Played a new Maton concertn uke today.

webby

Reaction score
Played a new Maton concert uke today.

Went into the music shop in grafton today and hanging on the top shelf next to all the expensive guitars is this uke, "strange place to hang a uke" I thought as I walked up to it, all the other ukes are in their own display on the other side of the rack, The first thing i see is the huge pink price tag... $599.00 AUD, Then i saw the headstock.. MATON !

hmm,, i pulled it down and gave it a strum, my god, loud, crisp, clear, perfectly balanced, set of new aquilas on it, intonation 100% perfect, I picked it, I strummed it, i did a few snappy muted jazz runs, played it real loud and real soft, my god again, i'm in love.

i had the money too, my credit card was literally screaming at me from my wallet.. DO IT DO IT DO IT !.

Then...hooo hum, i thought of my wife, and how I was going to explain how a 200 dollar supermarket food shop turned into a 600 dollar uke purchase for no reason.

it was victorian blackwood, lovely dark grain, all solid, just stunning tight full round perfect maton sound, hmmmm, I put it back on the rack, talked to the sales guy for a while, it's a first release brand new line he said, they are going to be releasing a soprano that will be 600, the concert will be about 100 to 150 dearer than that, so about 750, this one is only 600 as its a one off, my god, I took it down again and played it, did shirly T by jake and it just nailed it, ooooo I realy want this uke.

I walked back to the car without it, I somehow managed to get some self control and head to the supermarket instead.

damn damn damn, If anyone is in northern nsw and wants a brilliant uke I would head to buckleys music in grafton ASAP, because i can't guarantee I will be able to make it through the next 48 hours without going back and buying it you had better be quick.

here is the link to Maton http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/ukulele.html

And here's a guy playing one http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=6Vkp2kDLDmI

Last edited:
That's a nice Cliff Edwards tune. The uke sounds great. Go back and get it. You deserve it!

Martin's ukes don't look like guitars, neither do Collings or Santa Cruz. But this Maton really looks like a guitar to me :confused: However, all-blackwood is an attraction! :cool:
Maybe it is because the way this player holds the uke like a guitar.
hehe...

Had the privilege of playing one a few days ago here in El Segundo, CA which is next to LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) at a surf & skate shop. The owner has a Hawaiian theme and sells entry level ukes.

I went in to buy strings and the owner tells me a good friend from "Down Under" gave him a cool uke made there. It was the new Maton Victorian Blackwood concert uke! Beautiful grain, great workmanship, relatively light build, and great sound! Comes with an awesome Maton hard shell case, too!

Not for sale. It's the owner's new personal uke. Maton makes great acoustic steel stringed guitars. Hoping to see if they'll make a tenor.

Last edited:
Matons are great guitars and I've heard great things about their ukes...I really want the Blackwood Concert!!! Where can you find them in the US??

I am going to buy it !

Tasmanian Blackwood Acacia melanoxion, Black Acacia
Superb species from Southern Australia. It ranks high up with African Blackwood only it is scarce and hard to come by. The looks and sound of Tasmanian Blackwood guitars are among the best that can be produced on a classical guitar. Known for deep dark green patterns and a warm mellow tone. The grain varies quite a bit from one tree to the next but the sonorous properties are very consistent and always top of the line. Koa on sterioids. A bit denser and often lower dampening than Koa.

koa on steroids, yeh thats pretty much how it sounded.

Last edited:
You didn't tell your wife, "some bloke on UU told me I deserve it", did you?

Congrats and post some pics when you have the chance, please.

Does anyone have any trusted dealers across the ocean that would be willing to ship stateside? Or any other creative ways to possibly get one of those sexy Maton's in my hand??

There are a couple of US deallers who may be able to help...

http://www.maton.com.au/about-us/distributors.html

Thank you...I tried calling them earlier this year and I think even the end of last year (to the OH dealer since he's a couple hour drive from me) and they didn't know when they'd be arriving...They said I could pay for it, but wouldn't commit to the delivery date...

How cool - the video sounds great. I can't imagine a Maton ukulele being anything but excellent. I love watching videos of people playing their acoustic guitars, including the man himself, Tommy Emmanuel.

Just got a reply...No help only a list of international numbers to call...Guess, I'll save for another uke...

Top Bottom