Australian Wood p***-Blackheart Sassafras Tenor

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Well, it's been such a busy few months. Instruments leaving the nest so quickly it's hard to keep track. I managed to document this one as part of the commission, so if interested you can see the progress shots on my workshop blog.

The client saw another instrument I did with the sister set of this wood and wanted something similar. I won't make an exact copy of a commissioned instrument and she was fine with that. Just told me to go where I felt the wood lead me. A dream client to be sure.

Anyway, the details are as follows

Body - Blackheart Sassafras
Top - Bearclaw Sitka Spruce
Fret Board -Indian Rosewood 12" radius
Bridge - Indian Rosewood
Bindings Indian Rosewood
Headstock Overlay - Indian Rosewood
Neck - Mahogany with Carbon Fibre Truss Rod
Finish - Mirotone 3220 over West Systems
Tuners - Shurtlers
Strings - D'Addario Titanium's

DSC_4741.jpgDSC_4742.jpgDSC_4746.jpgDSC_4747.jpgDSC_4755.jpg

It's the first time I've used these strings on a tenor. They are very hard and produce a clean harp like sound. I think that they would be ideally suited to a finger style player from a classical background.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice! Me too want to hear a sound sample...

Allen, more beautiful work from you. The sound hole rosette's asymmetry is lovely and the distinctive bridge pins: what are they made of?

Another vote for a sound sample. : )

Gotta love that rosette. I'm not one for thicker rosettes, especially shell, but that wood and detail is cool.

It's builds like this that that make me envious of a Spanish heel- nice cap.

I was checking out those Schertlers as an option for the Gilberts I have. I like the industrial rustic look in certain things (mostly cabs); tuners not so much, BUT, these I like.

Aaron

Absolutely beautiful! The heel, the headstock, the .... Well just beautiful.

Thanks everyone.

The bridge pins are boxwood.

As for sound sample, I'll have to ask the new owner if she might be able to provide one. I simply do not have time as I'm off to New South Wales to prep ukulele kits for your upcoming class the week leading up to the Cairns Ukulele Festival. Got a million things to do in the next couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at them on a guitar and thought that they looked kinda quirky/cool so tracked some down. I've got them for both paddle and slot head. Unfortunately they are actually guitar tuners in post length so there is that to take into account. Not such a big deal on a slot head but a paddle head you will need to make about 14mm thick.

They are really smooth with no backlash at all that I can feel. More fiddly to install than Grovers as you need a stepped hole for the tuner base and then shaft. I don't know how much lighter they are to other tuners as they didn't go on the scale yet.

Would I use them again. Yes on a slot head. Undecided on the paddle head. Most likely on a Baritone they would be fine as the thicker head stock wouldn't be out of place.

Hi Allen,
That Sassafras is beautiful. I sometimes have a hard time looking past the beauty of the wood to actually see the workmanship.
With this uke the quality of construction shines right through. Nice slothead, nice uke. Really well done.

Steve

Top Bottom