Returning home fron Reno Fest. I must have stepped on.....

MGM

Reaction score
Finally at airport on way back to hawaii via salt lake....yesterday after packing and shipping the fest stuff back had a few hours to spend in the hotel free. Sure must of had lady luck looking down as I could do no wrong at the tables....even my 5.00 free slot play went over to good to mention on first spin...the fest was well organized and the venue great....lots of great workshops and I especially enjoyed Craig and Cali, Michael Powers and Gerald Ross did such a great job sitting in with almost every act and MC!d te sat concert so well. Chris Fuchigami who was voted to return did a outstanding job. Only drawback is my skin is dry as death valley and my lisps are falling off and my nose won't stop bleeding....Kleenex please....

Thanks, Mike, for all your effort showing those of us who can't travel to it what the festival was like. You may be tired, with no voice and shriveled lips, but you've done good! And thanks for pointing out builders who are not widely known, like Steve vanPelt.

It's nice to have your unique presence in the uke community.

Is so dry even my cuticles are cracking and bleeding

Mahalo Mike for taking the time and sharing with us your experience there...we certainly appriciate it...and
your sacafrice.... really enjoyed the videos, almost like being there....have you thought of it as your second job
Ha Ha...Hope you hand feels and gets bettah too..

Thanks for all the reports from Reno. I hope you re-humidify quickly when you get back to Oahu.

Please tell the Reno organizers not to hold the Reno Festival on the first Sunday of April next year. That's the same weekend as the Northern California Ukulele Festival in Hayward, and I don't want to have to choose between them again (I pick NorCal because i get to perform there with my ukulele class).

You sound like a dried out sponge. Happened to me when I went to Arizona. Take heart though, when you get off the plain on Oahu it'll feel like stepping into a warm bath!
Los Angeles is pretty dry, but last May when we went to the New York Uke Fest, I came off the plane with my worse case ever of chapped lips. I thought my body would recover on it's own, but had to buy some heavy duty lip balm after a day or so. I am not sure how much of that was from the plane flight, and how much from the weather.

–Lori

aloha mike...i saw pudgy at the northern calif uke festival he said he was hanging out with you...must of been cold.. my fingers are always cracked and bleeding this time of year...have you ever heard of kaula ukukleles from australia..i see them on ebay now??? anyway it was so windy yesterday wow...

I had a great time at the Reno Uke Fest too! One of the funniest things was watching Mike "water the ukes". He had plastic table cloths under the ukuleles displayed and every once and a while he would grab a cup of water and sprinkle it all around the tables to increase the humidity. It didn't seem all that dry to me but I'm from the Phoenix area. What really freaked me out was when it started to snow on Saturday!

Nix

here is a picture from the airport waiting to board...firt time amd i go to vegas aot that this bad dryness has affected me...

photobucket-9602-1333384690245.jpg

I was in lake Tahoe a week ago, got the same thing! Getting back home fixed the problem in two days, a little lotion too.

Last edited:
Aloha Mike! Thanks for putting the video together and sharing them! You've opened up a lot of new worlds for those of us who don't ever get to see these uke fests. Mahalo nui loa!
By the time you get back home, you'll be right as rain again. :)

Top Bottom