PDA

View Full Version : Kanilea prices raises today...new prices on website

MGM
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Aloha ...Joe and Kristin just gave me a copy of the price list for 2012. Here is a sample of new
K 1 satin tenor $1075.00
K1 gloss tenor. $1165.00
K 1 tenor island tattoo satin. $1,269.00
K 1 premium wood tenor gloss. $1,519.00
50th state tenor. 3,000.00

See the website for all new prices...if you didn't order today or soon you will be hit with thee increases

Dan Uke
04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Kamaka raised prices and now Kanilea...better buy Koaloha as they're next

Tigeralum2001
04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Anyone else waiting for the uke bubble to pop so they can pick up expensive uke at a cheap price?

Seriously, though, you can buy custom ukes for those prices...

keliiyama
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
WOW! $300 dollar increase in the K1 Premium Tenor!!! I believe it's still worth it......as long as the wood comes from log 50 or 14:)

Gadzukes!
04-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Their prices were consistent from 2001 until around 2006, then they started to climb. Check out the Internet Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20060306064859/http://kanileaukulele.com/index8.html

It's really funny looking at Kamaka's site. They had a "coming soon" web page for 5 YEARS. Talk about Island Time! :)

wickedwahine11
04-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Kamaka raised prices and now Kanilea...better buy Koaloha as they're next

Wow, I was just thinking that with the Kamaka and Kanilea ukes now priced so much over the KoAlohas, the KoAlohas are an even better deal - great sound and the best warranty and customer service of the three. All three are great ukes, but if I didn't already have the Kanilea and Kamaka tenors, I don't think I'd buy a new one now over a KoAloha at those prices. Unless KoAloha jacks theirs up to the same amount. Kanileas are gorgeous ukes (I'd argue the prettiest of the three), and Kamakas have name cache and quality, but I'm not sure if they are worth that much extra $$$.

chrimess
04-04-2012, 05:41 AM
are we starting to see the "ukulele-bubble"?

GX9901
04-04-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm guessing they all had to raise prices due to increasing costs. I'm just glad that I'm done with UAS for the most part. :p

PoiDog
04-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Woah. Seeing those prices makes me appreciate the good fortune and timing I had in buying my Kanlie'a. It would be close to $400 more now!

wickedwahine11
04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Woah. Seeing those prices makes me appreciate the good fortune and timing I had in buying my Kanlie'a. It would be close to $400 more now!

Ditto. I can't believe that my K2 tenor is now an MSRP of $1475!

Mandarb
04-04-2012, 09:02 AM
How much was the price increase? Everyone seems to be taking it fairly well in stride - not like in this thread where Kamaka's price increase was revealed.... http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?55726-Kamaka-factory-increased-ukulele-prices-in-20&highlight=kamaka+price

808boy
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Aloha,
Au'we, every product or service goes up over time. That's why most of us have cost/value awareness. The Luthier built ukes looks more enticing now, don't it? Whether it be mid level or higher priced, built to your spec's. It may not have the Hawaiian connection, but it does have the Hawaiian flavor.
For those of you that own "K's", congrats, for the rest of us, I say look to the many Luthiers out there, more love goes into each build than production ukes.
I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and even though I can afford to buy a "K", I'm in the Luthier built mode.
The following was just my opinion..................................BO....... ..................

Plainsong
04-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Prices for everything I'm into are skyrocketing more and more. I hold nothing against the K brands... but I'm glad I got the ones I want too. When I got this uke with the dlx upgrade...it was I think about 400 bucks cheaper. Like I said, prices just are bound to go up, but I'm happy for my own wallet too.

Now alls I gotta do is get the dream tenor, and I'm done. :)

uke4life
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Now alls I gotta do is get the dream tenor, and I'm done. :)

Let me know how that goes...I've said that before LOL ;)

wickedwahine11
04-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Aloha,
Au'we, every product or service goes up over time. That's why most of us have cost/value awareness. The Luthier built ukes looks more enticing now, don't it?

You are absolutely right. I wouldn't even consider getting my K2 tenor now at the price point that has been set for them. I would just wait for either the Aldrine model or try to get a Moore Bettah or other custom uke.

That is why I think it makes KoAloha look like an even better bargain. Kanilea and Kamaka may make prettier ukes, but they are not $200 prettier or better sounding. For an entry level tenor, I think until KoAloha raises their prices (which they may very well end up doing), it makes the other two Ks look overpriced (or means KoAlohas are a steal). Just my two cents though.

KimosTherapy
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Aloha,
Au'we, every product or service goes up over time. That's why most of us have cost/value awareness. The Luthier built ukes looks more enticing now, don't it? Whether it be mid level or higher priced, built to your spec's. It may not have the Hawaiian connection, but it does have the Hawaiian flavor.
For those of you that own "K's", congrats, for the rest of us, I say look to the many Luthiers out there, more love goes into each build than production ukes.
I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and even though I can afford to buy a "K", I'm in the Luthier built mode.
The following was just my opinion..................................BO....... ..................

Ho, Bruddah BO!

I'm on the same boat as you, Brah! I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and honestly ... production ukes don't really interest me anymore - not even the "K" brands. I'm definitely in the Luthier build mode ... especially the luthiers who are not so well known as of yet because you get a custom instrument built to your specs at a great price!

Dan Uke
04-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Ho, Bruddah BO!

I'm on the same boat as you, Brah! I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and honestly ... production ukes don't really interest me anymore - not even the "K" brands. I'm definitely in the Luthier build mode ... especially the luthiers who are not so well known as of yet because you get a custom instrument built to your specs at a great price!

Hey Bruddah Kimo,

Who would have thought that there would be a bunch of luthiers in the US that are cheaper than "K" production ukes!! It's great to have quality instruments at all price points. It's a win situation for all of us!!

Plainsong
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
You nailed it down dead on with this post . The uke bubble is destined to pop and you'll be able to buy most of those high end ( not worth it even before the price increase ) ukes for dimes on the dollar like chord wood .

It's called ' market over saturation ' . Greed always fails in the end .

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're not worth it, because they are. And besides the overheads of any manufacturing company, you have essentially tiny companies with worldwide distribution, and the increased production headaches it brings, and the increased costs in the supply chain (koa anyone?)... all of this costs.

But take that way, and they are great instruments still. And when demand increases, what is a company supposed to do? Operate at a loss? Work beyond the limits of production? Yeah that'll mean awesome quality.

It is what it is. If and when a bubble bursts, then the prices will lower, and if the costs of production didn't decrease.... well then that'll be interesting.

kapahulu50
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
The kanilea website has a great section on their manufacturing process with lots of step by step photos. Technically these may be "production" instruments but the process is a manual one just like the custom builds. If you pay craftsmen a reasonable wage, you'd be hard pressed to turn out that level of quality for under $1500-2000

GVlog
04-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm guessing increased demand from Japan is driving up the prices.
:p

efiscella
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
I started smoking hand rolled cigars during the cigar boom of a few years back. Cigars were a hot commodity. The old established manufacturers found themselves having to compete with the new upstarts who were just cranking them out as fast as they could with contracted third world companies, and charging as much as they could for them. The quality was not the same, but in order to compete in a fast evolving market, the old established firms were forced to come up with new product lines, faster production, and gimmicks. If they didn't they would be swallowed up. The prices all over kept skyrocketing-- but then the bubble burst. it was the new start-ups who could not hang in. they dropped one by one. The price of cigars did not come down-- the result was that old tried and true companies with long ties to quality hand made cigars weathered the storm and were now left standing alone and getting a decent price for their products. They Cut their production back to the products that made them successful in the first place and continued to win the respect of the customer-- but end result is that the price is forever higher.

I believe the same will happen to ukuleles. When the bubble burst, all the new gimmicks will fade. The entrepreneur who is going to China and having plants there kick out products fast and furious will fade away, and the old established quality hand made companies will continue. Their prices will not come down. Sure, you may be able to find a sale on the secondary market as people try to dump their ukuleles because they are not cool anymore, or they just need some cash, however, the K's are not going to drop the price. Not with limited supply of materials, production costs, fuel, and still world-wide demand keeping them going. A good K brand will just become more valuable and more of a treasure.

I spent from September of 2011 till last week trying to secure the K brands that I wanted to hold on to. I am glad that I got my Kanile'a (s) before the price increase, for sure and I appreciate the fact that their value will continue to increase. This is not to knock the custom builders. I have not dwelt in that realm before and therefore plead ignorance. I just know that for me, purchasing that K brand is like purchasing gold.

I remember when I graduated college and I was buying my first quality business suite. A friend of mine who was a clothing buyer for a large department store looked at my first choice and said, "Here is your first lesson in clothing. Spend your money on the classics, classic styles, and traditional manufacturers. Never the fads. Buy quality and expect to pay a high price for it, but it will last you a lifetime." Sure enough, he was right and I have used that model in my ukulele purchases also. No fads here (except for that Kala thin line which is just practical- that's all).

pakhan
04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Lots of repect to folks here.

I reckon it is hard to make predictions largely because the uke market is very different to it's closest cousin, the Guitar market. There is a wider player base and accumulating new players all the time- from guitar players, to young folks picking it up from school programmes. Plus, there is no telling what would happen if the collectors and art crowd come in. Suffice to say it is in flux and it would be interesting to see what will happen in the near future.

Plainsong
04-05-2012, 02:46 PM
That's a great post efiscella. Something similar is going on with mechanical movement watches, and I'm glad I got my order for the one I care about while I still have the chance.

It's the old story of that thing your into, and then the rest of the world discovers it and it goes mainstream. It's just gonna hurt the wallet, but luckily there are now a lot of brands and builders to choose from.

coolkayaker1
04-05-2012, 05:42 PM
That's a great post efiscella.

I agree with it. The cigar and dress suit analogies are on the dot.

Now if I could only understand the reason I need ten ukuleles instead of just one.

efiscella
04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
That's a great post efiscella.

I agree with it. The cigar and dress suit analogies are on the dot.

Now if I could only understand the reason I need ten ukuleles instead of just one.

For the same reason you need more than one suit, Steve. The same reason you need more than one pair of shoes. And more to the point, the same reasons you need more than one golf club. Each one fits the different situations just a little bit better.

coolkayaker1
04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
For the same reason you need more than one suit, Steve. The same reason you need more than one pair of shoes. And more to the point, the same reasons you need more than one golf club. Each one fits the different situations just a little bit better.

Ed. Now I can sleep tonight. lol

Gadzukes!
04-06-2012, 05:28 AM
One thing I'm curious about is what the higher costs are. I know that demand for koa has gone up, and being a very limited resource that is almost certainly affecting prices. Labor costs may have gone up as well, probably mostly due to having to hire additional workers to handle the increased orders. I know a few companies have moved or added factory space, which would be a substantial cost. Much of it is likely just supply and demand. If your product is in high demand, you can charge more for it—that's capitalism at its roots. Almost certainly the biggest factor in producing demand is forums like this where everyone says that owning a K brand uke is a necessity if you want to play the ukulele.

Thus, the primary reason for the price increase is you guys! ��