Backorder Backorder Backorder

muzikengineer

Reaction score
Hey Guys! :D

I have been trying to get my fingers on a Lanikai LU8E for about 4 weeks now, First tried Musicians friend (probably won't be shopping with them anymore due to them lying to me about backorder status) Currently I am on backorder status with a music company in CA called Music For All. This morning i managed to find a company in Michigan that has 2 in stock, So, I may cancel my music for all order and go with the guy in Michigan...

Are backorders common with 8 string Tenors? or all ukes in general?

This is my first Uke BTW

I'm not sure what they mean by back order but it's not unusual for a shop to have to order in a uke for you from the main distributor (if you're talking about Lanikais and similar brands). It should only take a few days. I guess it's cheaper for smaller shops to buy them on demand rather than pay out for them only for them not to sell or to take a while to sell.

That's how my local uke shop does it. They had a slotted head 6 string in stock just yesterday.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing, I don't see a lot of ukes in general at music stores...Musicians friend has a bigger problem than just ukes on backorder...I spend 5 grand a year at least on equipment (I am an Engineer) I've canceled 3500 dollars worth through musicians friend because of backorder problems this year alone...It really isn't too hard to keep quotas on stock lol..

Aren't Lanikai's built in china? So they'd most always be made in bulk...We are not talking about a 15 by 15 foot building and one craftsman here......

Anyway, love this forum!! probably the best instrument forum i've seen so far!! :rock:

JP

I forgot to say welcome! Everyone here is really friendly and there are tonnes of great resources here, it's an excellent place to be.

You're right Lanikais are made in China (except the solid koa ones, they're made in Hawaii but are quite rare I think). I expect they get shipped to the US and Europe to importers and from then to the retailers. I agree it seems strange that things aren't readily available but I suppose ukuleles are still only purchased by a minority of people.

It's just bad business to turn away someone like yourself who wants to spend a lot of money because of back order issues, idiots!

Enjoy playing! I have two Lanikai ukuleles and love them so you won't be disappointed.

John

I thought I'd prove nay-sayers of Musician's Friend wrong but... I may be missing something but I charged my debit card and now the transaction is gone and I had to manually message them for them to finally ship out my order. They have this "convenient" chart of your orders and my was "being packed" for two days before I told them and I was put on the "Must Ship" list. Are you jacking me? You're a business, every customer deserves attention. Ay. :p

-Jeff

I thought I'd prove nay-sayers of Musician's Friend wrong but... I may be missing something but I charged my debit card and now the transaction is gone and I had to manually message them for them to finally ship out my order. They have this "convenient" chart of your orders and my was "being packed" for two days before I told them and I was put on the "Must Ship" list. Are you jacking me? You're a business, every customer deserves attention. Ay. :p

-Jeff

:rofl: That is EXACTLY what happened to me man!! They had being packed for 48 hours, Then it went to back order. I called them and asked, How can something that is being packed go on backorder? somebody has to manually put that into the computer. So you'd think they'd have it in their hands!! its CRAZY!....

I ended up doing a search online for the current company im on backorder for. I called them at 1143 at night and the owner of the company picked up..They close at 9pm. We talked for an hour and he said me wasn't sure. The next morning he confirmed they were out but was waiting for a shipment...I am still on backorder status but at least i can call the owner of the company im currently with..........

Have a Great evening!! :music:

You're right Lanikais are made in China (except the solid koa ones, they're made in Hawaii but are quite rare I think). I expect they get shipped to the US and Europe to importers and from then to the retailers. I agree it seems strange that things aren't readily available but I suppose ukuleles are still only purchased by a minority of people.

Small point regarding Lanikai distribution, the way it was explained to me is that there is one distribution point for Lanikai here in the US and it is almost in my backyard here in Glen Allen, Virginia. They are distributed by the German Company Hohner, Inc. which will be familiar to many of you. All the Hohner musical instruments - uke, guitars, accordians, harmonicas, recorders, melodicas, drums, etc. - flow through this Hohner warehouse here near Richmond. Because of a business relationship I have with them, I am over there about twice a month. It's fun to walk through the warehouse and see thousands of all types of musical instruments. Almost heaven!

Small point regarding Lanikai distribution, the way it was explained to me is that there is one distribution point for Lanikai here in the US and it is almost in my backyard here in Glen Allen, Virginia. They are distributed by the German Company Hohner, Inc. which will be familiar to many of you. All the Hohner musical instruments - uke, guitars, accordians, harmonicas, recorders, melodicas, drums, etc. - flow through this Hohner warehouse here near Richmond. Because of a business relationship I have with them, I am over there about twice a month. It's fun to walk through the warehouse and see thousands of all types of musical instruments. Almost heaven!

Ah!! That explains alot actually! Cause this company i am on backorder for has a load of Hohner instruments, I've never heard of them.... :D

Top Bottom