Good Book to Start With?

Thinker

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for recommendations on technique/music books to start out with. It seems a lot has come our recently - but I'm looking for a good place to begin as a rank beginner (albeit one that can read music).

Thanks!

Not a book, but I found Jimmy DeVille's DVDs and his blog "Playing by Ear" really useful when I got started.
Ukuleleehunt has very good lessons, and of course there's the awesome Uke Minutes.
Have fun!

For technique - ukulele for dummies. Great book.

Ukulele for Dummies and Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp for chord exercises

Ukulele for Dummies + Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps to challenge and keep interested.

Oh, and there are some great, early 20th century ukulele method books at ezfolk.com's ukulele page. These are written for ukulele tuned to DAF#B. You can tune up a step---the tension won't hurt your uke---or use a capo.

May I recommend our very own Ukulele Underground University? I've been doing it since Friday and love it. You'll learn at your own pace, of course, but Aldrine is a great teacher and I find his lessons to be very easy to understand and follow.

Oh, and there are some great, early 20th century ukulele method books at ezfolk.com's ukulele page. These are written for ukulele tuned to DAF#B. You can tune up a step---the tension won't hurt your uke---or use a capo.

I really don't think any book is a good place for a complete beginner to start. Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of good ukulele books - I just think they should be the second (or later) step for a new player.

There are so many video resources now (many of them free) and the most important thing for a beginner is to begin playing - not reading about playing. I also think it's very important for the beginner to begin playing music that appeals to them almost immediately. Most books present "easy" songs but if the songs don't appeal to the person then they're just silly exercises.

So, grab your uke...glance at the chord diagrams that probably came with it...and search youtube for people playing songs you like. Between the chord diagrams and seeing their hands in the video you can pretty much figure things out and you'll be encouraged because you're actually making sounds you want to hear!

Just my $0.02 but I went around this block a few times on guitar years ago before youtube was around and I've yet to find a beginner's music book that impressed me as a good starting place!

John

Ukulele for Dummies + Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps to challenge and keep interested.

Fretboard Roadmaps is hardly suited to beginners ... unless that beginner already has a pretty good understanding of rudimentary music theory.

Just my couple of shekels.

Fretboard Roadmaps is hardly suited to beginners ... unless that beginner already has a pretty good understanding of rudimentary music theory.

Just my couple of shekels.

I'll grab a look. I should probably have said - I can read music, played saxophone for some time, and, eons ago, played guitar often and badly, but with gusto.

As a writer of a book for beginners, strangely i agree. I've seen very few tutor books that work well, and the tuition stuff is available online. At their worst, they tend to be rigid and I think new players need to relax and find their own style. Loads of free web resources, grab some chord sheets and chords to simple songs, read up on basics and move on.

The book I wrote was for exactly the above reason - it wasn't a tutor book, it was a handbook or owners guide dealing with the other stuff like how to buy one etc.

Once you've got on with basics, I think theory books have some place, but nothing better than a paid for tutor or playing with others for free.

I really don't think any book is a good place for a complete beginner to start. Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of good ukulele books - I just think they should be the second (or later) step for a new player.

There are so many video resources now (many of them free) and the most important thing for a beginner is to begin playing - not reading about playing. I also think it's very important for the beginner to begin playing music that appeals to them almost immediately. Most books present "easy" songs but if the songs don't appeal to the person then they're just silly exercises.

So, grab your uke...glance at the chord diagrams that probably came with it...and search youtube for people playing songs you like. Between the chord diagrams and seeing their hands in the video you can pretty much figure things out and you'll be encouraged because you're actually making sounds you want to hear!

Just my $0.02 but I went around this block a few times on guitar years ago before youtube was around and I've yet to find a beginner's music book that impressed me as a good starting place!

John

Nailed it, John. I don't know that I would've taken to the uke so quickly -- and definitely not so completely -- any other way.

I will say that, after messing about on youtube for a couple of weeks, I found UUU to be tremendously helpful. It helped me to break the process into pieces -- strumming/picking patterns, chord progressions, counting time -- in a way that, as someone unversed in other instruments, saved a lot of time and combatted a bunch of bad habits.

That, and the music theory class is fascinating.

Good luck, and stick with it!

Top Bottom