some opinions from you fine folks on my choices.

Pono AT - Acacia Tenor
Kala Acacia Tenor
Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor

So, if you had a choice, which one of these three do you think? I'm still working towards that Tripper8, I haven't given up on it yet, but in case the wife wins this one I need to pick one of these. They're all fine ukuleles and that's my problem!

The Pono has a very High Quality look, feel and sound to it!...

The Kala is also, nice but, the slot head looks weird compared to others. I also, can't get over the cowboy rope binding on the Mainland.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Pono quite a bit. I'm making a trip to Uke Republic's area in a couple of months so I'm thinking about maybe placing an order for one with them then going to pick it up in person, probably with a hard case. I don't have any experience with an all solid wood instrument, it makes me a bit nervous as far as caring for it goes.

The Pono has a very High Quality look, feel and sound to it!...

The Kala is also, nice but, the slot head looks weird compared to others. I also, can't get over the cowboy rope binding on the Mainland.

Pono. (I used to be bearded, but I was no gent)

I agree with stevepetergal.:agree: Pono all the way!

I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Karadoo because it's a first generation uke. Maybe in the future after there have been many more builds and improvements, then it would possibly be worth the $$$.

I hadn't considered that it's a first generation uke. This is a good point that I'll have to think over.

I agree with stevepetergal.:agree: Pono all the way!

I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Karadoo because it's a first generation uke. Maybe in the future after there have been many more builds and improvements, then it would possibly be worth the $$$.

Top Bottom