Yewkulele anyone?

pakhan

Reaction score
Hi friends, just wanted to share my baby. I ordered this one from my old Friend Adrian Lucas who builds awesome guitars- I wanted something to remind me of the long time I was in England so opted for an all English uke.

In fact, it's made of Yew- hence it's nickname: the Yewkulele.

Yew is a nice tonewood and Adrian also used Laburum for the fingerboard which is a really nice touch as it's an English wood, very durable. The mahogany for the neck is from recycled window frames so the whole uke is very green. Happily it also doubles as a demo instrument for Adrian over here!

Only problem is, I'm really UASing for a tenor now....

BTW, here are pics of the completed instrument but I have the whole build process on photo (kindly provided for by Adrian)- I can post them up too if you guys are interested.

front.jpgback with heel cap detail.jpg

Beautiful! I think Pete Howlett has built a ukulele or two from yew as well.

Terence, that's one of the most beautiful ukuleles I've ever seen. How does it sound?

Terence, that's one of the most beautiful ukuleles I've ever seen. How does it sound?

Indeed! A real stunner, I haven't seen any like this before :love:

Yew've got a nice looking uke there...I'm with the others, let's hear it!

John

Thanks Guys,

It's on it's way over to me, I'll post up some recordings when I have it in my hands!

Firstly, that is beautiful work. I am a fan of yew-wood. My mom has a VERY old table, sort of a library table, of yew and I have had a lifelong "love affair" with it. It is amazing looking wood--dense and beautiful.

I can't wait to play it- truth be told all the Yew guitars I have played have been very sweet and balanced so I have my fingers crossed for this uke!

Wow, beautiful! Very striking...

I am always a sucker for a sapwood "skunk stripe." Very sharp looking uke.

A couple of the builders over here use yew and every 'yewk' I've heard build with it has sounded fantastic! Really looking forward to hearing this one mate, congrats on it!

I know Daryl from Cursley ukes did one as well iit looks very similar to that. They're lovely

Bloody gorgeous! Hope it sounds as good as it looks

Yew is botanically a softwood so you don't get the standard ukulele sound from it. I've built quite a few and they have all been very resonant but quite 'dark' in their sound. Although I like the look of yew it is hard getting good pieces; because of the way it grows and the fact that it is a non-plantation wood there is a huge amount of wastage in conversion. The sapwood tho striking can be structurally weak especially in the transition area from sapwood to heartwood.

Top Bottom