Help with Key locations on the finger board

hammer40

Reaction score
I downloaded Uncle Rod's Boot camp pdf and have a question about keys. He lists different chord structures to practice in 5 different keys, but doesn't mention where on the fingerboard to fret the chords in the different keys of A,C,D,F and G.

I'm completely new to music so this may seem like a dumb question but I couldn't figure it out. I searched online and found some info but it was still confusing to me. It all seemed geared toward people who had some understanding of music already and knew how to change keys.

The various Practice Sheets (#1 thru #5) in Boot Camp are each in different keys as noted in their titles. (C,F,G,A,D) respectively. I think this is what he is referring to.

The various Practice Sheets (#1 thru #5) in Boot Camp are each in different keys as noted in their titles. (C,F,G,A,D) respectively. I think this is what he is referring to.

That's correct but I don't understand how to change keys. I assume that you move down the fret board for a different key but that's as much as I can figure out. I don't know how far or how to know where a "key" begins as you move down the board. Again, sorry if this is basic but I'm a complete beginner.

You're making it more complicated than it really is. Just fret the chords exactly the way the chord sheets show. Those are all 1st position chords (meaning all the way up on the neck near the headstock). You don't have to worry about doing anything to change the key. The chords are all grouped in the right key for you. you'll get very good at chord transitions after a bit of work on that boot camp.

Hi, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but maybe some of this will help.

A chord is played the same way regardless of the key--for example, a first position C chord is played the same (0003) on your uke whether you are playing a song in the key of C or in the key of G.

If you want to change the key of a song, you will need to "transpose" each chord in the song. You can google that (lots of information out there), but here is one place to start.

This page shows all the notes on the fretboard. If you want to play scales in different keys, this page will get you started.

You're making it more complicated than it really is. Just fret the chords exactly the way the chord sheets show. Those are all 1st position chords (meaning all the way up on the neck near the headstock). You don't have to worry about doing anything to change the key. The chords are all grouped in the right key for you. you'll get very good at chord transitions after a bit of work on that boot camp.

Ok, I think I got it. I thought you had to fret the chord in a different position on the board for the different keys he listed. Thanks for the help

hammer40, Uncle Rod here. Sorry for the confusion.

Each of the Practice Sheet pages is a stand-alone 'obstacle course' in just one key as noted in the title of the Practice Sheet.

I also 'created' Uncle Rod's Self-Examination Tool for Ukulele Proficiency (U R SET UP) : )
That 'tool' or test does require modulating from one key to another, but there are only a few chords in each
key. Please do a search for 'Self-Examination' to find a few threads that may be of value to you.

keep uke'in',

hammer40, Uncle Rod here. Sorry for the confusion.

Each of the Practice Sheet pages is a stand-alone 'obstacle course' in just one key as noted in the title of the Practice Sheet.

I also 'created' Uncle Rod's Self-Examination Tool for Ukulele Proficiency (U R SET UP) : )
That 'tool' or test does require modulating from one key to another, but there are only a few chords in each
key. Please do a search for 'Self-Examination' to find a few threads that may be of value to you.

keep uke'in',

No problem Uncle Rod, I was over thinking the whole process. Thank you for having such a great tool for all of us beginners to utilize, as we "try" to learn to play the uke. I will look for your Self-Examination Tool as well.

Hi, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but maybe some of this will help.

A chord is played the same way regardless of the key--for example, a first position C chord is played the same (0003) on your uke whether you are playing a song in the key of C or in the key of G.

If you want to change the key of a song, you will need to "transpose" each chord in the song. You can google that (lots of information out there), but here is one place to start.

This page shows all the notes on the fretboard. If you want to play scales in different keys, this page will get you started.

Many thanks. You have provided an excellent explanation with excellent references to see how it all fits together. I'm sending the first one out to our uke club.

Last edited:
Top Bottom