Kanilea prices raises today...new prices on website

MGM

Reaction score
Aloha ...Joe and Kristin just gave me a copy of the price list for 2012. Here is a sample of new
K 1 satin tenor $1075.00
K1 gloss tenor. $1165.00
K 1 tenor island tattoo satin. $1,269.00
K 1 premium wood tenor gloss. $1,519.00
50th state tenor. 3,000.00

See the website for all new prices...if you didn't order today or soon you will be hit with thee increases

Anyone else waiting for the uke bubble to pop so they can pick up expensive uke at a cheap price?

Seriously, though, you can buy custom ukes for those prices...

WOW! $300 dollar increase in the K1 Premium Tenor!!! I believe it's still worth it......as long as the wood comes from log 50 or 14:)

Kamaka raised prices and now Kanilea...better buy Koaloha as they're next

Wow, I was just thinking that with the Kamaka and Kanilea ukes now priced so much over the KoAlohas, the KoAlohas are an even better deal - great sound and the best warranty and customer service of the three. All three are great ukes, but if I didn't already have the Kanilea and Kamaka tenors, I don't think I'd buy a new one now over a KoAloha at those prices. Unless KoAloha jacks theirs up to the same amount. Kanileas are gorgeous ukes (I'd argue the prettiest of the three), and Kamakas have name cache and quality, but I'm not sure if they are worth that much extra $$$.

are we starting to see the "ukulele-bubble"?

I'm guessing they all had to raise prices due to increasing costs. I'm just glad that I'm done with UAS for the most part. :p

Woah. Seeing those prices makes me appreciate the good fortune and timing I had in buying my Kanlie'a. It would be close to $400 more now!

Aloha,
Au'we, every product or service goes up over time. That's why most of us have cost/value awareness. The Luthier built ukes looks more enticing now, don't it? Whether it be mid level or higher priced, built to your spec's. It may not have the Hawaiian connection, but it does have the Hawaiian flavor.
For those of you that own "K's", congrats, for the rest of us, I say look to the many Luthiers out there, more love goes into each build than production ukes.
I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and even though I can afford to buy a "K", I'm in the Luthier built mode.
The following was just my opinion..................................BO.........................

Prices for everything I'm into are skyrocketing more and more. I hold nothing against the K brands... but I'm glad I got the ones I want too. When I got this uke with the dlx upgrade...it was I think about 400 bucks cheaper. Like I said, prices just are bound to go up, but I'm happy for my own wallet too.

Now alls I gotta do is get the dream tenor, and I'm done. :)

Aloha,
Au'we, every product or service goes up over time. That's why most of us have cost/value awareness. The Luthier built ukes looks more enticing now, don't it?

You are absolutely right. I wouldn't even consider getting my K2 tenor now at the price point that has been set for them. I would just wait for either the Aldrine model or try to get a Moore Bettah or other custom uke.

That is why I think it makes KoAloha look like an even better bargain. Kanilea and Kamaka may make prettier ukes, but they are not $200 prettier or better sounding. For an entry level tenor, I think until KoAloha raises their prices (which they may very well end up doing), it makes the other two Ks look overpriced (or means KoAlohas are a steal). Just my two cents though.

Aloha,
Au'we, every product or service goes up over time. That's why most of us have cost/value awareness. The Luthier built ukes looks more enticing now, don't it? Whether it be mid level or higher priced, built to your spec's. It may not have the Hawaiian connection, but it does have the Hawaiian flavor.
For those of you that own "K's", congrats, for the rest of us, I say look to the many Luthiers out there, more love goes into each build than production ukes.
I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and even though I can afford to buy a "K", I'm in the Luthier built mode.
The following was just my opinion..................................BO.........................

Ho, Bruddah BO!

I'm on the same boat as you, Brah! I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and honestly ... production ukes don't really interest me anymore - not even the "K" brands. I'm definitely in the Luthier build mode ... especially the luthiers who are not so well known as of yet because you get a custom instrument built to your specs at a great price!

Ho, Bruddah BO!

I'm on the same boat as you, Brah! I'm not a "Headstock" shopper and honestly ... production ukes don't really interest me anymore - not even the "K" brands. I'm definitely in the Luthier build mode ... especially the luthiers who are not so well known as of yet because you get a custom instrument built to your specs at a great price!

Hey Bruddah Kimo,

Who would have thought that there would be a bunch of luthiers in the US that are cheaper than "K" production ukes!! It's great to have quality instruments at all price points. It's a win situation for all of us!!

You nailed it down dead on with this post . The uke bubble is destined to pop and you'll be able to buy most of those high end ( not worth it even before the price increase ) ukes for dimes on the dollar like chord wood .

It's called ' market over saturation ' . Greed always fails in the end .

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're not worth it, because they are. And besides the overheads of any manufacturing company, you have essentially tiny companies with worldwide distribution, and the increased production headaches it brings, and the increased costs in the supply chain (koa anyone?)... all of this costs.

But take that way, and they are great instruments still. And when demand increases, what is a company supposed to do? Operate at a loss? Work beyond the limits of production? Yeah that'll mean awesome quality.

It is what it is. If and when a bubble bursts, then the prices will lower, and if the costs of production didn't decrease.... well then that'll be interesting.

The kanilea website has a great section on their manufacturing process with lots of step by step photos. Technically these may be "production" instruments but the process is a manual one just like the custom builds. If you pay craftsmen a reasonable wage, you'd be hard pressed to turn out that level of quality for under $1500-2000

I'm guessing increased demand from Japan is driving up the prices.
:p

Top Bottom