L.R.Baggs Five.O Ukulele Pickup Review with Guest Reviewer Colmes

Colin IS awesome.

Nice test, and I particularly like the comparison to the MiSi. I really prefer the sound on the LR Baggs (maybe due to the volume, but maybe the tone, I'm not sure) and it was nice to see the side by side comparison to gauge them on the same uke.

I have the MiSi in my Kamaka tenor, and just got the LR Baggs 5-0 in my KoAloha tenor. I really prefer the LR Baggs due in large part to the ease of use. I once had the charge go out on the MiSi on a trip, where I didn't have the charger with me so I really like the ability to just swap out the battery in the LR Baggs.

My comment on Colins account.
"Thanks for the review I am going to be putting a pickup in one of my Ukuleles so this defiantly helps
The sound TO ME on the L R Braggs sounded a lot more distinctive, defined, maybe a bit more brighter, stronger. more responsive.
Misi sounded a lot more mellower, slightly muted.
"
Cool playing.

Last edited:
Superb stuff Colin, really superb. I am blown away by the difference in tone the LR Baggs makes, it totally brings that instrument to life. Especially in the mid range and treble end...so crisp and clean sounding. Geez, the MiSi sounded muddy in comparison. Thanks Colin for all the work that went into that, and to Tim for posting.

Nice test, and I particularly like the comparison to the MiSi. I really prefer the sound on the LR Baggs (maybe due to the volume, but maybe the tone, I'm not sure) and it was nice to see the side by side comparison to gauge them on the same uke.

I have the MiSi in my Kamaka tenor, and just got the LR Baggs 5-0 in my KoAloha tenor. I really prefer the LR Baggs due in large part to the ease of use. I once had the charge go out on the MiSi on a trip, where I didn't have the charger with me so I really like the ability to just swap out the battery in the LR Baggs.

Ditto. I like the sound of the LR Baggs better. I got two MISI, maybe a 5-0 in my next uke. :p

As for the battery with the MISI, there's the 9v battery recharge trick so you don't always have to have the charger handy. :)

Just curious, the Mi-Si uses a LR Baggs UST. Does anyone know if the Five-O UST has different specs than the one incorporated with the Mi-Si?

I have a Five.0 in my Koaloha. I absolutely love it. Sounds great live and for recording. Highly recommended!

Great review and thanks for trying to keep all things similar except the pickups. Very helpful.

Just curious, the Mi-Si uses a LR Baggs UST. Does anyone know if the Five-O UST has different specs than the one incorporated with the Mi-Si?

I have conflicting reports on that. They say they tuned it for the uke, however the guy at NAMM said that it was the same but shorter. My gut feeling is the UST itself is the same, just the pre-amp on both are different. I have an Element in mine. I'll compare with Colin when I see him at UWC. Mike said that the pre-amp on the Element has a higher output so we'll see. It uses a full 9V battery so I'm assuming the sound will be cleaner (higher SNR).

The preamp makes a HUGE difference. I have a MiSi in my Pineapple Sunday and the Element in my Tenor. The output is really low out of the MiSi which means I have to use an external pre-amp or turn the amp way up. This tends to introduce some white noise. I don't have this problem with the Element since the output is so much higher.

I figured the pre-amps are gonna be different, hence the output. Mahalos, and yea lemme know what you find out .. .. .. did you guys get some beer yesterday?

Sure did! We ended up going to Buffalo Bills. It was awesome. I love that place!

Just so I don't feel like I hijacked the thread, great job Colin! Now the uke community gets to hear how awesome LR Baggs is!

Bahaha hijack away :)

Thanks everyone I'm glad people are getting something out of this review. First one i've ever done and I have to say, you people that talk to cameras all the time like they are people, kudos to you. That was probably the toughest part.

This review was about 2 months in the making and I'm happy that Tim let me review and keep this toy, I feel all special and stuff. It really is a really nice pickup, and I know a lot of the big uke players have this as their pickup. So if you want to be like the pros, get the LR baggs! (Did that sound as commercial to you as it did to me?)

Great job Colin! I definitely liked the Baggs a lot better...and I've got two tenors with MiSi Acoustic Trio pickups...

I recently compared the MiSi with a $20 stick on soundboard pickup - recording simultaneously to the left and right channels - and there are some things I like better about that $20 passive pickup over the MiSi. For one, the soundboard pickup had a much better dynamic range. The MiSi was very compressed. There are times that compression is good but I don't like having it forced on me - if I want compression I want to do it outboard and control it.

I thought maybe the compression was a factor of the pickup being a UST - but after watching your review I'm more inclined to think it's the preamp.

John

hi every body,

i want to add a pickup to my ukes and i am on the fence twixt Mi-Si and 5 o. the consensus on teh thread seems to 5o is better.

i've clicked on the Colin's you tube link for the review, but it says its "private".

is there a way to view the review?

thanks
eric

Top Bottom