Ukulele In Public

therimidalv

Reaction score
I was just curious, where would your guys' best opinions be for the best place to play ukulele in public, besides a show?

Depends on what your trying to accomplish I suppose.

I write songs, and I actually am trying to save up and get a mic, blah blah...release an album with like 5 songs haha. So honestly, I practically bring my uke everywhere - wal-mart, the mall, school, walking to 7-eleven, trying to complete songs or get ideas.

If you want to panhandle, I suggest outside a store, though you COULD get in trouble for that. My friends would play outside of Ralphs and they would usually get some money. The ralphs employees didnt really care, but then again, thats just them.

Maybe a coffee shop :D

waitin' for the subway or bus...

on the benches outside your office during your lunch hour...

on your front steps when the neighbors and kids are out and about....

that's about it for me. I don't busk though.

and I play a lotta early music, like renaissance stuff, and flamenco too, so people aren't real sure what kind of instrument I'm playing. Folks just don;t generally associate ukuleles with that kinda music...

Last edited:
From Busker World:

http://www.buskerworld.com

Busking Etiquette
The Unwritten Rules Amongst Street Performers

Performing on the street quite often requires courage and confidence to exhibit your art form in a public arena - without an official request to do so.

Confidence obviously comes from believing in your artistic ability enough to entertain the wider public and seek remuneration.

Knowing the basic legalities, both written and unwritten, about the location in which you are playing will boost your confidence ten fold as you become an informed performer who can confidently answer any questions from those who may challenge your right to perform on the street.

Once you understand and follow street performance rules, any fears of "making mistakes" will dramatically reduce, if not disappear, and instead, the performer will feel professional, self-assured, prepared and confident about handling any situation.

Aside from obtaining busking permission or licenses from the relevant local authorities, there are certain unwritten laws that many new street performers are not aware of. These unwritten rules and legalities fall into the category of busker etiquette that has been developed amongst street performers to ensure everyone has a fair and equal opportunity to perform successfully.

Busker etiquette is common in prime busking Hot Spots, locations, where there is a high demand to perform.

It is completely up to the amateur street performer to abide by any rules that have been set up by experienced buskers that have successfully established an enjoyable busking atmosphere in a particular location. Many novice buskers have learnt the hard way that busker etiquette must be followed and respected.

The most common consequences from not following busker etiquette are public confrontations, being blacklisted amongst street performers, heckled during performance or continually harrassed to buzz off when in or near the "etiquette zone".

Dog Park's, Parking Lots waiting for the other half to finishing shopping, in front of work

We just spent several weeks in Orlando. While we were there we bought a sweet little moonlight blue Flea just so we had a knockaround uke we could take everywhere.

We played walking around a golf course, at a couple of resort pools, and at three different theme parks at Walt Disney World. And I frequently played in the car while Rich drove.

thats awesome guys thanks, im gunna havta read those busking rules, i didnt know they have those!

I played for quite a while by my gate in the Lihue airport this summer, and got about a dozen listeners. :D Afterwards I helped some tourists tune the cheap ukes they bought on their trip, but I didn't have the heart to tell them that gift-shop ukes are not meant to stay in tune.

Dog Park's, Parking Lots waiting for the other half to finishing shopping, in front of work

Haha. My girlfriend works at a big shopping center, so when I'm stuck(nothing to do when I visit her) there and she's working, I'll play in the parking lots or over by a fountain(next to a carousel, so lots of kids watch me). Places where people like to take strolls work too. I generally don't play for a crowd. I just place where it feels nice to play.

Pretty anywhere the mood strikes. I met a guy today who was sitting along the side of the local quickie mart in a town that boasts a population of 2313 people. We chatted for 5 minutes traded a strum pattern and where to find ukes in the neighboring town, and invitations to get together. Ukeleles are fantasic ice breakers, and we've met some fantasic folks thanks to them.

But for all the musicians who play for pay in public venues I visit, nobody had a uke. I've seen people drag around harps, cellos, pianos, alpine horns, and even dulcimers, but no ukes.

If you want to panhandle, I suggest outside a store, though you COULD get in trouble for that.

:mad:

Busking is NOT panhandling!

Buskers give you a show and if you want to donate, you can. If you don't, OK then (though it does miff me a bit to be photographed, video'd or whatever without a donation being made).

Panhandlers give you nothing.

:mad:

Busking is NOT panhandling!

Buskers give you a show and if you want to donate, you can. If you don't, OK then (though it does miff me a bit to be photographed, video'd or whatever without a donation being made).

Panhandlers give you nothing.

OOOh...I wouldn't know, I don't do that. I play and get weird looks though. They're just jealous. haha, jk

on the Crapper! haha great acoustics!

i play anywhere and everywhere! just trying to share the uke love! :rock:

where ever n when ever I feel as long as I feel I'm not bothering anyone. what's music to some is just noise to others.:(

OOOh...I wouldn't know, I don't do that. I play and get weird looks though. They're just jealous. haha, jk

Me too!! good lord.. people SO WHAT IF I RANDOMLY PLAY THE UKULELE IN FRONT OF A HOSPITAL!?!? although at school I'm praised for it :/

Anywhere is good for me ;)

:mad: Busking is NOT panhandling!

Howlin Hobbit is correct, again!

http://www.buskerworld.com/what_is_busking.html

What Is Busking?
Most of us at some stage or another have enjoyed those special and often rare moments of taking a relaxed stroll through a park, along a beach promenade, past a tourist attraction or a casual walk through the city.

Chances are you would have noticed a musician, someone juggling, or perhaps a comedian entertaining those who pass by, and wondered “What on earth is that person doing out here?” Shouldn’t they be indoors, onstage, entertaining a seated audience?

Most definitely not!

For this is a busker and performing outdoors - busking - is what they love to do.

A busker, also known as a street performer, is someone who does exactly what the title implies... performs on the streets, usually in areas where there is high pedestrian traffic.

A busker can be a musician, comedian, juggler, clown, actor, variety artist, improviser, dancer, acrobatic, contortionist, magician, fire eater, sword swallower, snake charmer, fortune teller, sidewalk artist (sketching, painting, etc), puppeteer, storyteller, poet, mime, living statue, balloon sculptor or perform any type of art that will be appreciated by pedestrians.

Unlike professionally organized entertainment where the entertainer is guaranteed ‘x’ amount of dollars for putting on a show, a busker does not charge a set price, but will accept ‘tips’ for their performance.

The busker’s audience may walk on by – quite often with a new spring in their step, perhaps stop momentarily or even settle in and get comfortable to enjoy the entertainment. As a sign of appreciation and encouragement, the audience offers money or gifts - usually dropped into the performers ‘hat’. How well the busker performs and interacts with the audience can greatly influence how much money he or she will receive.

Why Are They Busking?
Whilst the purpose of busking is to entertain passers-by and collect ‘tips’ for offering an enjoyable form of art, a common misconception is that buskers are nothing more than panhandlers or beggars. What some people don’t realize is that there are many reasons, other than making money why a busker performs on the streets.

These include - to share their artistic talents with others, to gain self confidence, to test artistic skills or new material on a live audience, to build a ‘following’, to rehearse in a lively atmosphere rather than in a garage or merely to meet new people. Budding artists often start their career on the streets simply to be seen.

Buskers will happily entertain and generally don’t ask for payment, but are obviously delighted to receive any feedback and of course, their most preferred form of recognition - money.

Like it, love it or leave it...
Buskers are a traditional element in our outdoor pedestrian landscape. Please respect their courage and acknowledge them. If nothing else, offer a happy smile!

therimidalv,

The busking sounds interesting. Christmas is coming. Perhap a santa suit with some seasonal songs are in order.

I, myself, play guitar here regularly in Lexington, KY. I do take my uke with me to the gigs and play a few numbers to break it up a bit. Most patrons think I am playing a mandolin due to the geographical location where in live. Ha,ha...

However, when thinking of non-stage gigs, I am starting to get booked for some weddings gigs next spring. People around here are biting on "Somewhere over the rainbow" and "Going to California". I also was asked to play at a funeral a while back, which was a bit rough.

But getting to very "non" stage gigs...This summer my wife, daugther and I vacationed at North Topsail Island, NC. My daily routine would be to hang by the pool with my uke close by. People would stop and request songs. Some young guitartist were very nice and curious about the uke and would ask to try it. The hotel even offered me a pool side gig if I wanted it. That never happened though due to a lack of a P.A

Hope you find some cool places to share your uke skills!....thanks, e.lo...

Last edited:
Top Bottom