Ground rules

UKEON TERRITORY

Reaction score
With several elements affecting the uke scene , such as steel strings , humbucker style pickups and the likes . Then couple that with more and more people getting into home recording and A/V production ,I thought I'd offer up some tried and true " SOUND " advice .

These thoughts were brought to the surface by another UUer on another thread inquiring about buzz problems . Hope it helps .

First and foremost , this thread is not intended to provoke debate , conflict and or arguement . Just good sound GROUND RULES and advice .

For instance , " ARE YOU GROUNDED " ?

Broadcast engineers will tell you faster than anyone that the quality of your ground system directly affects the quality of your sound system .

To wit :

Many complex buzzes , hums , whistles , etc. etc. etc in your amps , speakers , mics , recording and all other equipment can be prevented and even cured with a few basic rules of thumb .

Starting first with the single biggest DON'T in the whole matter .
DON'T have any great expectations out of your sound quality if you are not properly grounded .

Some may ask , " how do I know if I improperly grounded or not " ? The answer to that is quite simple . . . If you took any electronic equipment for you home jamming and or A/V recording system home and simply plugged into a standard wall socket , you can rest assured you are NOT properly grounded by any stretch of the imagination.

You equipment desperately needs to be on it's own independent ground system . This is especially true if you are living in an older home with aluminum wiring and double especailly true if you are living in a motorhome or mobile home .

Radio operators such as HAMM radio guys have a saying that you " hear on your ground " . In other words ,the quality of the ground is everything for what the ear hears in electronic audio efforts .

There are a couple of basic rules of thumb here . One , you've already read .The fact that independent grounding is a MUST .The second rule of thumb is the shorter the ground wire , the better .

I could spend forever exaplaining why shorter is better but will not waste your time there . Just know and believe it is correct info . But the basics are that the shorter the ground wire , the less opportunity there is for ingress . Meaning extraneous signal hoping on the wave length that electricity is on and riding into your system and into your audio output . I could go into pretty deep detail about wave lengths and frequency ranges and the who's what's where's and why's but will spare you .

Never the less , allow me to move on to the basic and easy steps to prevent and or cure all the unwanted racket . Even if you seemingly have zero problems just plugged direct into household current , I am all to positive that if you follow a few basic rules and efforts here , you can't help but notice and increase in your audio quality and or recording quailiy for audio and or video .

On the cure/preventitive .............

Truth be told , if you don't already have this in place , you should by all means .

You need to start by driving a solid copper ground rod no less than 4 feet long ( 6 feet is best ) into the ground just outside the room where all your equipment lives . Leave about 12 inches sticking out of the grounf for attachment purposes .This wire needs to be unjacketed .

Next ...

On each and every piece of equipment you have , you need to find a rock solid chassis screw ( some equipment manufacturers provide one and you've just wonder why until now ) . Now you know why . You need to attach a ' ground tail ' ( a piece of 10 (or 12) gauge wire ) to the equipment .

The ground rod you just drove into the ground , just outside the room where your equipment is, needs an 8 gauge solid copper wire solidly attached with a ground wire clamp and brought into your music room . Through the wall is best .

Now you need a quality multi-ground block .This is a block that would remind you almot of a fuse block but without fuses .

The wire from outside needs to be securely attached to the ground block . Each pieceofequipemtn needs it'swon 'ground tail . I suggest that you run a short ' ground tail ' out of or off of your equipment only long enough to be able to butt plug an extension to it .

Your multi-ground block needs to have a ' ground tail 'on it for EACH piece of equipment you intend on grounding .I reccommend getting a mulit-block that will take a minimum of 8 ' ground tails ' . You'd be surpised how quick you use them up .

The ends of the ' ground tails ' on each piece of equipment and each ' ground tail ' on the block needs to have some kind of strong butt plug so you can plug and unplug your equipment as needed .

This system MUST be independent from all other household appliances and the likes . Don't be using the ground rod outside for ANYTHING else such as home security systems , invisble dog fences ,etc. etc. etc.

INDEPENDENT 100% is key for quality audio/video/amps/etc .

I know this sounds like alot of efforts and will you'll actually spend more than you might think getting this set up . But the benifits are immensely amazing and wonderful in the end .

I would almost bet that noone you know has done this . The real truth is that it is a must for true quality output of A/V . And for all that dough you dished out expecting quality from your equipment , you deserve this result .

Even if you are not having a problem with line noise , if this doen't help , I'll come to your place no matter where you live and eat it . No salt and pepper please .I'm watching my blood pressure . lol

But please know this .This is NOT a fix for faulty equipment ..........

On a side note................

Always unplug your equipment when not in use .You do not have to unplug the grounding system . Only what's plugged into the wall outlets needs to be unplugged . With the equipement unplugged from the wall , the loop is open and there is little to no fear of electrical mishap while your back is turned while at work .

I can't count the times I've seen equipment fried from step voltage from a storm . You do not need a direct hit from lightning to fry you . Step voltage is the number one cause of electronics damage . I't likely been a problem for you at one time or another and you didn't even realize it . All you knew was that something quit working .

p.s Microwave ovens KILL . Microwave ovens are the worst thing within the household that farts back into an electrical system unwanted poor qulaity electricity . The RF frequency alone from microwave ovens makes electronics freak out .That's why the warnings for those with pacemakers . lol

Anyway . I think I covered my thoughts on this and hope it helps someone out a bit . But I cannot personally be serious enough how conviced I am that anyone that does not have this independent ground system in play already has missed a huge and key MUST have .

RAGZDADDY

Last edited:
Pretty interesting stuff, especially for someone not accustomed to plugging in. To be honest, I'd never even thought about grounding, but it makes sense.

Cheers.

I'm largely acoustically minded myself but I do like to occasionally record my practice sessions to be able to go back and lsiten to where my errors are . I keep it pretty basic and simple these days with just the laptop and a Zoom H2n .

And sadly, I didn't understand 90% of that. Other than to say that I do plug into a dedicated surge protector and not directly into the wall, and I am in a flat built in the 50s (stereotypically known to be good quality 'round these parts). And from all that, I have ONE uke out of 6 electric instruments that doesn't like the setup, and there isn't much I can do about it. It's the only passive pickup so maybe that's it. No one ever really answers the questions in an easily understandable way.

And sadly, I didn't understand 90% of that. Other than to say that I do plug into a dedicated surge protector and not directly into the wall, and I am in a flat built in the 50s (stereotypically known to be good quality 'round these parts). And from all that, I have ONE uke out of 6 electric instruments that doesn't like the setup, and there isn't much I can do about it. It's the only passive pickup so maybe that's it. No one ever really answers the questions in an easily understandable way.

It's a tough go with a buzz and can drive one nuts . Living in an apartment where one can't harldy bulid an external ground setup makes it double rough . Kind of why I put this here rather than on your " Buzz " thread . Istill think it is moreso internal of the pickup than anything else in your case . After reading your problem description that would be my guess .

But one thing you might try is this . Take your rig to someones home not in your buliding . But in a single family dwelling unit . Take YOUR whole rig with with you . That in itslef will tell you whether or not is in being generated within the wiring of where YOU live . Hope that helps .

Best of the best to you . But there really is no simple description of this sort of thing .

Don't you live in the UK ? I'm guessing in a bulding fromthat era , you likely have aluminum wiring regardless ofthe quality ofthe build . I live in a house built in 1960 and it has aluminum wiring . Aluminum wiring was popular throughout the world in times past .

Yeah, repairs to the electrics isn't going to happen unless the entire building voted on it. We got new water pipes a couple years ago. I live in Helsinki, Finland, and 'round these parts everyone lives in apartments. But we'll be heading to a summer getaway, and I take my amp anyway. I can well bring it's ac adapter.

If it's in the pickup, is there anything I can do myself, or is it a warranty thing?

Yeah, repairs to the electrics isn't going to happen unless the entire building voted on it. We got new water pipes a couple years ago. I live in Helsinki, Finland, and 'round these parts everyone lives in apartments. But we'll be heading to a summer getaway, and I take my amp anyway. I can well bring it's ac adapter.

If it's in the pickup, is there anything I can do myself, or is it a warranty thing?

Conditions change for sure .

But because you mentioned noone ever had an easy answer , I kind of racked my brain a bit and had a little brainstorm on the easy way to no hear the buzz .

This want get rid of the buzz , you just want be able to hear it .................

CRANK UP THE VOLUME ! ! !

roflol roflol roflol

Just being silly . lol . I just recall how well that worked in an old battle axe of a car I drove years ago . lol

The hum is pretty band and doesn't improve with volume increase, no. :p

If I touch the input jack of the cable, it goes away. If only there was a way to get that feature, without having to touch the cable.

Top Bottom