Mahalo nui loa Koaloha(Thank you very much Koaloha) reposted!

UK Paulie

Reaction score
Because I feel so strongly that people should be aware of Koaloha's ways and the amazing people over there, I am reposting this here (where it perhaps should have been in the first place lol)

As we speak, a Koaloha ukulele is on its way to me. In itself, not much of a story but let me share how this came about. I thought my custom build was going to be quite a way off so I wanted to get something now (I know, UAS written all over it) so I was in contact with the folks at koaloha. I wont go into details but events caused me to find myself politely but frankly expressing my disappointment at the customer service I'd received and Alan Okami emailed me to ask me to share details of it with him which I did. Less than 24 hours had passed following me doing this when I recieved another email from Alan. I will copy and paste the words which very nearly caused me to spit my morning coffee out all over my laptop...
"I have a proposition for you. Should you select to take me up on the offer, my desire is that you will be able to regain some confidence in your experience of dealing with us.

We would like to send you a KSM-02, long neck soprano, compliments of our ohana.

I have read your sentiments of having our instrument as something of high desire and much anticipation. In that regard, I have much regret that matters did not proceed as you desired. While I cannot change what has already transpired, we would like to make amends accordingly. We do not hesitate to honor our commitment to insuring satisfaction".... I was, and to some extent still am, stunned by this. I am truly humbled by Alan's decency, generosity and spirit. This is the spirit with which the Okami family do business and the spirit with which their instruments are built.I think that spirit is one of the reasons Koaloha make some of the finest ukulele's on the planet. I believe it is right for me to share this story as people should be aware of companies like Koaloha who still value their customers and still practice true customer service. Thank you Alan, Brian and everyone at Koaloha, it is my honour to become a part of the Koaloha Ohana.

That's amazing. I remember the McKenzie Brothers from the old SCTV who put a baby mouse in a beer bottle and kept feeding it until big, then brought it to the liquor store and ordered a case of beer then told the manager, "There won't be any charge for this case of beer," and held up the bottle with the mouse in it! Lol.

I guess with the Okamis, no mouse is needed. A interesting story, for sure, Paulie. I think that's about a six hundred dollar instrument.

That's quite an offer from Mr Okami. Did you take him up on it?

Last edited:
Without knowing all the details of what went wrong, I have to say I would feel very uncomfortable with this offer. A free case for the troubles perhaps but a free uke of this quality just seems way over the top. They are a small business and this has to cost them (and their other customers) so it just doesn't seem right to me. Others are free to disagree of course.

Without knowing all the details of what went wrong, I have to say I would feel very uncomfortable with this offer. A free case for the troubles perhaps but a free uke of this quality just seems way over the top. They are a small business and this has to cost them (and their other customers) so it just doesn't seem right to me. Others are free to disagree of course.

Based on the facts that have been disclosed, acceptance of a free ukulele from Koaloha is not warranted. I would send it back with my sincere thanks for their more than generous offer.

True Ohana mentality with KoAloha. There's no other manufacturer that truly honors their name and the satisfaction of their customers than KoAloha. Definitely next uke will be one of theirs. :)

For sure, one of the major reasons Koaloha are one of the Biggest makers today. People want to know they are valued as a customers. The Okami's are fantastic people.

The Okami's and Koaloha have so much aloha ......there is so much more they do that we don't hear about...thank you for sharing your experience with us...

The Okami's and Koaloha have so much aloha ......there is so much more they do that we don't hear about...thank you for sharing your experience with us...

Thank you Stan, you are so right. After this happened I read other stories of the Okami's doing the same thing, with a custom tenor in one instance! Sharing it is just my way of saying thank you and hopefully having a good effect too. Mahalo!

I had a similar experience with them where I sent something to fix and they were going to reimburse me for some shipping costs and I declined since they were so nice.

KoAloha has some of the best customer service in ANY industry. I can't help to think of what the world would be like with more responsible corporate citizens like KoAloha.

I look forward to seeing the photos of your uke when you get it. They go above and beyond but I am not surprised.

I posted this recently, but am copying it here to join in the praise for the Okamis. I know we always hear stories around the UU parts about how great the KoAloha spirit is, but I just wanted to chime in with my recent experience. I just bought a crown bridge tenor and since I am completely incapable of playing while standing (and some would argue barely capable while sitting), I needed to get either a strap button or input jack on the uke. While I like the uke leash for my Pineapple Sunday, or while sitting, I prefer a more traditional strap when playing a tenor and standing.

So I tweeted that I wasn't sure which route to take, and Paul Okami advised I should opt for the input. Since I already have a Mi-Si in my Kamaka, I bought the new LR Baggs 5-0 for my KoAloha.

I then mentioned to him that I was going to be in Oahu for a day, and while I knew they were crazy busy, was there any way I could make an appt. to get it installed. He had me speak with Brian, who kindly accommodated me and told me he would do it for me.

So a couple of weeks ago (in crazy pouring rain), I took the bus out to KoAloha. Brian warmly greeted me and told me he would call when he was finished. I also mentioned it had a tiny intonation issue at the 12th fret, and that the A string tuner was a little tight. He told me he would look at both for me while he had it.

Before I left, Papa and Mama KoAloha came in, and Papa smiled and told me, "I remember you!" I was shocked as I had done a tour of the factory about a year ago, and that was the only time we met. That day, he sang for my mother and I ("When Sunny Gets Blue" -perfect since that was my grandmother's name). I told him why I was there, and that I loved my tenor and Pineapple Sunday and he said that made his day - what a sweet man.

A few hours later, Brian called to say my uke was ready and I headed back out to pick it up. When I got there, he told me that I didn't need to pay for the install as they wanted to thank me for my loyalty to the KoAloha brand. I was thrilled and gave him a big hug.

I can't say enough about the KoAloha customer service and ohana. They truly go above and beyond. I feel a little guilty as I may end up needing to sell my Pineapple Sunday in a couple of weeks. But I decided to post this anyway as it is just one more example of why, when anyone asks which of the K brands they should buy, my first recommendation will always be KoAloha. I like the history of Kamaka, and the beauty of the Kanileas, but you just can't beat the customer service of KoAloha.

PS - he also fixed my A string tuner, and the intonation is spot on. He did adjust the action a bit (it is now a tad higher on the higher frets), but he did an amazing job.

Last edited:
Cannot say enough good things about Alan, Paul and Brian- given some free cash, a Red Label will be next.

gotta say. I really love hearing these stories about this company. Makes me enjoy mine even more!

I agree with what everyone has said about the KoAloha aloha. They're wonderful people.

Given that the OP posted the email he received from KoAloha, I think he should also have posted the email (or other correspondence) he sent to KoAloha that prompted KoAloha's response.

There are no better people on the planet than the Okami's. I received the gift of a lifetime from them in my custom tenor. Please feel free to read the story embedded in my signature below to find out about it.

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone has said about the KoAloha aloha. They're wonderful people.

Given that the OP posted the email he received from KoAloha, I think he should also have posted the email (or other correspondence) he sent to KoAloha that prompted KoAloha's response.

That's a very fair comment as Alan doesn't usually comment directly and it's surprising they wronged you that badly in the first place that Alan had to comment.

I just want to say that they hadn't wronged me 'badly' and I believe it was a statement of intent from Alan, as he has recently been made President. This for me, just further illustrates the kind of people the Okami's are. Also, I don't agree that the whole email correspondance should be posted. I wanted to share the key points and simply share the fantastic customer service Koaloha and the Okami's practice. The line from the email simply said what needed to be said better than I could. The point here is this, if anyone is looking for a top end instrument and would like to also know that in buying that instrument they are buying from people who really cherish their customers, even insignificant guys from a little place far away, that Koaloha are without peer. Thanks for all your nice comments and to consitter, thanks for sharing. I had already seen your wonderful story and so knew that this is simply the kind of thing they do. Thanks alot everyone.

The Okami's are a Christian family and are doing what God has blessed them to do from their hearts.

Two months, or is it three months and I can't get them to send me replacement tuners that are failing and I offered to pay for them. Maybe I should talk to Alan instead of Brian.

Top Bottom