Having a uke autographed ... hmm

tooney

Reaction score
I originally posted this question under the thread for Jake S.'s concert in South Jersey a week from today, but then I thought maybe it's not really a "Jake" question so much. The starting point of course is whether to have Jake sign one of my ukes after the show. But which one? Not my best one, which I was thinking of bringing for the jam afterward.

So here I am wondering, in general, what everyone's thoughts are regarding having a uke autographed. Fun, but what if I wanted to sell it - is this a good thing to have, or not? Have I defaced my uke? I'd love to know what folks think. :confused:

There was a Mya Moe for sale here not too long ago. It was signed by another well known uke artist. It sat far longer than average as everyone was put off by the autograph. Finally, someone thought they may be able to remove it or just get used to it.

Thanks for the thread, itsme. I do agree with philpot's sentiment - what's important, is would it make me (or any owner) happy. I wouldn't get one signed in hopes that it would add value to my uke. I agree with what someone posted in the other thread, that's it's meeting the artist and talking to him - the experience - where the true value lies.

In general autographs really don't mean much to me, so I guess that answers my question. I may have Jake sign something that I can hang off my uke, but even then, maybe not. But I WILL enjoy the concert and look forward to meeting this fabulously talented person.

Ah, "everyone was put off by the autograph." What's important to one person might not be to another. I think I'll remember meeting Jake in another way. Camera, anyone?

Thanks, Patrick.
There was a Mya Moe for sale here not too long ago. It was signed by another well known uke artist. It sat far longer than average as everyone was put off by the autograph. Finally, someone thought they may be able to remove it or just get used to it.

personally I wouldnt mess up one of my ukes with an autograph, but thats just me.....if youre into it awesome.....If youre getting that uke autographed for the right reasons, namely for a keepsake rather than monetary value of someones signature then selling shouldnt even be a concern right?

Years ago, Ledward Kaapana was playing at a local saloon. I thought of getting his autograph, even though I'm not really into that kind of thing, and then it occurred to me to have him sign my Fluke, which I considered a fine "beater" instrument, but nothing I would ever worry about. He wrote "Just Press" and his autograph on the sound board. Now, it is covered with autographs, including Jake, James, Lyle, Bill Tapia, John King, Herb Ohta Jr., Dennis and David Kamakahi, and about 30 others. What was my cheapest uke is now one of my most treasured! I don't even play it anymore, for fear of wearing off some of the signatures ... a good reason to start with a cheap uke!

lol, I overstepped with the word everyone. Meant "many of the comments" my bad. For myself, It would depend on the uke. I just care about how good the action is; not how it looks or who signed it.

I agree with Tommy B. I am running the Jake concert next weekend in south jersey and I will probably be with Jake most of the day, so getting an ukulele signed will be easy-- and i do want one signed, and have decided that it will be my Kala Travel uke. I bought a sensational looking Kanilea super tenor from TommyB a few months back. It has premium curly koa with a satin finish. I am going ask Jake to play my new Kanile'a K-1 and hope to get a picture of him playing it with me next to him, but as far as an autograph goes, it will be the Kala, or just the jacket of his CD. My instruments are just to beautiful to have anybody's signature on it, unless it was maybe Joe Souza or Sam Kamaka or Papa KoAloha. And speaking of that monster jam afterwards. Well, that is something that I want to have going on there-- I have the room- I have the stage-- I have plenty of chairs-- but look for a post later on the week as I look for some suggestions on how to organize that. I love the idea- but I am not sure how to make sure it is a success with a theatre full of ukulele players I don't even know. Look for that post later in the week.

Years ago, Ledward Kaapana was playing at a local saloon. I thought of getting his autograph, even though I'm not really into that kind of thing, and then it occurred to me to have him sign my Fluke, which I considered a fine "beater" instrument, but nothing I would ever worry about. He wrote "Just Press" and his autograph on the sound board. Now, it is covered with autographs, including Jake, James, Lyle, Bill Tapia, John King, Herb Ohta Jr., Dennis and David Kamakahi, and about 30 others. What was my cheapest uke is now one of my most treasured! I don't even play it anymore, for fear of wearing off some of the signatures ... a good reason to start with a cheap uke!

Very cool. The idea of having an autograph-only uke as a display is a pretty groovy idea. Though, it's clear you and I have very different definitions of "cheap", since at around $200 I would hardly call any Flea/Fluke cheap.

As to the OP's question, I suppose I agree with the consensus that if it makes him happy, that's great.

Lastly, the idea of having a uke autorgraphed with the intent of selling it seems particularly odious to me (not that the OP was considering that at all).

Very cool. The idea of having an autograph-only uke as a display is a pretty groovy idea. Though, it's clear you and I have very different definitions of "cheap", since at around $200 I would hardly call any Flea/Fluke cheap.

As to the OP's question, I suppose I agree with the consensus that if it makes him happy, that's great.

Lastly, the idea of having a uke autorgraphed with the intent of selling it seems particularly odious to me (not that the OP was considering that at all).

LOL, PoiDog, I consider $200 a lot of money, too. But I got the Fluke used for half that, and honestly, when I started getting it autographed, I fully expected I'd continue to play it. But when the soundboard and even fretboard (!) filled up with autographs, I just couldn't risk it anymore.

I totally agree that one shouldn't collect autographs as an investment, though. That just seems like bad form, not to mention bad investment strategy.

efiscella, I'm glad you're still digging the Kanilea! Did you see the Talsma tenor that I replaced it with?

I originally posted this question under the thread for Jake S.'s concert in South Jersey a week from today, but then I thought maybe it's not really a "Jake" question so much. The starting point of course is whether to have Jake sign one of my ukes after the show. But which one? Not my best one, which I was thinking of bringing for the jam afterward.

So here I am wondering, in general, what everyone's thoughts are regarding having a uke autographed. Fun, but what if I wanted to sell it - is this a good thing to have, or not? Have I defaced my uke? I'd love to know what folks think. :confused:

Jake signed a uke for me a couple of years ago and then signed one for my daughter a year ago. Best place to sign is on the lower bout, right hand side (if you are facing the uke) as you won't play over it and maybe it will last. I play the uke that Jake signed every day and it is fading, but still there. I think it adds value, it does not take it away. But it also makes it hard to part with, and I don't think I ever will.

Now, in my daughter's case, Jake was so touched that I was getting one signed for my daughter, he actually personalized it to here. In the marketplace, this probably made it not as valuable as the generic signature I have on mine, however we will never sell it as my daughter treasures it.

Just keep in mind if you get your most-played uke signed, you run the risk of it fading over time - had I to do it over again, I think I would have had Jake sign a uke I keep in a case so as to keep the signature fresh, but then there is something to be said for being inspired by his signature every time I play. Some have told me I could spray something over it to keep it from fading further, but I am not sure about that.

Either way, get it signed where your hand won't touch it and if it is from someone like Jake you make it more valuable, not less. Mike

So true about getting the autograph for the right reason, to have something that reminds you of a great evening - and I have no intentions of selling one of my "kids." :) Still, I was really hesitating about putting ink on an instrument, and this confirmed what I thought. I love it when other people do it, though.
personally I wouldnt mess up one of my ukes with an autograph, but thats just me.....if youre into it awesome.....If youre getting that uke autographed for the right reasons, namely for a keepsake rather than monetary value of someones signature then selling shouldnt even be a concern right?

I have a new favorite quote! My hero.

"The ukulele is the thinking man's violin." - Krusty the Clown

Okay, that I find cool.

I think I've just found a very good use for my Republic Concert!

-Kurt​

I think Tommy B's idea of having a uke signed by so many great people is terrific! That's a whole different idea and is truly a collector's item, having met all of them.

And PoiDog, you're absolutely right - my question was never to have it autographed with the intent to sell it. "Odious" is a great word and also odious is "ukulele speculation." :( If it makes you happy, go for it. It's just not for me. The uke I'd have signed is not the one I play the most, and the one I play most, is not the one I want signed. That's all.

This has been interesting. I've appreciated all these points of view.

Top Bottom