Is the last new ukulele ever good enough to stop buying?

barefootgypsy

Reaction score
I have to ask this question. I read posts from people who have bought expensive solid wood ukuleles, custom-builds - and immediately look for the next. I've no doubt they all sound beautiful, and different.... but I do have to ask, is there any end to it? The search for the ultimate ukulele?

I have to ask this question. I read posts from people who have bought expensive solid wood ukuleles, custom-builds - and immediately look for the next. I've no doubt they all sound beautiful, and different.... but I do have to ask, is there any end to it? The search for the ultimate ukulele?

I understand what you mean Lesley, I've thought the same myself at times... I can only speak for myself here, I don't really have any other financial commitments and nothing to spend money on other than ukulele's. I think for some, including me, different woods/builders/sizes etc produce different sounds. Personally, there are alot of ukes I want and I intend to try and get them! Will it stop? I don't know. I imagine I'll get to a stage where I am satisfied and I'll stop buying more. I hope so anyway. For me, they are the main thing which brings me joy so I'm glad I have it in my life!!

My main instrument is Classical Guitar and yet I only have one of those.

As for Ukuleles I now have 20. and All of them are good enough to play. but the pleassure is in how each one is so different and unique.

I was lucky enough to have a bit of casht to spend on this due to a job change transition, and also to get great deals on all the ukes... but now at 20, I really feel very happy and just short of guilty. so I really think this is it for me. ;)

Someday I hope to have a vintage (1920's 30's) uke but that's for the future maybe when I retire. for now I'm done!

For me it's not about each successive instrument getting "better", it's just about adding a new look or a new sound to my collection.

A lot of it is just the normal collectors bug thing going on, but there is method in the madness too.

After I bought my most premium uke yet ( a Kanile'a) I went on and bought another cheaper uke and then a banjolele.

It's all good!

For me it's not about each successive instrument getting "better", it's just about adding a new look or a new sound to my collection.

A lot of it is just the normal collectors bug thing going on, but there is method in the madness too.

After I bought my most premium uke yet ( a Kanile'a) I went on and bought another cheaper uke and then a banjolele.

It's all good!

I agree with the Baz. My goal is to own a lovely solid wood K-brand someday, but there is umpteen low-priced ukes that I'd love for my collection as well. Finally attaining a $1500 Kamaka won't change my desire for those other ukes.

It's all good!
Yes, I think it is the collector's bug thing, and I do understand the power of it with the ukulele. I think it grabs people round the neck. I have to keep a very restraining hand on myself..... I've still only got one wooden uke, and it's a fairly humble example! I would love at least one more, a better-looking, better-sounding one..... but I would have to explore by playing and seeing more "in the flesh", first, and that isn't so easy....and the next one would have to last a very long time before getting a third, so I just dream and drool! I plan where to go and how to get there to have a decadent uke-playing fest, trying them all out:drool:......! :D

And whilst the high end ukes are a real eye opener ( well, they were to me) I still have a Makala Dolphin on hand most times as a quick beater uke!

And whilst the high end ukes are a real eye opener ( well, they were to me) I still have a Makala Dolphin on hand most times as a quick beater uke!
I know everyone is going to say "it's very personal" but I'd be interested to know which high-end ukes were the biggest eye-opener, Barry! Something for me to work for - to reward myself when I've achieved my playing targets, and achieved sufficient saved-up pennies!

i think a ukefest would be a great idea for all of the brits on here, we could bring friends and club members and have damn good strum on each others ukes as well

Some defining characteristics of addiction include: impaired control over subtances/behaviour, preoccupation with substance/behaviour, continued use despite consequences, and denial. Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).

Physiological dependence occurs when the body has to adjust to the substance by incorporating the substance into its 'normal' functioning. This state creates the conditions of tolerance, and withdrawal. Tolerance is the process by which the body continually adapts to the substance and requires increasingly larger amounts to achieve the original effects.

Withdrawal refers to physical and psychological symptoms people experience when reducing or discontinuing a substance the body had become dependent on. Symptoms of withdrawal generally include but are not limited to anxiety, irritability, intense cravings for the substance, nausea, hallucinations, headaches, cold sweats, and tremors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction

A lot of it is just the normal collector's bug thing going on, but there is method in the madness too.

I agree. I think ukers who want one of each size, or one of each kind of wood, or one of each top brand all have a method to their collection.
My random craving for ukes morphed into my current small collection of moderately priced, hand-built soprano ukes. (Some I get used to stay in my price range.) Then, not only do I enjoy playing the ukes, but I also have connections to different luthiers.

To me, it's interesting to have a focus---it may keep you from wanting everything. The downside is that when you find something that fits into your focused collection, you want it very, very much!

(PS--If anyone has a hand-built soprano they'd like to re-home, PM me!)

Last edited:
I think it depends upon a few things. As my uke instructor told me a couple days ago, you can outgrow a uke. I've done it a couple of times in the almost-3-years I've been seriously playing.

I've been on a search for a soprano that has 17 or more frets AND near-perfect intonation. For a number of reasons, this may not exist off the shelf, so for the first time ever I'm considering a custom, something I never expected. I could care less about "bling" and tonewoods and individuality and all that - I want a plain, simple ukulele that sounds perfect to me. In coming to this decision, I've tried a lot of ukes recently, and every last one of them has had different qualities, good, bad and ugly.

So I can see where if someone has what I call the "collector gene" it would be easy to accumulate multiples. I lack that gene; I also live in a 250-square-foot apartment where space is very limited, so my uke collection is very small. But this could be that the last uke I bought, my Kamaka HP-1 pineapple, is already perfect in every way - except for the fact that it only has 16 frets, and I've got a few things that I'd like to learn that use a few more notes. But that uke has become the standard by which I judge all others, and this limits my buying ability because so far, I've found nothing that compares. So for me, the last uke is definitely "good enough" - I'd rather stick with it and not play the songs that its fretboard can't accommodate, rather than buy a bunch of lesser ukes.

I admit it, I tend to go crazy never being content. I have six ukes, and four of them are quite nice, but I'm already trying to find a way to get another one. Now admittedly, it isn't for tone reasons (I don't think I could surpass my KoAloha tenor unless I got a custom), and I love the looks of my Kamaka tenor. But I desperately want to see one of the Kamoa Kauai built koa ukes (I'm hoping to get one when I go to Kauai in a couple of weeks). But that is only because I love Kauai with all my heart and it would mean a great deal to me sentimentally to have a uke that was built on that island (plus Kamoas do tend to have great sound, and they are using some wicked curly koa in those). But I made a promise to myself, and my family, that from now on, in order to buy a uke I must sell a uke. So if I get it, my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday has to go up on the selling block.

So I might never be completely satisfied and have a complete end to UAS, but for me, when one comes in, one has to go out from now on.

I know everyone is going to say "it's very personal" but I'd be interested to know which high-end ukes were the biggest eye-opener, Barry! Something for me to work for - to reward myself when I've achieved my playing targets, and achieved sufficient saved-up pennies!

For me it was my Kanile'a Tenor. So so sweet.

Just gotta say thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - 'cos I really do find it very interesting! The forces at play, for different people. Because I ask myself the same question - if I got a better one, (I've had my humble but nice Greg Bennett for 6 years! But only played regularly for the last 6 months...) would I still want a better, better?! Guess I probably would - so I'm holding out as long as I can for the best I can afford when I can afford it.....

Top Bottom