"Take A Whiff On Me"

H

Hippie Dribble

traditional. music and lyrics adapted by Woody Guthrie.

In 'Folk Song USA', John and Alan Lomax state they collected verses to this song in Texas, Louisiana and New York, indicating that it was widespread among cocaine users. To them it was a song straight from the cities, from "the red light district", "skidrows", "gambling hells" and "dens of vice". But it also followed the cocaine habit out into the levee camps and the country barrel-houses of the Deep South.

Woody didn't record his take on it until April of 1944, with Folkways Records. The first known recording was by Charlie Poole and The North Carolina Ramblers in 1927, where the lyrics were changed to "Take A Drink On Me". Woody Guthrie however had no care for such ideas of political correctness or censorship.

played on a vintage (1930's) custom Regal flamed mahogany soprano ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRb-Wybt8o

WARNING" This song STINKS!!! :p

Last edited:
Luckily mate you are in Tasmania, so I dont need to take toooo much of a whiff of you.
Liked the playing especially the picking out of the melody part which is always cool.

Hey Eugene,
You snuck one by me again...great job mate!! wow another hat he he..keep um coming

Aha! So that's what it means!!! I only know the White Stripes version and hadn't a clue what Jack White was singing about.

Top Bottom