Good Homemade Percussion to Ukuleles?

JKoval

Reaction score
Sometimes I just don't think it'd be worth it to buy a new three hundred drum kit just for my shenanigans so I've made a low-tech floor-tom from a steel soup pot stuffed with a pillow and a piece of cardboard on top. Any ideas for easy-accessible cheap material to make possibly a bass drum? Shoot me up, UU.

-Jeff

Last edited:
That is just an awesome video! I love his drums. I love drums just in general, but those really sound wonderful. He's a good drummer also, which doesn't hurt.

hehe, yeah, and it's a great Estonian band, my (bagpipe) teacher played some concerts with them... I think those drums shouldn't be difficult to be copied...

An uncomfortably solid couch cushion is a great makeshift bass drum if you already have a pedal. Another option is a big plastic trash can laying on its side.

alright here is this, its a band called the Street Drum Corps... they dont use any drums per say... street drum corps

they put on an amazing show... just look at some other vids...

A sturdy cardboard box or an old hardshell suitcase makes a good bass drum for live performance. The suitcase has the added benefit of carrying other stuff in it to the gig.

For recording, you can close-mike a fat telephone book and get a good bass drum sound by thumping it with a normal kickdrum beater. (Jackson Browne did it on his album "Running on Empty" for one of the tunes he recorded in a hotel room.)

You can get a hip brushed snare sound by taking a cardboard box, laying several sheets of newspaper over the top, and anchoring them down (not too tightly, just enough so that they don't slip off) by wrapping with a big old rubber band. You can tie a bunch of little rubber bands together for the latter. You play it with actual drum brushes.

A washboard set up in skilled hands can rock. Three of the recent releases in our "rehearsal tapes series" feature our drummer, Sketch, on washboard. Burnt Bean Water, Dead Egyptian Blues and Say Hello To Mr. Snake.

On at least one of them (can't recall which right now) he's playing the washboard with drum brushes. Very cool sound.

There's an outfit called "Trash Kat" makes a kit for a regular garbage can. You can prolly figure out how to rig up a ready made drum head or a hoop with heavy ripstop nylon and have a decent sounding bass, just by having a look at theirs.

Top Bottom