make a case for a case...need recommendations

ejnovinsky

Reaction score
So guitar center does not stock any hard cases........how ridiculous is that? So I have to order something, What I would really like is a rectangular, not uke shaped case that has a nice vintage look to it....kinda like a nice old vintage suitcase. Maybe tweed, or faux gator or something interesting like that. Hopefully under 100 bucks. anyone got any ideas? Would have to fit soprano obviously with geared tuners.....built in humidity function would be nice as well

It won't help you immediately, but I have just bought a $1200 sewing machine which is used to sew the standard cardboard cases. If you do not find what you want, contact me . You will be surprised how simple it is to make what you want. 1/8 inch thick plywood is sold as door skins. Cases are much easier to build than ukuleles. No, you will not need my sewing machine.

I'd measure first and search next for a tight fit....there are so many choices, ask for the dementions first....Good Luck

Here is a Fremont case. The tweeds start at the concert size. You will hear mixed reviews about them, but I've had great luck with them and have all my K-ukulele's in them.

http://elderly.com/accessories/names/fremont-soprano-ukulele-hardshell-case--UHC-S.htm

thats just about perfect!! I wish it was made of something a little more fun, but very close and a decent price...thanks for that, if I dont find anything better by the end of the weekend thats going to be the ticket...

I'd measure first and search next for a tight fit....there are so many choices, ask for the dementions first....Good Luck

thats what Im worried about stan there are so many options, and it would appear that not all sopranos will fit in all soprano cases. The length makes a difference, tuners make a difference.......Should have just got one from mainland, stupid of me.....also why I was looking at rectangle cases where there seems to be more wiggle room in fit, but they dont look as secure........

It seems to me that this market is wide open. Sam Ash Music does carry some very nice hard cases, but you'll pay top dollar. I'd love to see more variety in cases, plain brown or black just doesn't cut it for a fashionable gal like myself.
The rectangular case seems a good idea to 'mask' that you are carrying an ukulele, but it could be mistaken for a fiddle, and might even get swiped!
Although, believe it or not, my uke in it's uke shaped case gets mistaken for a fiddle all the time. Until I open the box. I also have a very sharp looking gig bag that I got from Mim, really catches the eye, in black and red.

I'm still looking at making my own. Just waiting for the next time my local boatyard has a skip full of oak faced plywood offcuts.

Of course, it's much easier to buy one.

I have one of those Freemont cases, and think it's fantastic.

Not a full shot of the case...But my concert in a Fremont Case...

photo-17-1.jpg

I have a Fremont tweed for my Kiwaya longneck and love it. At least one person reported problems with their case smelling very strongly and outgassing something that messed up the finish on a nice uke, but that seems to be a pretty rare case (pun intended).

John

I've got 3 GATOR cases for my sopranos . It's a good lightweight case ,something like a samsonite case. Great case for the money.

Last time I looked it seemed as if the Gator hard cases weren't being made anymore.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the Fremont Tweed case.
http://elderly.com/accessories/names/fremont-concert-ukulele-tweed-hardshell-case--UTC-C.htm
Mine is magenta inside. It had a strong glue smell when I got it, but it went away. It has that retro look I think you were hoping for.
A soprano one is shown here
http://takumiukulele.com/cases.html

–Lori

Thats it! but no one seems to be selling it! the link showing the soprano model has no option to buy......I found one on elderly but it tells me its no longer available :( plenty for other sizes but no sopranos......bummer

The soprano case seems to have some headspace.

Does anyone have an 8-string (I'm looking for something for my Lanikai) that they put in one of these? Would the 8-string's longer head fit ok?

I've got a solid foam case, but it's not... quite. I'm a tweed-head, through and through.

The soprano case seems to have some headspace.

Does anyone have an 8-string (I'm looking for something for my Lanikai) that they put in one of these? Would the 8-string's longer head fit ok?

I've got a solid foam case, but it's not... quite. I'm a tweed-head, through and through.

looks to me like it would fit...theres plenty of room in there

I feel that the uke-shaped cases are better protection when they fit properly.

I do know that many of my bullet-proof cases tended to be instrument shaped case designs (i.e. Calton, Ameritages's and Pegasus')...But the rectangular cases offer a bit more storage and with the tweed, look vintage.

Top Bottom