18th Century...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Here's some of that really old cuban I've been going on about:

DSCF0712.jpg

Simple and elegant. Very nice - thanks for sharing.

Beautiful, and the Uke ain't bad looking either. That wood is great.
The fellow I got some from said it was very sensitive to light, after cutting from the log quarter, he wraps it up to keep it in the dark.
Heck, I want it to go all dark!

I've read this several times - is it hearsay or has anyone experienced this because I am not convinced. i had aboard similar to this which remained brick red all the time with no further distinctive deepening.

Depends on the Mahogany. Yes, the dense fine grained stuff goes deep reddish brown. One thing I have seen though is differences in depth to which the wood will go under different finishes. In my experience, Mahogany does not go to it's potential deep reddish brown under nitrocellulose like it will under oil or varnish. I have not sprayed urethanes on Mahogany, so cannot speak there. Initial tests with epoxy makes me think that Mahogany will go very deep finished in epoxy. What did you finish that uke with Pete? Did that Mahogany have a noticeably deeper tone when it was raw? It is absolutely gorgeous....

Just epoxy grain filler and nitro. No stain or any colour enhancement. It was just gorgeous out of the box so to speak but it was as porous as blotting paper...

The cuban that I have milled started out extremely blond, like almost maple blond. We were advised to stand the boards/slabs up in the shade and allow them to surface dry and "tan" for a few days before stickering. We were told that the wood would take a sticker stain that would not sand away if not allowed to stand for a few days. I do not remember if this was an oxidation issue or a moisture issue.

Regardless this is the color that mine has changed to 7 months after milling, and being dried in a dehumidified closet that reaches 130* F. the wood was dried untill at a consistant 6% mc for more then 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom