OMG - I Got A Gig

BBQUKER

Reaction score
As a mediocre finger style player my wife thought I was good enough for her to go down to a local intimate type bar/restaurant and ask them whether I could play some evening. On Thurs they have sax player and on Sat a guitar player. But last night (Weds) was open. So very nervously I did. Thankfully I had an amp and a battery operated light for my music (I am one of those who can not memorize). It was not bad. Probably over the course of 2 1/2 hours 50 people heard me.

Man do I appreciate someone who can sit down and play for a couple of hours. Fingers, arms and back all hurt. The most I have ever done was a few songs on an open mic. I found myself searching for unplayed tunes and then looking over the crowd so I could re-play what I had already done.

Anyhow, much to my surprise thay have asked me back for next Weds. I just put an order into Ukulele Mike for his solo book (Ihave several of his solos already). I play a bunch of Ken Middleton's stuff and a few others (even some of Dom's EASY stuff).

Any other ideas for either high or low G? Nothing fancy. Just imagine background music while dining and sitting at the bar. Singing is not an option.

One positive from this is that maybe I can find someone else in this town who would like to learn the uke.

Dan (sole member of the Wisconsin Rapids Ukulele Club)

Nice BBQKER, very nice!
two-and-a-half-hours? Geez, I wouldn't last 15 minutes, you can be very proud of yourself.

Congratulations, that's cool that you got a gig. Is it your fist real gig? I have an odd goal for my ukulele playing. I'd like to get to the point where I can preform in public. A street performer I suppose. Odd, isn't it? But I'd love to be skilled enough to make people more interested in playing the uke for themselves.

As a mediocre finger style player my wife thought I was good enough for her to go down to a local intimate type bar/restaurant and ask them whether I could play some evening. On Thurs they have sax player and on Sat a guitar player. But last night (Weds) was open. So very nervously I did. Thankfully I had an amp and a battery operated light for my music (I am one of those who can not memorize). It was not bad. Probably over the course of 2 1/2 hours 50 people heard me.

Man do I appreciate someone who can sit down and play for a couple of hours. Fingers, arms and back all hurt. The most I have ever done was a few songs on an open mic. I found myself searching for unplayed tunes and then looking over the crowd so I could re-play what I had already done.

Anyhow, much to my surprise thay have asked me back for next Weds. I just put an order into Ukulele Mike for his solo book (Ihave several of his solos already). I play a bunch of Ken Middleton's stuff and a few others (even some of Dom's EASY stuff).

Any other ideas for either high or low G? Nothing fancy. Just imagine background music while dining and sitting at the bar. Singing is not an option.

One positive from this is that maybe I can find someone else in this town who would like to learn the uke.

Dan (sole member of the Wisconsin Rapids Ukulele Club)

Dan,

Much congratulations! What a great opportunity.

Two and a half hours is a long time. Remember that a set is about 50 min. Take your breaks to stretch arms, back, fingers, etc. This will lessen fatigue.

Don't worry about repeating one or two songs later in the evening. Chances are the crowd has cycled. We've done a few 4 hour gigs and we count on it when we're getting tired.

Have fun!

Mike

Congrats - sounds like it went well.

Congratulations, that's cool that you got a gig. Is it your fist real gig? I have an odd goal for my ukulele playing. I'd like to get to the point where I can preform in public. A street performer I suppose. Odd, isn't it? But I'd love to be skilled enough to make people more interested in playing the uke for themselves.

I have the SAME goal!!! I dont have any desire to play on stage, but in a park or on the street seems to be more of my style.

Congrats on your first gig BBQUKER!!

Sorry no resources but that is AWESOME!!

Just remember, when your mind goes blank, you can always rely on a 12-bar blues, with improvisational chord transitions.

And make it last 10 minutes, with key changes.

I usually play the 12-bar blues in A, because that's the same chord pattern as a 12-bar in E on the guitar. My fingers know where to go, even if my mind is stuck in a black hole.

-Kurt​

Huge careers have been spawned from lfar ess . Congrats ! ! !

I like the 12 bar blues idea. Need a little instruction (which I should be able to find here). Did take a break after the first 45 minutes. Give me water!

Still looking for more material. Did get Uke Mike's stuff this afternoon and maybe a couple of additions from there.

Thanks for the responses and support. If anyone has a chance to play in front of people, DO IT. Pass the ukulele on.

Dan

Top Bottom