PDA

View Full Version : "The 8th Season of the Ukulele" Contest : Easter/Spring week

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 07:43 AM
"The 8th Season of the Ukulele" Contest : Easter week
since no one else is stepping up, I'll take it.
Easter is Sunday, so an Easter song ,religious or secular. Easter is only 4 days away so let's make the deadline the beginning of the 2nd Sunday of Easter, that would be 12 midnight. I won't be picky on the time as long as it's in by Sunday morning[4-15-12], that will give me time Sunday to judge. if anyone else wants to co judge, let me know.
Prizes, one set Tenor Hilo strings [low G]
one set D'Addario t2 concert strings [high g]
1st place winner gets 1st choice
2nd place gets other set.
3rd place gets a hearty "well done"
for rules and judging criteria see 7th season of the Ukulele contest., the Ukulele should be front and center. Bunny costume optional.
good luck. just post your videos to this thread.

mattydee
04-04-2012, 08:05 AM
"The 8th Season of the Ukulele" Contest : Easter week
since no one else is stepping up, I'll take it.
Easter is Sunday, so an Easter song ,religious or secular. Easter is only 4 days away so let's make the deadline the beginning of the 2nd Sunday of Easter, that would be 12 midnight. I won't be picky on the time as long as it's in by Sunday morning[4-15-12], that will give me time Sunday to judge. if anyone else wants to co judge, let me know.
Prizes, one set Tenor Hilo strings [low G]
one set D'Addario t2 concert strings [high g]
for rules and judging criteria see 7th season of the Ukulele contest., the Ukulele should be front and center. Bunny costume optional.
good luck. just post your videos to this thread.

Excellent, Strumsilly! Off to find an Easter song!

ukuleledaveey
04-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Yay thanks for taking the mantle strumsilly :) off to do some research now , good luck everyone :)

austin1
04-04-2012, 08:21 AM
when you say "easter song," do you also mean basically any song that could possibly be sung in a church on a Sunday? Or does it have to specifically contain the words "easter," or "bunny?"

austin1
04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm only asking because your answer will greatly influence my google search :)

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 08:32 AM
when you say "easter song," do you also mean basically any song that could possibly be sung in a church on a Sunday? Or does it have to specifically contain the words "easter," or "bunny?"
by Easter song I mean a song that would be appropriate for Easter season for example
religious- Christ the Lord is risen today
secular - The Song of the Easter Bunny
it does not have to contain the words Easter or bunny etc.

austin1
04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
by Easter song I mean a song that would be appropriate for Easter season for example

bangin, thanks :D

thesillydave
04-04-2012, 10:53 AM
so, would a spring song satisfy the requirements seeing that the easter season is at the same time of year as the rites of spring and
spring equinox, and...., there are more songs to chose from? just wondering!

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
so, would a spring song satisfy the requirements seeing that the easter season is at the same time of year as the rites of spring and
spring equinox, and...., there are more songs to chose from? just wondering!
sure, the title is Easter/Spring. bring it on

chrimess
04-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Hi there,
what if it contains the word "Easter" in the title but is not thematically an Easter song?

peewee
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
John the Revelator. (it was this or "Chocolate Jesus")
Just about everything I know about the bible I learned from blues, reggae and renaissance art.
I haven't learned much about playing the blues as you will see...

http://youtu.be/ddT6__daXEg

Mainland Bari with Guadalupe Octave-low strings

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi there,
what if it contains the word "Easter" in the title but is not thematically an Easter song?
I don't even know what that means. assume if the song even vaguely has some connection to Spring or Easter it is OK.
AND before anyone asks, enter as often as you wish, I'll judge your Last entry for the contest.

strumsilly
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
you are first peewee that's worth a bonus point. your uke sounds awesome, I'm partial to baris, it had such a nice deep sound I'm asuming it is.

ukuleledaveey
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Just about everything I know about the bible I learned from blues, reggae and renaissance art.

Well done peewee, blimey you got that one in quick :) loved it and love the sound of that uke, really enjoyed your song :)

peewee
04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
you are first peewee that's worth a bonus point. your uke sounds awesome, I'm partial to baris, it had such a nice deep sound I'm asuming it is.
Thanks, I'll take any bonus I can get, and use my "first" status as an excuse for my first take performance.
It's a Mainland Bari, and it has the strings from Guadalupe that tune up an octave BELOW a low G set.
It's a whole different instrument strung that way.

philpot
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
DOH! I was hoping mine would be first ;) just kidding. But really, I'll have it up in a little while. Awesome contest.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
peewee's first take went up first; here's my second take.

Beloff's Daily Ukulele came through with an idea---a lovely Irving Berlin song. And I played a pretty pink ukulele in hopes of reminding y'all of Easter baskets, bunnies, and candy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMJUrUSD4QM&feature=youtu.be

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Rad. You came up with your uke part playing along to Son House's a cappella version? Very cool.

philpot
04-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Well, here ya go. A Gaither classic. The vocals are a little sketchy at the beginning... well, the whole time. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFD2KRBV4c

philpot
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Beloff's Daily Ukulele came through with an idea---a lovely Irving Berlin song. And I played a pretty pink ukulele in hopes of reminding y'all of Easter baskets, bunnies, and candy.

GREAT job. I loved that one.

peewee
04-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Excellent old time upper crust parlor tune. great stuff. nice antidote to mine...and I dig the mouth-horn solo.

ukuleledaveey
04-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Blimey your all getting them up quick :) that was great ralf, i was looking at that in the old daily book, thats a great book one of my faves, and loved your version, that uke sounded really good to and absolutely loved the mouth trumpet :)

Philpot loved your song as well nicely played and sung really well.

decisions,decisions, i gotta come up with a song and practice pronto ,but alas off to bed now as its 1.30 am, well done you three for posting so quickly :)

ukuloonie
04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Blimey your all getting them up quick :) that was great ralf, i was looking at that in the old daily book, thats a great book one of my faves, and loved your version, that uke sounded really good to and absolutely loved the mouth trumpet :)

Philpot loved your song as well nicely played and sung really well.

decisions,decisions, i gotta come up with a song and practice pronto ,but alas off to bed now as its 1.30 am, well done you three for posting so quickly :)

I need the extra time cause I hav' t' do some research:cool:

ukuleledaveey
04-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I need the extra time cause I hav' t' do some research:cool:

Me to i should be in the land of nod by now, im mulling a couple of tunes over cant try till later as i will wake neighbours up:)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-04-2012, 03:32 PM
GREAT job. I loved that one.

Excellent old time upper crust parlor tune. great stuff. nice antidote to mine...and I dig the mouth-horn solo.

Thanks, guys. Cool that the first three songs are so wildly different. We're off to a great start.

And Phil, your picking sounds suh-weet. Nice!

peewee
04-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Well, here ya go. A Gaither classic. The vocals are a little sketchy at the beginning... well, the whole time. Oh well.

nice and smooth. See mine for the yardstick by which sketchy is measured!

OldePhart
04-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Great job Phil - I've always loved that song.

OldePhart
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Nice. You and Jon and drbekken need to get together and do some old timey trio stuff. :)

OldePhart
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I know what song I want to do but I'm not sure if I'll get any time to video it between now and Sunday. We've got a long rehearsal Saturday for the Easter service.

Hippie Dribble
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
I know what song I want to do but I'm not sure if I'll get any time to video it between now and Sunday. We've got a long rehearsal Saturday for the Easter service.

don't feel rushed brother John, entries are open til Sunday week if I read correctly mate. Do it next week once the dust has settled!!!

glass
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Man this week has been crazy I got to get on this one...hmmm what to do?

OldePhart
04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
don't feel rushed brother John, entries are open til Sunday week if I read correctly mate. Do it next week once the dust has settled!!!

Ooohhh, okay, in that case I bet I can get it done - that might not be a good thing... LOL

ukuleledaveey
04-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Hi all and happy easter to you all , here is my entry and i have reduced my intro after my epically long intro last week :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3FJzZlOn8

wee_ginga_yin
04-05-2012, 02:51 AM
You have the tricksters and fraudsters who are only in it for the money.
( I recorded this a couple of weeks ago and as I don't have time to do another song for EASTER I thought I would enter it anyway just to make up the numbers )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFnulAVskFs

ReaderMo
04-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Excellent! Thanks for making the deadline 04/15! That's Easter (Pascha) for us Eastern Orthodox Christians this year. (I have a baby being born on 04/09, so I probably won't be participating anyway, but it's still nice to know that we Orthodox haven't been forgotten altogether :) )

ukuleledaveey
04-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Nice song wee_ginga, felt like it was a voyeuristic video, that i was spying on you through the undergrowth (im thinking of david Bellamy now), really enjoyed it and congrats on winning last week :) have a great easter

strumsilly
04-05-2012, 03:19 AM
( I recorded this a couple of weeks ago and as I don't have time to do another song for EASTER I thought I would enter it anyway just to make up the numbers )

I'm glad you did. wow, what a haunting tune, I was mesmerized. this is going to be hard to judge, luckily I am using Eugene's rubric so I can be somewhat objective. great song choices, Peter Cottontail to Easter blues with a parade thrown in. awesome job guys, no gals?

wee_ginga_yin
04-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Nice song wee_ginga, felt like it was a voyeuristic video, that i was spying on you through the undergrowth (im thinking of david Bellamy now), really enjoyed it and congrats on winning last week :) have a great easter

I was over in the UK all of last week so have not been keeping
tabs on what has been happening, so that is a big and pleasent
surprise to win the "Woody Week"... did I just say that?
Sounds risque now that I read it :-)

Anyways looks like Christian has started a great UU tradition,
and long my it continue.

Peace and Joy

Rob.

mattydee
04-05-2012, 03:59 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

wee_ginga_yin
04-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Having done a serious song for Easter (Jerusalem Tomorrow) there needs to be
some checks and balances so here is a little Bunny song (Run Rabbit Run) I recorded with my
granddaughter Elli whilst over in the UK last week.

It involves a hand-puppet, a distorted mirror, and is no more than a compilation of errors,
but sometimes the mistakes are better than a perfect performace. For your amusement only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCxO4w1g42A

strumsilly
04-05-2012, 04:18 AM
some checks and balances so here is a little Bunny song (Run Rabbit Run) I recorded with my

It involves a hand-puppet, a distorted mirror, and is no more than a compilation of errors,
but sometimes the mistakes are better than a perfect performace. For your amusement only.

that was amusing, a little scary, just kidding, what a treasure Elli is!.....................

peewee
04-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Hi all and happy easter to you all , here is my entry and i have reduced my intro after my epically long intro last week :(

Love it, great Ian Dury style deadpan delivery (and accent)!

peewee
04-05-2012, 05:19 AM

wow, thanks for that, great job. didn't know that song..

wee_ginga_yin
04-05-2012, 05:41 AM

Well I had the idea that tricksters usually have to hide behind some sort of mask,
and those blood red dogwood branches happened to be in the house for Easter
so I positioned the camera behind them... trying to give the impression that
something is being hidden here.

bonesigh
04-05-2012, 06:25 AM
Ohh, a new baby ReaderMo! Good luck and congratulations! I love babies, maybe more than I love ukuleles, maybe.

Excellent! Thanks for making the deadline 04/15! That's Easter (Pascha) for us Eastern Orthodox Christians this year. (I have a baby being born on 04/09, so I probably won't be participating anyway, but it's still nice to know that we Orthodox haven't been forgotten altogether :) )

wee_ginga_yin
04-05-2012, 06:38 AM
wow, thanks for that, great job. didn't know that song..

It was written by one of my favourite singer/songwriters, the unsung David Olney
It is such a well crafted song since it causes the old thought processes to do somersaults
trying to figure out what is going on.

Check out:

David Olney Fireside Chat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZywcm7X5E)

strumsilly
04-05-2012, 07:20 AM
It was written by one of my favourite singer/songwriters, the unsung David Olney
It is such a well crafted song since it causes the old thought processes to do somersaults
trying to figure out what is going on.

Check out:

David Olney Fireside Chat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZywcm7X5E)
I got to see him at a "home concert", he played bayside in front of 40 people.great songwriter.

OldePhart
04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Ohh, a new baby ReaderMo! Good luck and congratulations! I love babies, maybe more than I love ukuleles, maybe.

The only problem with babies is they grow up to be teenagers... :)

peewee
04-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Hi All

Can't resist posting another one. Can you tell I'm supposed to be working on my taxes?
This one is heavy on the adult innuendo. Easter and Spring Festivals in general are really about fecundity though, right?
"Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits" by The Magnetic Fields.
The instrumental break needs a lot of work. enjoy
and congrats to ReaderMo

http://youtu.be/buI1-EEPWFc

ukuleledaveey
04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Love it, great Ian Dury style deadpan delivery (and accent)!

Wow what a compliment :o thanks so much Peewee, to be compared to the legendary Ian Dury, unfortunately i was born and raised in rural essex, my dads generation were the last to have the local accent as after the war many massive new towns were built to accomadate the homeless from london due to the bombing and hence we lost our country accent :(,

Ian Dury, now that would be a awesome season week !!!!!!!

ukuleledaveey
04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi All

Can't resist posting another one. Can you tell I'm supposed to be working on my taxes?
This one is heavy on the adult innuendo. Easter and Spring Festivals in general are really about fecundity though, right?
and congrats to ReaderMo

Loved that Peewee, well played sir, is that uke one of your antique martins ? i also really like your t-shirt, happy easter mate

UK Paulie
04-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey strumsilly, I'm struggling! Does 'Harvest moon' qualify?

strumsilly
04-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Hey strumsilly, I'm struggling! Does 'Harvest moon' qualify?
Sorry,Wrong season. the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox is the Harvest moon. there are tons of songs about Spring/Easter. how about Morning has Broken.

UK Paulie
04-05-2012, 10:40 AM
AH! my bad! HAHA!! Ok no worries, might try morning has broken then.....

UK Paulie
04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Sorry,Wrong season. the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox is the Harvest moon. there are tons of songs about Spring/Easter. how about Morning has Broken.

Ok so I googled it and in the top 10 songs for spring is 'daydream' by 'The lovin spoonful' which is apparently about "The simple joys of being in love on a spring day"...That ok?

strumsilly
04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Ok so I googled it and in the top 10 songs for spring is 'daydream' by 'The lovin spoonful' which is apparently about "The simple joys of being in love on a spring day"...That ok?
sure, what could be better than that?

J-Peg
04-05-2012, 11:35 AM

That. Is. Adorable!

UK Paulie
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
sure, what could be better than that?

Phew!! Glad to hear you say that...was envisioning myself still hunting come saturday night lol

austin1
04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
what about a song from the musical Spring Awakening? Would that theoretically count?

austin1
04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
never mind, I found a better spring song that doesn't involve losing your virginity. will try and make a video this weekend!

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Awesome stuff everyone!!! Here's my bash for Easter to add to the list... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kY4-D0aurM

austin1
04-06-2012, 03:38 AM

this is just a personal opinion, and I am not a judge...but everything about that video was perfect.

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:55 AM
this is just a personal opinion, and I am not a judge...but everything about that video was perfect.

Gee Tina, that comment means more to me than you probably realise. Thankyou. :)

peewee
04-06-2012, 05:10 AM

Hey Eugene, that you continually succeed in blowing almost everyone out of the water, and your recent spike in bluesy-ness are reminding me of Robert Johnson's alleged transaction. Have you been down to the crossroads? Have you been dealing with devils, Tasmanian or otherwise? Trading Mya Moes for mad skills?
Probably just talent, practice and time, but you make it look so easy, it seems like like you're cheating! Nice work as always.

ukuleledaveey
04-06-2012, 07:44 AM

That was absolutely,incredibly, stupendously, magnifico, Jon man that was so so so good, i had goose bumps listening to that, man your to good, you dont have a spare map to the crossroads do ya ;) ??????

OldePhart
04-06-2012, 08:09 AM

A-mazing! Wish I could play or sing half that well. Makes me wish I'd been born with talent instead of intellectual genius... :rolleyes:

John

OldePhart
04-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Well...I was planning on doing "He's Alive" but I am going to have to face the fact that my voice just can't go there anymore. I used to be able to sing that with guitar but my vocal chords just won't stretch enough to even get close to the finale of that song anymore and it just doesn't sound right if you omit the key change.

Oh well, maybe somebody who actually has a voice will do it - 'cause I still love the song.

I was trying to decide what to do instead and I think I'm going to do an original. It's not a traditional Easter song by any means, and could be kind of a downer, even, but I think I'm going to do it anyway as the message fits in an oddball kind of way. I wrote it about five years ago and forgot about it until I was poking around my leadsheet files trying to figure out what to do instead of He's Alive.

So, as soon as I get a piece of peace and quiet I'll whip out a video.

John

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Great stuff so far, y'all.

I love that we've got one bunny song that's rated G (nice one, ukuleledaveey!), another that's rated PG for violence (my wife loved this one, too, wee_ginga_yin), and a third that could be rated R or X, depending on editing, for explicit sexual content (sweet version peewee, you dirty indie rocker, you).

Also loved "Jerusalem Tomorrow". Thanks for the wonderful introduction to David Olney's work, Rob, he's great. And of course another classic from eugene ukulele Jon---we need that soul this time of year. Thanks.

Plus I'm looking forward to austin1's seasonal debut. It'll be great to have another seasoning in the mix.

Oh, that reminds me... Anyone reading this thread that hasn't participated yet? We would love to hear from you.

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
instead of intellectual genius... :rolleyes:

John

you sell yourself short brother. You forgot 'and a wondrful sense of humour' :). And you are talented John, the knowledge and insights you share with us here are a blessing to many, me included.

Thankyou guys for all your kind words to me about this song. For the record, I discovered it yesterday and this performance blew my mind. It's Ry Cooder and David Lindley at New Orleans Jazz Fest in '94, backed by a hot trio of gospel singers. Unbelievable stuff. Some songs just hit you right between the eyes and this one sure didn't miss me. Felt compelled to learn it and try to play it straight away...he he...I think I pressed replay for like an hour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebj_e4VagcA&list=FLUb1xVeBabMCeJaFeTWLI8g&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Enjoy!!! I'm gonna kick back now and have re-run through everyone's songs...thanks again all :)

strumsilly
04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
what the heck was he playing? an electric mini 12 string? thanks for sharing Eugene, that was great.

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 02:59 PM

great pewee. What a brilliant song this is, and would be tough to play it on a uke. Nice job mate and a good dose of dry humour thrown in to boot. :) You mentioned Son House...the version I know best is Blind Willie Johnson's from the Harry Smith Anthology of Folk Music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hucTDV1Fvo&feature=related both incredible. Happy Easter mate :)

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:03 PM

oh wonderful Ralf. How sweet and beautifully performed is this...magnificent stuff, everything is so right about this. I officially hold you responsible brother for me not being able to wipe the smile off my face :)

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Beautiful performance Phil. So much feeling and spirit and that one. Those 'lights of Glory' were shining right out of your eyes mate. :)

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:15 PM

ha ha Dave!!! Great stuff! The deadpan expression and that hat...and the kazoo...smiled the whole way through. Loved it bro

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:22 PM

POW!!! Another hit right between the eyes. Dramatic. Compelling. Wonderfully framed. Got me. Brilliant stuff Rob.

David Olney..this one reminded me of a song from an album I loved from a couple of years back called 'Yonder Is The Clock' by The Felice Brothers. Great storytelling from the darker end of the day. Have you heard of those guys at all?

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi All

and congrats to ReaderMo

what a wonderful tune peewee. Might have to put that one on the 'too learn' list too. Those lyrics are classic mate. Great t-shirt and man that is one lovely looking uke. You said it was your grandfather's...what kind is it?

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:31 PM
what the heck was he playing? an electric mini 12 string? thanks for sharing Eugene, that was great.

cheers ss, it's a 12 string mando-guitar...and how good is he, eh...

the zone he was in when he was playing that song...man, I wanna go there

Hippie Dribble
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Eugene, that you continually succeed in blowing almost everyone out of the water, and your recent spike in bluesy-ness are reminding me of Robert Johnson's alleged transaction. Have you been down to the crossroads? Have you been dealing with devils, Tasmanian or otherwise? Trading Mya Moes for mad skills?
Probably just talent, practice and time, but you make it look so easy, it seems like like you're cheating! Nice work as always.
ha ha peewee...not sure about a trip to the crossroads but I feel like I've had a couple of 'crossroad' experiences in the last 6 or 8 months which maybe have drawn me to the blues. Really it's been watching drbekken on youtube...the way he does it so effortlessly has inspired me and motivated me heaps. But yeah, I've never understood anything about the blues or how it's meant to be played, but I feel em, so it's nice at the moment to learn something new and try to broaden the musical palette a bit and play in a different way. Long way to go. Cheers mate.

peewee
04-06-2012, 04:23 PM
what a wonderful tune peewee. Might have to put that one on the 'too learn' list too. Those lyrics are classic mate. Great t-shirt and man that is one lovely looking uke. You said it was your grandfather's...what kind is it?

Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to hear your take on that song..and that's the 1920s Koa Style 1 Martin there. It doesn't see the light of day much, I'm still kind of intimidated by it, and while it has a stellar sound it's not the easiest to play, with low bar frets, a soprano scale, and the strings a little closer together than on later Martins. I pull it out every once in a while to see if I am good enough to really play it yet..I'm definitely not.
cheers and happy easter!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
ha ha Dave!!! Great stuff! The deadpan expression and that hat...and the kazoo...smiled the whole way through. Loved it bro

Dave's hat looks quite a bit like bunny ears. Worth a bonus point? Yes, worth a bonus point.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I'd love to hear your take on that song..and that's the 1920s Koa Style 1 Martin there. It doesn't see the light of day much, I'm still kind of intimidated by it, and while it has a stellar sound it's not the easiest to play, with low bar frets, a soprano scale, and the strings a little closer together than on later Martins. I pull it out every once in a while to see if I am good enough to really play it yet..I'm definitely not.
cheers and happy easter!

If you play that gorgeous uke every day, you'll quickly adapt to its wondrous beauty. But go with your gut, of course.

peewee
04-06-2012, 06:20 PM
If you play that gorgeous uke every day, you'll quickly adapt to its wondrous beauty. But go with your gut, of course.
Ralf, You're right of course, but my grandfather was an early victim of UAS, and so I have his even older Mahogany style 0 "beater" to practice on that has exactly the same geometry!
I just wish he had lived long enough to teach me all those dirty songs.

ukuleledaddy
04-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Great week of entries! It's unlikely I'll be able to get one in this week. It's simply been crazy (out of town earlier in the week, in-laws staying with us, found our "dream house" and will likely put in an offer tomorrow, a big show to get ready for, not to mention Easter). I'm so glad to this continuing and more people getting involved!

Nickie
04-06-2012, 11:37 PM

This was great! Every time I hear a kazoo, I LMAO!

ukuleledaveey
04-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks Jon, Ralf & Nickie, for your wonderful words, it really means a great deal to me and helps stroke the ol' fragile ego :).
I think the reason i look deadpan is a mixture of nerves and concentrating on the song and the fact i am not comfortable my neighbours can hear me through the paper thin walls, but if it looks good in the performance that is a added bonus :)
Well the Hat was meant to be my nod to the great Elmer Thudd and bugs battles, i was going to open the song with the words in elmer speak " SSSSssssshhhhhh I'm hunting wabbit's ", but as well yep I think Ralf should get a bonus point as well as in the end i thought just put the flaps down as bunny ears and wear a daffodil in the hat for spring :) loved all your entries to guys :)

You still have time to post if you have not entered yet, come along and join the fun

wee_ginga_yin
04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
POW!!! Another hit right between the eyes. Dramatic. Compelling. Wonderfully framed. Got me. Brilliant stuff Rob.

David Olney..this one reminded me of a song from an album I loved from a couple of years back called 'Yonder Is The Clock' by The Felice Brothers. Great storytelling from the darker end of the day. Have you heard of those guys at all?

I remember being impressed by Krabbers singing

the ballad of lou the welterweight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM813KJMZSA)

a sad song about the dying days of a boxer

austin1
04-07-2012, 02:19 AM
I just changed my song again. Good thing there's another week, I don't feel like paying for the chords, and figuring them out myself is a slow process!

strumsilly
04-07-2012, 03:30 AM
I just changed my song again. Good thing there's another week, I don't feel like paying for the chords, and figuring them out myself is a slow process!
it may be a slow process, but it is an excellent skill to develop. what song were you looking for the chords for?

austin1
04-07-2012, 05:31 AM
It's from a musical, which means that the chords are a major flat sevens add nines, with all sorts of arbitrary symbols tagged onto the end of them for good measure.

UKEON TERRITORY
04-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Best thread on this fourm !

UncleElvis
04-07-2012, 06:31 AM
I just thought of a song I can do for this. What's funny to me is that I was just going to write "It's from a musical..." when I read Austin1's post. Weird coinkidink.

thesillydave
04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
from seven brides for seven brothers,
spring, spring, spring!

http://youtu.be/2YWkKOAFZEo

happy easter!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-07-2012, 11:30 AM
spring, spring, spring!

happy easter!

Another winner! Great singing, sweet strumming, and your ears and sweater match the painting almost perfectly. The "je ne sais quoi" is here in spades, too. Bravo, Dave!

ukuleledaveey
04-07-2012, 12:08 PM
yep that was awesome Dave, everything about it was stupendous, great tune,great playing and singing, and loved those ears, well done mate :)

strumsilly
04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Here's my entry, but I'm disqualifying myself since I'm the sole judge.

This is a song about an event that occurred the night before His death.
" After the Lord had risen from supper,
he poured water into a basin
and began to wash the feet of his disciples:
he left them this example."
Cf.Jn13:4,5,15

http://youtu.be/NZZUa_w0U0A

austin1
04-07-2012, 02:33 PM
spring, spring, spring!

happy easter!

oh man! what are the chances! I thought there was no way on earth anybody else would think to do that song. How many people besides the two of us have ever seen Stockholm Syndrome: The Musical, do you think?

Well, no worries. really well done dave, I enjoyed your version immensely.

But since I'm officially out of ideas, I think I'll let easter week be, and hopefully catch the next round.

Best of luck to all!

thesillydave
04-07-2012, 02:58 PM
oh man! what are the chances! I thought there was no way on earth anybody else would think to do that song. How many people besides the two of us have ever seen Stockholm Syndrome: The Musical, do you think?

But since I'm officially out of ideas, I think I'll let easter week be, and hopefully catch the next round.

Best of luck to all!

oops! sorry tina! i was thinking that somebody might do this, so i went ahead and recorded it this afternoon!
my back up song was going to be "april showers", song chart on ukester brown's page of songs, here's the link:

http://www.ukesterbrown.com/song-sheets.html

his site has song great songs, and video examples of all of them!
i think there still is a week left in this contest, you have time!
have fun!
ciao!

austin1
04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
oops! sorry tina! i was thinking that somebody might do this, so i went ahead and recorded it this afternoon!
my back up song was going to be "april showers", song chart on ukester brown's page of songs, here's the link:

http://www.ukesterbrown.com/song-sheets.html

his site has song great songs, and video examples of all of them!
i think there still is a week left in this contest, you have time!
have fun!
ciao!

not so much my style, but thanks for the thought :D No worries, I'll catch the ninth season, it'll be good!

wee_ginga_yin
04-07-2012, 08:17 PM

Best of luck to all!

Having a song stolen from right under your nose must have made you almost Keel over. :old:

ukuleledaveey
04-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Best of luck to all!

Hey Tina i am pretty certain there is nothing in the rules saying that you cannot do the song as well, it happenend in the six seasons a couple of times ,people doing the same song, and it is interesting to see different interpretations of the same song, so if you wanna do the song im pretty certain it would be ok. :)

austin1
04-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Hey Tina i am pretty certain there is nothing in the rules saying that you cannot do the song as well, it happenend in the six seasons a couple of times ,people doing the same song, and it is interesting to see different interpretations of the same song, so if you wanna do the song im pretty certain it would be ok. :)

yeah? would that be alright with you, Dave?

chrimess
04-08-2012, 01:01 AM
During Six Seasons that was perfectly within the rules.

ukuleledaveey
04-08-2012, 02:09 AM
During Six Seasons that was perfectly within the rules.
I am not running the comp Tina, just tryin to offer some help :), but Christian was the founder and top man for 6 seasons, i am pretty sure no one will have any problems with you doing your version, go for it kiddo, the more entrants, the merrier, they are a great bunch on this thread, that is why i eventually joined in it is a wonderful band of brothers/sisters :) look forw :)ard to seeing your entry :) and yours if you have time Christian

strumsilly
04-08-2012, 02:38 AM
sure, doing the same song would be fine. That would actually be a cool season, everyone doing different interpretations of the same song!

thesillydave
04-08-2012, 04:51 AM

not at all! the more the merrier!
cheers!

strumsilly
04-08-2012, 05:31 AM
not at all! the more the merrier!
cheers!

I think he means it's ok.

thesillydave
04-08-2012, 06:52 AM
I think he means it's ok.

yes, definitely okay!!!

UK Paulie
04-08-2012, 09:42 AM
sure, doing the same song would be fine. That would actually be a cool season, everyone doing different interpretations of the same song!

Hey that's a great idea! I reckon with the creativity on display here that would be just fantastic!!

mattydee
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Just recorded one, and I have another -- trying to choose between them. Plus, thanks to all you Bari maniacs, a new Baritone is winging its way to me from Indiana, should be here in a couple of days, and maybe I want to wait and break that one in on this contest...

Decisions, decisions!

strumsilly
04-09-2012, 08:43 AM
welcome to the bari club. mainland?

mattydee
04-09-2012, 08:48 AM
welcome to the bari club. mainland?

Yep. Cedar. Excited.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Just recorded one, and I have another -- trying to choose between them. Plus, thanks to all you Bari maniacs, a new Baritone is winging its way to me from Indiana, should be here in a couple of days, and maybe I want to wait and break that one in on this contest...

Decisions, decisions!

Your baritone's going to suit you nicely, I predict. Looking forward to hearing it!

glass
04-10-2012, 04:16 AM

Mo the baby come?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Here's my entry, but I'm disqualifying myself since I'm the sole judge.

This is a song about an event that occurred the night before His death.
" After the Lord had risen from supper,
he poured water into a basin
and began to wash the feet of his disciples:
he left them this example."
Cf.Jn13:4,5,15

http://youtu.be/NZZUa_w0U0A

Great performance here. Soft singing and picking together sounds lovely. Gracias.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Best to you, MamaMo, and BabyMo!

strumsilly
04-11-2012, 05:00 AM
Anyone else for week 8? if there are TO BE no more entries for week 8, maybe we should end it and move on to week 9.

strumsilly
04-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Great performance here. Soft singing and picking together sounds lovely. Gracias.

HAHA. way to suck up to the judge. you were tied with Eugene, but this puts you over the top [that and the fact that he lives down under and can I save on postage]. plus I like pink. I love being a judge. such power.

mattydee
04-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Anyone else for week 8? if there are TO BE no more entries for week 8, maybe we should end it and move on to week 9.

I'll have an entry - waiting for my Bari to arrive today to see if I like my song on it better than what I've already recorded. My entry will go up tomorrow at the latest.

austin1
04-11-2012, 05:39 AM
I'm still planning an entry, but life got really hectic with orientation and classes starting Monday. But I swear I'm working on it!

strumsilly
04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm still planning an entry, but life got really hectic with orientation and classes starting Monday. But I swear I'm working on it!
ok, no problem, there just didn't seem to be any more coming in. We'll go back to the plan, deadline Sat night, or early enough Sun morn that I can't tell you snuck it in.

OldePhart
04-11-2012, 08:31 AM
I was planning on entering but it's looking like real life may intervene and the song I was going to do isn't a real good choice for this season anyway so don't hold things up for me. I'll still do the song when time permits but just not for the contest.

John

mattydee
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Your baritone's going to suit you nicely, I predict. Looking forward to hearing it!

Thanks! It's here, it's here! I'll record and post tomorrow morning!

!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Prize, check. Challenge, check. I'll be starting up a Ninth Season of the Ukulele Contest thread on Sunday. Oh yes, I will.

J-Peg
04-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I'll also have an entry in when time permits. Work's been a bit demanding this week.

glass
04-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Prize, check. Challenge, check. I'll be starting up a Ninth Season of the Ukulele Contest thread on Sunday. Oh yes, I will.

Still have to record for this one then I will wait for yours as well!!!

ukuleledaddy
04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Looking forward to it Ralph. I'm down and out this week with the flu, and so are the kids. If we perk up by the weekend I'll try to get in on this weeks contest.

ukuleledaveey
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to it Ralph. I'm down and out this week with the flu, and so are the kids. If we perk up by the weekend I'll try to get in on this weeks contest.

Hope you all get well soon mate :) and looking forward to it Ralf, the suspense is killin me :)

OldePhart
04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Hope you all get well soon mate :) and looking forward to it Ralf, the suspense is killin me :)

I suspect he let the cat out of the bag in another thread... :)

John

Hippie Dribble
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM

John

oooooooooh, DID HE??????? Best be off to investigate then...

yours,
The Sleuth

ukuleledaveey
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM

John

Oh you tease :) would it have anything to do with Baritones ??????

OldePhart
04-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh you tease :) would it have anything to do with Baritones ??????

Oh...I don't know...don't have any insider knowledge or anything. I'm just using my astute powers of observation (read that, guessing). LOL

ukuleledaveey
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh...I don't know...don't have any insider knowledge or anything. I'm just using my astute powers of observation (read that, guessing). LOL
:) damn i was hoping you knew !!! I must say John you have a great sense of humour, mixed in with wise words, was just reading your posts on the thread about UOGB/Jake debate, also loved that joke about the snow in malibu, when do you expect to get your Bari, blimmey im mixing it all up on this thread lol, :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-11-2012, 04:59 PM

Argh. Wishing a swift return to health for you and your crew.

Oh, and I've heard that gentle ukulele strumming terrifies germs, viruses, and the like. Gentle strumming. Ukulele.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
oooooooooh, DID HE??????? Best be off to investigate then...

yours,
The Sleuth

I don't think I did, but I'm pretty spacy. For now, we need to keep our attention focused on Easter and spring---still much more Eighth Week challenge for us to enjoy.

OldePhart
04-12-2012, 07:11 AM
:) damn i was hoping you knew !!! I must say John you have a great sense of humour, mixed in with wise words, was just reading your posts on the thread about UOGB/Jake debate, also loved that joke about the snow in malibu, when do you expect to get your Bari, blimmey im mixing it all up on this thread lol, :)

Heh, heh, yer gonna make me blush and everything.

I haven't heard back from Mike yet on the bari (aside from the automated acknowledgement - I ordered via the shopping cart instead of calling this time). I'm not that worried about it, it'll be here when it gets here. If I don't get a "shipped" notice by Friday I'll follow up on the phone just to make sure it didn't fall through the cracks.

John

mattydee
04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
The baritone is here, and I am re-learning one of the songs I thought I'd try for this contest on it. But so, I just tried to record, and after 45 failed takes, gave up for today. So here's the other song. First take on a soprano. Chocolate Jesus by Tom Waits. Apologies in advance for anyone who might take offense, but it is a satire of the commercialization of the holiday -- so you know, there's that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHYBTad0x8

If I can get my act together on the bari in time, I will definitely put the other song up...

thunderflea
04-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Some great videos here! Cheers to all!!

ukuleledaveey
04-12-2012, 01:29 PM
The baritone is here, and I am re-learning one of the songs I thought I'd try for this contest on it. But so, I just tried to record, and after 45 failed takes, gave up for today. So here's the other song. First take on a soprano. Chocolate Jesus by Tom Waits. Apologies in advance for anyone who might take offense, but it is a satire of the commercialization of the holiday -- so you know, there's that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHYBTad0x8

If I can get my act together on the bari in time, I will definitely put the other song up...

WOW that was a knock out Matty :) absolutely fantastic, i thought about doing this tune origanally so glad i didnt now, as you owned that my man ,crackin job and look forward to seeing and hearing the Bari :)

mattydee
04-13-2012, 11:39 AM
What's the story with multiple entries? WHich one will you pick? I'm torn between two VERY different songs. I finally got the other recorded after multiple takes. MULTIPLE takes. And still not perfect, but it's on the bari, and well, I just don't know! I'm going to post it anyway, and then I'll tell strum silly which one I want him to consider, I guess.

Anyway, here it is. Pilate's Dream from Jesus Christ Superstar. On the new baritone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1pHRKcU8Wc

strumsilly
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
What's the story with multiple entries? WHich one will you pick? I'm torn between two VERY different songs. I finally got the other recorded after multiple takes. MULTIPLE takes. And still not perfect, but it's on the bari, and well, I just don't know! I'm going to post it anyway, and then I'll tell strum silly which one I want him to consider, I guess.

Anyway, here it is. Pilate's Dream from Jesus Christ Superstar. On the new baritone.
I think I said the last one would be the keeper, but that's good for you, I was in the play once and I love all the songs from it. hint hint.

I think I said the last one posted would be the keeper, but that's good for you, I was in the play once and I love all the songs from it. hint hint.
this song really suits your voice, well done. congrats on the bari too.

mattydee
04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
I think I said the last one posted would be the keeper, but that's good for you, I was in the play once and I love all the songs from it. hint hint.
this song really suits your voice, well done. congrats on the bari too.

Well, that's that then. Consider this one the final entry.

ukuleledaveey
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM

Excellent job Matty, the new bari looks and sounds amazing :) great song and you did a fab job :)

J-Peg
04-13-2012, 03:14 PM
After many many takes, here's my entry for this week. It's gonna need some more work before it's live performance ready, but give me a couple dozen tries and I'll eventually get through it without a major mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUapqX_55c&feature=youtu.be

ukuleledaveey
04-13-2012, 03:30 PM
After many many takes, here's my entry for this week. It's gonna need some more work before it's live performance ready, but give me a couple dozen tries and I'll eventually get through it without a major mistake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUapqX_55c&feature=youtu.be

Wow well done j-peg this is one of my all time fave songs, not a massive beatles fan but have always loved this song, and you have done a great job cos i got goose bumps listening to your version , loved your picking, and you sung it really well to, you should be very proud of your version have a great weekend :)

J-Peg
04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Wow well done j-peg this is one of my all time fave songs, not a massive beatles fan but have always loved this song, and you have done a great job cos i got goose bumps listening to your version , loved your picking, and you sung it really well to, you should be very proud of your version have a great weekend :)

Thanks Davey! :)
I'm pleased with this particular rendition. Just not pleased with the fact that it took about 15 attempts to achieve it. This song's now on my long-term "keep practicing it" list.

thesillydave
04-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks Davey! :)
I'm pleased with this particular rendition. Just not pleased with the fact that it took about 15 attempts to achieve it. This song's now on my long-term "keep practicing it" list.

j-peg, that was great! i have not even attempted finger picking yet...i am pretty sure that requires a lot more talent than i could master! i am just a glorified strummer...at best!
but, the song sounded great!

side note...as for a future season competition....a "real" one take....on your honor...first take, one take...warts and all..screw up, keep on going!
usually takes me about 20-30 takes to get it right as i can..might be fun to see the bloopers and continuing on!
just a thought! happy strumming! or picking for you j-peg!

thesillydave
04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
oh! and, i have been working on 4 diff. songs...but waiting to record them...just in case i could use them in season 9! don't want to waste them!
any hints what the next season might bring? hmmmm?

ukuleledaveey
04-14-2012, 05:32 AM
oh! and, i have been working on 4 diff. songs...but waiting to record them...just in case i could use them in season 9! don't want to waste them!
any hints what the next season might bring? hmmmm?
:) ive been delaying recording anymore vids , as im waiting for the next season to come up, would be good to have some one in mind to run season 10 as well so we can keep on going, i dont think im ready to judge yet :) i dont feel like i have the right to judge people that are all better quality than me :) right gotta shoot im ,off to see doug stanhope tonight :)

mattydee
04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
:) ive been delaying recording anymore vids , as im waiting for the next season to come up, would be good to have some one in mind to run season 10 as well so we can keep on going, i dont think im ready to judge yet :) i dont feel like i have the right to judge people that are all better quality than me :) right gotta shoot im ,off to see doug stanhope tonight :)

I'll do season ten. I was going to 9 but Ralf was ready before me, so I "let" him have it.

glass
04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Here is mine its called Petes Dad by Porno for Pyros its really a Christmas song but I changed a few of the lyrics to make it an Easter song enjoy it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7Jss6GZ_c

ukuleledaveey
04-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Here is mine its called Petes Dad by Porno for Pyros its really a Christmas song but I changed a few of the lyrics to make it an Easter song enjoy it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag7Jss6GZ_c

Nice job glass well done mate,was porno for pyros the band the singer from janes addiction had after he left ??? imnot sure ive had to much beer just been to see the greatest american comic playing over here in the UK Doug stanhope, my brain is a little fuzzyer than usual :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Haven't had time to catch up on new entries, I was too busy with work and getting the Ninth Season (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?63678-quot-Ninth-Season-of-the-Ukulele-quot-contest-SMILES-AND-SUNSHINE) ready to roll. Looking forward to another week of fun!

glass
04-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Nice job glass well done mate,was porno for pyros the band the singer from janes addiction had after he left ??? imnot sure ive had to much beer just been to see the greatest american comic playing over here in the UK Doug stanhope, my brain is a little fuzzyer than usual :)

Yes it was, perry Farrell. I love Janes Addiction and have seen them now at least 10 times in concert two times this last year!! He got JA back together not the original but still really great performances!!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-15-2012, 09:30 AM
side note...as for a future season competition....a "real" one take....on your honor...first take, one take...warts and all..screw up, keep on going!
usually takes me about 20-30 takes to get it right as i can..might be fun to see the bloopers and continuing on!
just a thought!
Great idea!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-15-2012, 09:31 AM
I'll do season ten. I was going to 9 but Ralf was ready before me, so I "let" him have it.

Thanks, mattydee!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Ah, catching up on the 8th Season...

mattydee: Great song choices this week, especially Pilate's Dream---great singing, nice picking. Heavy, baby. Nice work with the new instruments---baritone uke and mouth trumpet---too. Maybe we should start a mouth brass band?

J-Peg: Lovely version of a wonderful song---very nice work playing those leads. It's always nice to hear George Harrison's music on the ukulele, too. Gracias.

glass: Nice one. I liked Jane's Addiction a lot, but Perry Farrell's personality and singing both grossed me out at a 1990 Jane's Addiction show. Your sweet version of this tune didn't gross me out at all, in fact I liked it. You're good. You've convinced me to give Perry another chance.

Great vids, everyone! Hopefully, we'll get another couple entries today. Thanks again, strumsilly, for keeping it going!! See y'all over at the Ninth Season.

strumsilly
04-15-2012, 11:12 AM
we're moving on to the 9th season, so I'll have the winners posted tonight.

ukuleledaveey
04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
we're moving on to the 9th season, so I'll have the winners posted tonight.
will you be doing a video and your thoughts on the performances , like al the other weeks , no worries if not just curious :)and thanks for running the 8th week, greatly appreciated

strumsilly
04-15-2012, 02:02 PM
maybe............

strumsilly
04-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I want to commend everyone for the great videos for week 8. I wish I had a prize for everyone who entered, and I thinks everyone who entered is a winner, but I agreed to judge and I must choose.

Peewee- loved the blues for Easter.
The Only Uke. great song , very appropriate, the mouth trumpet, what can I say.
Ukulele Pauley another great Easter song.
Wee ginga yinI was mesmerised , haunting song, beautiful.
Eugeneanother great performance
Silly davegreat song choice for the season
Matty Deeyou nailed it. #1
J Peg the Sun coming again is what spring and Easter are all about. great playing and song choice. #2
Glasshadn't heard that song before, thanks for turning me on to it.
I actually had a rubric and tried to be objective. If you want a copy of the actual scoring send your address on the back of a $20 bill to ....
Matty, PM me your choice and mailing address.
Jpeg, need your address, you get the other.

Hippie Dribble
04-15-2012, 04:47 PM
great week strumsilly. Thanks for the time and effort brother. And congrats to Matty, a long overdue victory after always being around and about the top few, and well done to J-Peg on runner up 2nd week in a row. A win for you just around the corner mate. Off to follow the sunshine and smiles... :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Woohoo, Matty! A sweet new baritone uke and a sweet victory all in one week. Nicely done, sir. Congratulations!

Congrats, J-Peg, and thanks for bringing us some sunshine.

Congrats to all y'all for being a courageous group of challenge-accepting ukulele bad-asses. See y'all in the ninth week!

mattydee
04-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow! Thanks, strumsilly! And everyone! I sure am glad to have broken the Bari in on this one! And now I can barely put it down. I went out of town this weekend and for a little variety (and portability), I brought the sopranino, but it's just not the same! I missed that big ol' guy with his different chord fingerings and deep voice!

Gosh, that was a lot of exclamation points. On to sunshine and smiles...

ukuleledaveey
04-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Congrats Matty and J-peg, well deserved victories,well done everyone, ralf you summed it up well :) i wish i had done the 6 seasons now, but glad im aboard now, now to get cracking on my song for week 9 :)
Strumsilly thanks so much for running that week.

J-Peg
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Congrats, mattydee! One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite shows, a great fit for both your voice and for the bari, and you executed it brilliantly.

I can live with second place.

This week. But just wait...