I've got my hands on Aquila's NEW Low G Strings

keliiyama

Reaction score
Just strung up a uke yesturday with Mimmo's new Low G. It has copper dust infused in it. It looks red and you can really see and feel the copper dust texture. It strings up fairly easily and breaks in quick. It settled into tune in about 10 minutes of playing (which is a record for Aquila:)! It sound reeeeal nice and I'm digging it the more I play with it. It is a very 'stretchy' string, different than Nylgut. If your venturing into the land of the 'Low G', I would grab some these. Very pliable, no erosion, and they don't diminish on the frets like wound low G's do. And the color is a nice change from the common silver. They are available so look for them. Shoots everyone!!!!!;)

thanks, sounds like just the thing to replace my rusty low g on my Cordoba

Aloha,
Is it a set or a single string?

"They are available so look for them."
Available where? I looked, but didn't find them for sale.
Thanks!

I don't know if they come in a set. Mimmo sent some to me as samples:) But he told me that they are already available. Hopefully they could come in both sets and singles. He has them in Soprano, Concert, and Tenor sizes. He gave me all three. I only tried the Concert one.

It looks like he has baritone D and G strings as well. I'm looking forward to trying these!

Mimmo sent me a sample too! Woohoo! I got a concert and and soprano size. I went for the soprano because to me, they always sound like crap with a low g. I used fresh aquilas for the other 3 strings and laced up my Ohana pineapple. I am seriously blown away! The string does not drown out the other strings like wound-g's do. In fact, it sounds a bit muted, which is good. The fact that the string is actually thinner than the C string means that the intonation doesn't get completely out of wack either. I am amazed a soprano can sound this good low-g. The biggest endorsement I can give is that I filed the nut on my Ohana to accommodate the new string. Its now committed to this string.
Another nice thing I noticed is for Flea players.. It will fit the nut if you shove it in with your nail, and since its not wound, it works fine with the plastic fretboard versions.

Big thanks to Mimmo and the people at Aquilla for coming up with this new tech string. I will definitely be buying them.

Sounds exciting, I love low G, but I do not love wound strings on my ukuleles. I have just been using plain C strings at lower tension. Going to have to run up to HMS and see if MGM has any.

I went for the soprano because to me, they always sound like crap with a low g... I am seriously blown away! The string does not drown out the other strings like wound-g's do. In fact, it sounds a bit muted, which is good.
Big thanks to Mimmo and the people at Aquilla for coming up with this new tech string. I will definitely be buying them.

My thoughts, exactly.

Tried 'em out on my Black Bear Pineapple: excellent! Hamano H100: excellent! and Bruko travel uke: excellent! Maybe most excited for the change in the Bruko; the maple is super bright, so I've been trying to mellow it out a bit with Worth BMs. Add the new low G and whoa! whole new sound.

Excellent work, Mimmo, and thanks for the samples.

Top Bottom