Join in: My future Kamaka Tenor Semi-Custom

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Will you be getting Gilbert tuners, like Jake?

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Will you be getting Gilbert tuners, like Jake?

I believe they will not offer the slotted headstocks option.

Sounds nice. Good luck with the build - enjoy!

I was checking out the link to V74's Kamaka. Stunningly beautiful! You have chosen well.
-Joe

When I talked to Casey at NAMM I swear he mentioned that they were working on being able to make slotted headstocks available for the semi-customs. If @Colmes69 checks this thread out he might be able to verify if I am crazy or not.

Just contact them directly, by phone for a faster response.....he he your options can be endless but may be restrained by your budget.....yes go for it man...

When I called Kamaka and asked them about any options for a slotted headstock for an Ohta san they said no. don't know if they'd do it for a tenor. I also got the sense that these semi-customs aren't going to be made entirely by Casey. I believe that he had made all the customs/semi customs in the past, but with the Jake models still on tap, he will be involved but not the only person to handle the semi customs. At least that's what my understanding of the conversation was. To some, this may make a difference, since when you're buying a full custom, you're not just buying features, but you're often buying the services of a luthier.

Wooh, that's really kind! The phone costs + language made me go 'safe' and e-mail them. If you could do that, I'd be more than grateful. The options I mentioned in the first post are really what I have in mind now!
Are you inquiring or serious about buying one. and need to know the price...let me know more details.....Stan

Haha, I can tell pretty close to how much it's gonna cost 'cause I just put in my "special" custom order with them this week. I've been dealing with Tekla and she's been very friendly. The only time I called Kamaka was to put the deposit on it. My uke is pretty much identical to v74's. I've had that picked out since last summer when I was in Hawaii and waited till now to order it so I can pick it up in person this summer. :)

PM'ed you too! v74's is really a beauty..

PM'ed ya back. Ya. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted in a semi-custom and also thought about adding rosewood bindings but after seeing v74's beauty of a uke, I think that sealed the deal and skipped the bindings to keep it somewhat simple/clean looking without too much bling.

Ohta-san model is concert size and I guess that it is why Kamaka doesn't suggest to put slot head.
For semi-custom you can now place binding/purfling if you want, it is Apr now and they announced to start accepting more custom options after Apr in NAMM'12. Personally I would go for rope body binding, and a mini rosette to fit into Concert body, or normal rosette in Tenor.
I don't get the heat for slot head, so... I would skip it. And, you have more options to do tonewood and back'n'side combination as well. Only if you don't want to stick on all Koa wood build.

Hi ~ TwanBG

I am interested in getting myself a semi custom too, would that be possible for you to share with me the total cost of this beautiful baby ?

:D

That Ebony Head Stock with the Abalone inlayed Kamaka Logo looks Awesome!!!...

Top Bottom