basic strumming (finger hitting the fretboard)

jinsk90

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Is it normal for the index finger (I strum with my index) to hit the fretboard? or should the finger only make contact with the strings at all time?

Thanks.

Sometimes I let my fingers hit the fretboard as part of the rythm/sound.

It's not uncommon, but it's something I try to avoid. That could hurt after a while.

just keep practicing.. soon you will notice that your fingers will actually stop hitting the fret. When i first tried to strum, i couldnt do it properly. my fingers hit the fret all the time.
just practice
=]

trust me. i didnt think i could ever strum properly cos i was out of rythym.

Also, I'm not too sure if this is a problem for you, but I noticed that a lot of my friends who started out were holding their strumming fingers a little too stiff. If you relax your strumming finger(s) a little while you strum, and continue to practice for accuracy, you should be able to graze just the strings for a nice, clean strum.

well

sometimes i let my finger go past my fretboard after in play the strings and i tape it on the uke, kind of all in one motion, it can make some regular stuff like somewhere over the rainbow sound fancier n have a little style

Its all good. Sometimes i strum a little bit more over the hole, like a guitar. But if you play enough, you'll find your sweetspot and will get the strumming down. :music:

Top Bottom