C String too loud with newly installed pickup

rpeters

Reaction score
I just installed a new passive shadow undersaddle pickup in my mainland ukulele and it seems to work great. The only thing that annoys me is that the C string is too loud when strumming. I can compensate when picking, but when I do a strum that one string stands out above the rest.

I may just need a new amp, as right now I'm using my keyboard amp with a simple EQ and reverb. I was thinking a Fishman Loudbox Mini may fix it.

My questions are: did I install it improperly? Is it because the string has a higher tension therefore pressing down on the pickup? Would a new set of strings help to solve this issue? If so do you recommend any sets that sound great with a pickup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think this was discussed recently in another thread - check here. I can't remember all the points that were covered there, but several things come to mind that you might want to look at:
  • Is the saddle slot flat?
  • Is the pickup seated properly?
  • Is the saddle seated flat/evenly on the pickup?
  • Think about getting a better amp (or preamp) with a good multiband equalizer
  • Try a different brand of strings - that's what I would always do first.

Just a few ideas to think about....

Thanks for your help and link. I will start with new strings and double checking the placement of the pickup.

Top Bottom