ukulele shops in Kona area???

hapuna

Reaction score
Well I will be in Kona soon and was wondering what there is in the way of ukulele shopping??? All help appreciated

Well I will be in Kona soon and was wondering what there is in the way of ukulele shopping??? All help appreciated
I'll be in Kona at the end of May and am curious to see what people say. I already plan on visiting Hilo Guitars on the other side of the island.

That list id out of date. No more Just Ukes in Kealakekua but they do have a new store in the Kings or Queens shops up in Waikaloa.
The most glaring omission is the Ukulele Gallery in Holualoa. No imported stuff here, mostly custom mades by members of the Big Island Ukulele Gallery. sam Rosen, the owner, also builds ukes and teaches uke building classes. It's a must stop to talk story about ukulele.

The most glaring omission is the Ukulele Gallery in Holualoa. No imported stuff here, mostly custom mades by members of the Big Island Ukulele Gallery. sam Rosen, the owner, also builds ukes and teaches uke building classes. It's a must stop to talk story about ukulele.

Thanks for the info, Chuck. I found their website. Definitely looks like it is worth a visit.

The just ukes shop is in the queens shopping center in mauna lani, about 10 mins north of waikoloa

The just ukes shop is in the queens shopping center in mauna lani, about 10 mins north of waikoloa

Queens shops is at Waikoloa resort, next to the King's shops. You are correct though that one of the Just Ukes stores is located at the Mauna Lani resort. It's at the little shopping center there called "The Shops at Mauna Lani". Just Ukes is a really cool shop, but mostly carries foreign made ukuleles. Soundwave Music is my favorite music shop in Kona. It usually has a good selection of ukuleles, including locally made and foreign, and with some good prices. In fact their pricing of Kalas is competitive with internet pricing. I've also in the past seen a good selection of Koaloha, Kamaka and Gstring, amongst others. Also check out the Music Exchange in Kona. They have good selection of foreign and local ukuleles.

There is a great Ukulele shop in the Kings Shops in Waikoloa right next to Tommy Bahama. Its called Hawaiian Ukulele and Guitar, they have everything from entry level instruments at a very affordable price to fine hand crafted instruments. They are just a short drive north of Kailua Kona at the Waikoloa Beach Resort. I found it well worth the trip.

That list id out of date. No more Just Ukes in Kealakekua but they do have a new store in the Kings or Queens shops up in Waikaloa.

Yeah..i read an article about his shop...
looks like a fun stop if you are into Ukulele...

he has some nice handmade one off ukes I think...

Yeah..i read an article about his shop...
looks like a fun stop if you are into Ukulele...

he has some nice handmade one off ukes I think...

There is a relatively new ukulele shop in Hawi (North Kohala). They have a great assortment of custom ukes as well as manufactured ones. An interesting shop in a funky little town with a knowledgable owner, Richard. Well worth the drive from anywhere on Big Island.

My trip to the Big Island is still several months away but I'm glad to see this thread resurrected.

Is it safe to say there is enough selection in the area that I don't need to make a special trip to Oahu just to visit HMS? I'll be in the market for a K-brand or equivalent quality.

My trip to the Big Island is still several months away but I'm glad to see this thread resurrected.

Is it safe to say there is enough selection in the area that I don't need to make a special trip to Oahu just to visit HMS? I'll be in the market for a K-brand or equivalent quality.

if you have the time and the money for airfare and rental car...HMS is the Ukulele Store you want go to if you are planning on buying a K brand...they may not have any Kamakas as they are sold as soon as they get them...but they have more of a selection of KoAloha's and Kanile'a,s..than anyone else...MGM goes to their factories daily to pick up new ukes...

call HMS from the Big Island and see what they have in stock...always best if you can play the uke you are going to buy

if you have the time and the money for airfare and rental car...HMS is the Ukulele Store you want go to if you are planning on buying a K brand...they may not have any Kamakas as they are sold as soon as they get them...but they have more of a selection of KoAloha's and Kanile'a,s..than anyone else...MGM goes to their factories daily to pick up new ukes...

call HMS from the Big Island and see what they have in stock...always best if you can play the uke you are going to buy

Kamakas just arrived this morning...be up soon

The shop Mr. Moore refers to is the Hawi Gallery. It's about a 45 minute drive North of Waikoloa along the scenic Kohala coastline. I spent some time in there last year on a visit to the Big Island. Richard's inventory also includes many vintage ukes, guitars, mandolins, and local art pieces. Being a fresh uke-noob at the time, he let me try everything from the very affordable to high-end customs. I walked out of there with some good basic knowledge, a few chords... and a new soprano!
Take some time in Hawi town, have lunch at the Bamboo Restaurant and check out the local artists.

If you take a short drive north of Kona up to the village of Waikola, about 20 min. You will find the Waikoloa Beach Resort. Located on the shopping area here is an unbelievable Uke shop called Hawaiian Ukulele & Guitar, this is possibly the best Uke shop in the islands. They have something for everyone from newbi to professional. Including an entire wall of handmade Hawaiian Ukuleles. This is one you do not want to miss if you want the best Ukulele for you money.

Top Bottom