Brad Donaldson: First pics of Tenor on UU!!!

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Brad is best known for his Vintage Soprano but he is a luthier so can make a uke to your specs. He said my tenor was the 4th one he has made and has several tenors on the wait list. After the pics, I'm sure the demand of tenors will go up up up!!

SPECS:
All Honduran Mahogany Tenor connected at 12th fret and 16 frets total
Ebony bridge, fretboard, headstock veneer
Turquoise strip on bridge,
Peghed Tuners
Strap button on neck
Tru-oil Glossy Finish

Upgrades:
Cutaway
Maple Binding w/ endgraft
K&K Twinspot
Sunburst
Carbon Fiber Rod
Radius Fretboard
Side soundport

First of all, I would like to say Brad is a delight to work with! Since it was a custom, I didn’t want it to look like a production uke and I am very happy with the final product. There were two things I really wanted: (1) Blue (Favorite Color and UCLA alum) somewhere on the uke and (2) Sunburst. I wanted Blue sunburst but Brad talked me out of it as he thought it would be way out there. He did a tasteful job of my request and the sunburst is very time consuming since it’s applied by hand. Throughout the process, he was very sincere and was very enthused about making MY uke. I'm sure you'll have the same experience.

We chose Honduran Mahogany because I like the sound of Hog in general and Honduran is becoming harder to find. What’s even better is that the top and back are both one piece so there won’t be any issues of seam separation. I went with the upper bout sound hole so that more surface area to vibrate.

I wanted 15 frets to the body but he advised against it as he would have to move the bridge or extend the scale so we agreed on the cutaway. He had a proven winner in the 17” design and if he extends the scale, he would have to consider different bracing so I didn’t want mess with it. Since it connects at the 12th fret, the bridge is lower than my other ukes.

His tenor is ever so slightly smaller than my Koaloha and thinner as well. For reference, I put it in a tweed tenor case, which tends to run a tad small but the Donaldson fit in snuggly. I'm glad it fit cuz I had an extra case until now :)

My uke is #208 (he labels them chronologically), which is very important to me as I wanted someone who has experience as a luthier. I know more and more people are making handmade instruments but I believe there is an art and takes practice in making musical instruments sound good. For reference, I asked in a thread in Dec how many stringed instruments built and here are some people with at least 200 builds: Chuck Moore 450, Pete Howlett 530, Jake Macclay 275, Jake Calkin 275, Aaron Keim 220.

I will include a video to compare it to my other three tenors. I will make a comment about the sound at that time.

HOPE YOU LIKE THE PICS!!!
Brad 1.jpgBrad 2.jpgBrad 3.jpgBrad 4.jpgBrad 5.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, congrats on getting your uke. I am on the build list for this year for a tenor so I'm glad he's getting practice.....;)

Beautiful! Love the single soundhole and the soundport. I too am on Brad's list for a tenor, and had recently decided on essentially the same design. What are your initial impressions of the soundport and the radiused fretboard? These are both features I'm considering on mine. Its great to see some pics of a Donaldson tenor!

Last edited:
Beautiful! Love the single soundhole and the soundport. I too am on Brad's list for a tenor, and had recently decided on essentially the same design. What are your initial impressions of the soundport and the radiused fretboard? These are both features I'm considering on mine. Its great to see some pics of a Donaldson tenor!

I like the fact that I can hear what I play but I am not sure if it's the soundport or the fact that the soundhole is on the upper bout but either way, I like it closer to me. The radius fretboard makes it a little easier to play the bar chords but as I play it more and then switch right away to my other uke, there isn't that much difference to me. At the same time, I am glad to have tried it and all Mya Moes have it.

Sound sample please! :D

Congrats on your new custom, you made excellent choices. Love the overall shape and the turquoise dots are brilliant. :cool:

that is one beautiful uke nongdam, i am also on the list for a tenor from Brad, you have fed my impatience for now........

I like the fact that I can hear what I play but I am not sure if it's the soundport or the fact that the soundhole is on the upper bout but either way, I like it closer to me. The radius fretboard makes it a little easier to play the bar chords but as I play it more and then switch right away to my other uke, there isn't that much difference to me. At the same time, I am glad to have tried it and all Mya Moes have it.

Thanks for the information! I really like the idea of the soundhole in the upper bout to increase the contiguous portion of the soundboard. And I definately think I'm going to go with a soundport as well. You definately have a unique and gorgeous instrument!

HUGE CONGRATS!!! Can't wait for the sounds clips...

beautiful D, congrats mate. You made some great choices here with Brad and it makes for a stunning and unique instrument. aaah, gotta love that vintage sunburst :cool:

That uke looks great! I love sunbursts too.

Did the soundhole location limit the fret count to 16? I guess I don't see a way to get more frets on this uke unless the soundhole got smaller. Or was 16 fret what you wanted all along?

Congratulations. It looks wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing the video demonstration. (and then completely putting it out of my head so I won't go nuts until my turn comes in Brad's queue.)

Congrats D,
Lovely Looking Uke...wow...How does the lower bout port sound??? Happy Strummings..

Top Bottom