Strings on your KoAloaha Soprano?

hibiscus

Reaction score
I'm not adjusting well to the feel of my new KoAloha, and I'm wondering if it is the strings. Have any of you tried different strings on yours? I'm considering switching to Martins, because I have a set, or I would probably prefer Worth Clears if I had them. Any advice?

The action is a little higher than my Mainland, but I don't think that is the problem.

The sound is outstanding!

Thank you.

AACK! I can't change the spelling in the title.:eek:

Last edited:
Fremont_Hard_Strings.jpg

Funny. I just put Fremont Black Lines on my KoAloha standard soprano last week. I like them better than the strings that were on it, which I think were Aquilas (I don't think they were the stock Worths). The Aquilas were brighter than the North Star, so I wanted to knock it down a notch with the FBLs.

It is not quite as loud now, but is also not so "sharp" either, so the tone is more where I want it. I used FBL Mediums, not Hards.

They are available from lucysukulele, with is an eBay store, in case you're looking for them.

G'luck, h.

Last edited:
I think they come stock with Worth Clears.

In any regard, I thought they sounded/felt the same when I put Worth Clears on mine when I changed the strings. I loved the sound and feel of the Worths, and if I kept the KoAloha longer I probably would have experimented more with different strings. Worths were great, though.

For me, aside from strings, it's all about the string height and the action. It may be a combination of not being used to the string and action height. If you're used to a lower action it's really difficult liking a higher one.
I've only had two instruments that didn't need sometype of fiddlin' around with the height of the strings; my Mya Moe and Breedlove CM guitar. I just ordered a set of Fremont Blacklines for my Goldtone resonator; will be interesting trying them out.

Are you sure it's not the height of the frets? I've played a few Koalohas and the frets were a little chunkier feeling than on my sopranos (Martin, Kamaka, Lyon & Healy). Some people like them that way. If you don't, you can take your ukulele to a luthier and have them lowered. It's not a difficult job. I think there was a thread about it on the forum some time ago BTW.

Try the martin M600 on your koaloha...it will bring a warmer tone...you can have a luthier Lower the saddle
if you feel it is too high ...Good Luck and Happy Strummings

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I'll try the Martins first, because it's easiest. I noticed notes don't "slide" well, so maybe the frets have something to do with it, too. I got spoiled with my Ohana and Mainland and expected this to be "better". I like them all for different reasons. I'll keep sliding on my Ohana & Mainland:) and play different types of songs on the KoAloha for now. Don't get me wrong~ I love my new KoAloha!

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I'll try the Martins first, because it's easiest. I noticed notes don't "slide" well, so maybe the frets have something to do with it, too. I got spoiled with my Ohana and Mainland and expected this to be "better". I like them all for different reasons. I'll keep sliding on my Ohana & Mainland:) and play different types of songs on the KoAloha for now. Don't get me wrong~ I love my new KoAloha!

It's not that higher frets are necessarily bad, as long as they are not so high that the notes you play go sharp. Otherwise, it's a matter of preference; but if you are having trouble moving up and down the fretboard because they are high, you would probably prefer them to be lowered. I'm going to see if I can find that earlier thread. I've been curious about the results.

Thanks hmgberg:) I have a little trouble navigating, and I'm curious, too.

Top Bottom