Broken bridge help needed

strumsilly

Reaction score
I have a relatively inexpensive Lanaiki S_T . you can see the problem from the picture. I know the best way to repair would be to replace the bridge, which I don't feel qualified to do myself. If this were a more expensive instrument , I would pay to do it. I could glue a new bridge on, but I feel I would mess it up getting the old one off myself. I had a KoAloha with a string through bridge, and thought I might sand the tie part down smooth and just drill holes for the strings, which I feel comfortable doing. Anyone see a problem with doing that. I don't plan on selling so I'm not concerned about resale.I took a look inside and it appears there is bracing running across this area in an x pattern. Thanks in advance.
lanaikibridge.jpg

I'm no Luthier , but I would just reglue the part that came off. Might be worthwhile to drill 3 holes in the center of the slot spaces and glue a piece of dowel in each hole for more support.

I'm no Luthier , but I would just reglue the part that came off. Might be worthwhile to drill 3 holes in the center of the slot spaces and glue a piece of dowel in each hole for more support.
I did reglue with Titebond and it lasted about 3 months. looking for a more permanant fix.

I can see no problem at all with smoothing out that tie block area and then drilling through for a string through bridge. Only issues to be aware of is the presence of a brace where you may be drilling a hole. Check that out first.

As well, it may not have a hardwood bridge patch on the underside so you'll want to think about how you support the string end. Beads and small washers are options.

I can see no problem at all with smoothing out that tie block area and then drilling through for a string through bridge. Only issues to be aware of is the presence of a brace where you may be drilling a hole. Check that out first.

As well, it may not have a hardwood bridge patch on the underside so you'll want to think about how you support the string end. Beads and small washers are options.
thanks, this is what I wanted to hear. there are braces and I'll try to miss them. I have lots of beads and I'll use them just to be on the safe side.

Either sand down or glue back the broken area, refinish and drill 4 new holes through the body and use beads and knots on the strings. You should never have a problem on this setup.

Good luck,
Darryl

No one thinks the dowels through the bridge would be a good fix ? Why not?

Two reasons:

1. There is very little depth to drill into in either of the broken halves.

2. Dowels will only resist the shear forces if they are very accurately fitted - if there's any slack the joint will shear before the dowels do any work. Not easy here to achieve a precision fit.

Two reasons:

1. There is very little depth to drill into in either of the broken halves.

2. Dowels will only resist the shear forces if they are very accurately fitted - if there's any slack the joint will shear before the dowels do any work. Not easy here to achieve a precision fit.

Thanks ,............

An option in the sand and drill holes suggestion is to drill the holes large enough to use guitar style pins. It seems to me this would make string changing easier and would look like it was supposed to be that way.

Remembering of course that pins are tapered. You can't just drill a hole, you'll need to find the right size reamer to get the taper right.

An option in the sand and drill holes suggestion is to drill the holes large enough to use guitar style pins. It seems to me this would make string changing easier and would look like it was supposed to be that way.
thanks, I hadn;t thought of that. I think I prefer the string through option. I have a uke with pins and they occasionally pop out. It is a little tricky to fish the strings out sometimes though.

Top Bottom