PDA

View Full Version : Uke Minutes 4 - DIY Ukulele Case Humidifier

rayan
02-11-2008, 12:23 AM
New video is up on the main site. If anybody ends up making one, please post your pics or vids!

deadeye
02-11-2008, 01:24 AM
thats really cool! i wish i lived in a dry place ;) wales is average 80% humidity (you would never guess, its FREEZING)

do you know of any homemade fixes for too much humidity?

Fred Miu
02-11-2008, 05:05 AM
PEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ hahahaha ill get right to making one of those

UKESTAR
02-11-2008, 05:43 AM
thats really cool! i wish i lived in a dry place ;) wales is average 80% humidity (you would never guess, its FREEZING)

do you know of any homemade fixes for too much humidity?

Get gel packs to reduce humidity if needed. Too much humidity can swell the soundboard etc and the crisp highs and lows will be lost.....don't want to scare you....better to know this in my opinion..

Also, if it is cold and you run a heater inside your house, this can really reduce the RH level quickly!!! Then you may need to buy an in case humidifier to compensate...
:rolleyes:

hotnanas
02-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Get gel packs to reduce humidity if needed. Too much humidity can swell the soundboard etc and the crisp highs and lows will be lost.....don't want to scare you....better to know this in my opinion..

Also, if it is cold and you run a heater inside your house, this can really reduce the RH level quickly!!! Then you may need to buy an in case humidifier to compensate...
:rolleyes:

Where can I find these gel packs? Here in Houston we live in an average 77% humidity. Should I store one of these in my case?

UKESTAR
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Where can I find these gel packs? Here in Houston we live in an average 77% humidity. Should I store one of these in my case?

The only way to know what is going on INSIDE your house is to purchase a hygrometer for about $20 and test it. Again, AC and heating will really alter the RH in your house quickly!!

The gell packs are nothing special....they are what come with a lot of things you can buy. Not sure where to purchase them though. They just look like a little bag of sugar for coffee..

hotnanas
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
is this similar or the same silica packets that come in all sorts of products when they are bought brand new?

UKESTAR
02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
is this similar or the same silica packets that come in all sorts of products when they are bought brand new?

I think so....might want to look it up though just to make sure.

FunkyPeaNutZ
02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
So now I'm stuck. Now I got some pez, and nothing to dispense it with. What do I do aldrine. You can't eat pez without popping it out of the dispenser. That's sacrilegous. That's like eating peanut butter with no jelly. Spam with no rice.

Howlie Boy
02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Love the video, i think im going to try this one....

Howlie Boy

puremarkska
02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
So now I'm stuck. Now I got some pez, and nothing to dispense it with. What do I do aldrine. You can't eat pez without popping it out of the dispenser. That's sacrilegous. That's like eating peanut butter with no jelly. Spam with no rice.

Hahaha - you could always use the pez as bricks for a mighty ant fortress ...

rayan
02-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Maybe cut the foam first, then put the pez in to the dispenser and eat them, then make the humidifier.

hahaha. I dont know man. That is a conundrum....

Fred Miu
02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Maybe cut the foam first, then put the pez in to the dispenser and eat them, then make the humidifier.

hahaha. I dont know man. That is a conundrum....

man you got to do it right;

eat the pez, then cut the foam, then make the humidifer. haha

rayan
02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
man you got to do it right;

eat the pez, then cut the foam, then make the humidifer. haha

Then how would you measure the foam?

Fred Miu
02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Then how would you measure the foam?

damn, you have a point.

CORRECTION!!!

Measure/cut foam, EAT PEZ, them make humidifier!

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-11-2008, 07:55 PM
i got the stuff for mine ^^

Hawaii808
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
does anyone know were you can buy a ukulele humidifier online?

Fred Miu
02-11-2008, 09:04 PM

google and/or eBay will definitely would know. but my guess is eBay, for your best shot

rayan
02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey guys, whats up? I don't see any pics yet.

NukeDOC
02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
ill make one as soon as they make a pez dispenser with aldrine's head on it. hahaha

tripl3thr33
02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
ill make one as soon as they make a pez dispenser with aldrine's head on it. hahaha

hahaha, i think i would freak out if that ever happened.... and then buy it lol

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-12-2008, 10:07 AM
hahaha, i think i would freak out if that ever happened.... and then buy it lol
hahaha an Aldrine pez dispenser.

EleoCasil
02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Man i wish i knew how to do this when i was in Wisconsin. Wisconsin is soo dry! haha I'ma make one an post up a video about this!

hybridnightmare
02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
"35-45% range or lower"(humidity)

so if its higher than 45 we are okay?

UKESTAR
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Get a clay Herco humidifier for your case. They are about $5 and only need to be re-soaked about every 3 weeks..:)

Fatboicorp
02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
does aldrine use it??

UKESTAR
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
does aldrine use it??

If you are talking about a humidifier, then I don't really think Aldrine has a reason to use one living in Hawaii, where there is a ton of humidiity already. He may use one if he uses AC??

hybridnightmare
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
If you are talking about a humidifier, then I don't really think Aldrine has a reason to use one living in Hawaii, where there is a ton of humidiity already. He may use one if he uses AC??

so is high humidity goo for a ukulele?
im really confused. moisture makes ur ukulele dry?

UKESTAR
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
so is high humidity goo for a ukulele?
im really confused. moisture makes ur ukulele dry?

Too much (over 70%) is bad

Too little or very dry (under abt. 40%) is bad

Ideal is bet. 45 and 55%

Heating and AC can really dry the air in your house

hybridnightmare
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
hmm so how does the humidifier (pez) work? what exactly does it do and how does it do that?
also what size should the holes be? like really big or small?

ukeboypat
02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
i made the dehumidifier mentioned and i actually noticed a difference (humidity is ridiculous were i live) in the sound im quite amazed thanks so much everyone

Jonnie
05-10-2008, 11:16 AM
...I've got some very slight cracking on the uke's body, on the outside, where the bottom, inside strut (there are two) connect/touch the body walls. I contaced the maker and he thought something had shrank.

If you run your finger over the spot, you feel a slight rise.

After reading this issue about humidity, and living in San Diego, I'm thinking maybe the air got too dry. Mine hangs on the wall (not in a case).

Current humidity is 54%. However there are days when it's in the single digits.

Live and learn :o

kg0088
06-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Is the homemade, PEZ dispenser humidifier actually reliable?? Is it actually ok to use this as your normal humidifier???

RON<>VA
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I was hanging out at our local Richmond Ukulele shop this weekend. The owner, Rob Deel (ukulele4u on ebay) suggested the Herco Humidifier. He had a more expensive model but said this would work fine. I only paid about $4 for it. You just soak it in water for about 5 minutes twice a month and you are good to go.

http://www.promusicalaska.com/store_images/1326-300.jpg