PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Palmer tweets about my cover of "The Ukulele Anthem"!

CountryMouse
04-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Eeeee, I am so over-the-moon about this! I wasn't sure where to post this, so mods, if this needs to be moved, please do so.

https://twitter.com/#!/amandapalmer/status/189147674895859715

I didn't know if she'd ever even see my video of her song, much less LIKE it and tweet about it to all her followers! ::faint:: In case you don't know, she so totally GETS it about the power of the ukulele!

Mousie

Freeda
04-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I saw that on my twitter feed and was like HEY I KNOW HER! :)

So cool.

CountryMouse
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
I saw that on my twitter feed and was like HEY I KNOW HER! :)

So cool.

Thank you! :) I was shocked, but so happy! Wow!

Mousie

itsme
04-08-2012, 05:36 PM
And she called you gorgeous. :)

CountryMouse
04-08-2012, 05:39 PM

I know. I'm blushing! :o

Mousie

nix
04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
This is so completely awesome! Congratulations. I'm not as cool as Amanda Palmer but I thoroughly enjoyed your cover too :-)

Nix

CountryMouse
04-08-2012, 05:48 PM
This is so completely awesome! Congratulations. I'm not as cool as Amanda Palmer but I thoroughly enjoyed your cover too :-)

Nix

Thank you so very much! Eeeee!

Mousie

Olarte
04-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Congrats Mousie. That is great news...

connor013
04-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Just watched the cover video -- absolutely wonderful!

You just made my night, Country Mouse.

CountryMouse
04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Congrats Mousie. That is great news...

Just watched the cover video -- absolutely wonderful!

You just made my night, Country Mouse.

Thank you both very much! :)

Mousie

bazmaz
04-09-2012, 12:11 AM
So so so cool! Liked and RT'd!

His Sinfulness
04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
That gives you some hardcore uke street cred... ;)

ukuhippo
04-09-2012, 01:30 AM
:agree:

Are you playing a Hilo in that video?

dkcrown
04-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Congrats Countrymouse. And nice job on the cover too!

Plainsong
04-09-2012, 03:39 AM
You have this very light natural singing voice that makes it sound easy. Great job. :)

SuzukHammer
04-09-2012, 04:40 AM
That was fun to watch.

tigersister
04-09-2012, 04:51 AM
That is incredibly cool. Nice job on the cover.

PoiDog
04-09-2012, 04:54 AM
I have no idea who Amanda Palmer is, but apparently, she is more than just your average kid with a tweeting thing going on.

In any case, regardless of whether Ms Palmer liked you vid, I certainly enjoyed it. But one way or another, a big Hooray to the Mouse for getting noticed and complimented all public-like.

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 05:03 AM
So so so cool! Liked and RT'd!

Thank you so much! :)

That gives you some hardcore uke street cred... ;)

W00t! :D

Mousie

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 05:09 AM
:agree:

Are you playing a Hilo in that video?

Yes! You can see a closeup of the soundhole area at the very end of the video.

I tried to get a Hilo exactly like Amanda's but mine is slightly different--it was hard to find one! Also, I cheated and didn't leave the stock strings on. I have Ko'olau Mahana strings on instead. And a Uke Leash strap--I'm using it as a full strap with one of Lori's strap button adapters. I really have a very hard time playing any ukulele without some kind of strap!

Mousie

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 05:10 AM
Congrats Countrymouse. And nice job on the cover too!

You have this very light natural singing voice that makes it sound easy. Great job. :)

That was fun to watch.

That is incredibly cool. Nice job on the cover.

Thank you all so very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Mousie

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I have no idea who Amanda Palmer is, but apparently, she is more than just your average kid with a tweeting thing going on.

In any case, regardless of whether Ms Palmer liked you vid, I certainly enjoyed it. But one way or another, a big Hooray to the Mouse for getting noticed and complimented all public-like.

Here is how Ms. Palmer describes herself on Twitter: piano-slayer, ukulele-freak, singer, blogger, lover & co-founder of the brechtian punk cabaret duo The Dresden Dolls. Boston/NYC/Melbourne/THE ROAD http://www.amandapalmer.net

She has 540,677 Followers ( ::faint!:: ). She has several albums out, so she's not an unknown. :) SHE wrote "The Ukulele Anthem", so to have the composer/performer of the song notice me was a Big Thing for me. :D

Thank you very much for compliments, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :)

Mousie

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 06:21 AM

I like my voice on this video more:

http://youtu.be/9_4JOPgRgFI

Mousie

Trinimon
04-09-2012, 07:25 AM
That's awesome! Congrats CountryMouse! :)

bazmaz
04-09-2012, 07:43 AM
I'd love to share this on Got A Ukulele if that's ok?

ukuhippo
04-09-2012, 07:56 AM

I see we share an obsession baz, I love the way she sells her radiohead cover album: pay 1$ or whatever you want to spend.

bazmaz
04-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Hippo - I think AFP is a legend. I know she divides opinion, but I'm firmly on the best side of that divide!

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
That's awesome! Congrats CountryMouse! :)

Thanks very much! :)

Mousie

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Which one? "The Ukulele Anthem" or "Follow the Drinking Gourd"? (which I just posted in this thread sort-of tangentially) Or the tweet? Whatever, it's fine with me! Just let me know, so I can go see it! EEEEP! Thank you so much!

Mousie

lambchop
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
One, congratulations on the tweet, and, two, thanks for posting about it as it introduced me to this song. I had not heard it before and it is a pretty amazing tune!

lambchop
04-09-2012, 10:44 AM
By the way, CountryMouse, your voice is amazing!

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
One, congratulations on the tweet, and, two, thanks for posting about it as it introduced me to this song. I had not heard it before and it is a pretty amazing tune!

By the way, CountryMouse, your voice is amazing!

Thank you so much! Yes, "The Ukulele Anthem" *is* amazing! It says so much about the power of the ukulele! :)

Mousie

fitncrafty
04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
That is so awesome!! Yeah for you!!! You must feel like Marcia Brady when Davy Jones kissed her on the cheek after prom!! Wahoo!!!

Love it!! Keep making your awesome music!!

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 11:24 AM
That is so awesome!! Yeah for you!!! You must feel like Marcia Brady when Davy Jones kissed her on the cheek after prom!! Wahoo!!!

Thanks so much! I can imagine! (I never watched The Brady Bunch) :D Oooh, the pressure! Is my music awesome? Can I keep doing it? I'll just make videos. Let's hope they are okay. :p

Mousie

rickkes
04-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I love this song, too. Can't play it nearly as well as you did, though. . .carry on!

Uke Whisperer
04-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Duper!!

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I love this song, too. Can't play it nearly as well as you did, though. . .carry on!

Super Duper!!

Thank you both very much! I couldn't have done it without the lyrics in front of me! How does Amanda Palmer remember all those words?!

Mousie

NatalieS
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
That is so great!!!

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
That is so great!!!

I was so surprised!!!

Mousie

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Amazing version! So cool to be recognized by the songwriter. Of course, here at UU we've all known you're a star since way back.

Patrick Madsen
04-09-2012, 07:20 PM
She's right, you are gorgeous. This made my night also.

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Amazing version! So cool to be recognized by the songwriter. Of course, here at UU we've all known you're a star since way back.

Thank you very much! But... :uhoh: "star"? Um...I'm just a strummer. :p

Mousie

Nickie
Way to go Mousie! You got her attention!

CountryMouse
She's right, you are gorgeous. This made my night also.

Oh eep, I am blushing!

Mousie

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Way to go Mousie! You got her attention!

Thanks! I didn't really think she would actually see it--I just love the lyrics and wanted to do it!

Mousie

Hippie Dribble
04-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Congrats Mousie. Well deserved recognition in my opinion.

And Carrie....YES!!!! I remember that scene vividly. :)

CountryMouse
04-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Congrats Mousie. Well deserved recognition in my opinion.

And Carrie....YES!!!! I remember that scene vividly. :)

Thank you so much! I think about your videos, though, and I think, "Um...eep?" I'm only a strummer. You are an expert musician!

Mousie

bazmaz
04-10-2012, 12:58 AM
It's up on Got A Ukulele here - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/04/ukulele-anthem-cover-gets-attention-of.html

Hope it gets you more views! Am sure it will.

CountryMouse
04-10-2012, 03:33 AM
It's up on Got A Ukulele here - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/04/ukulele-anthem-cover-gets-attention-of.html

Hope it gets you more views! Am sure it will.

OMG, this is so wonderful! Thank you LOTS!!

Mousie

joeybug
04-10-2012, 06:22 AM
Congrats, Mousie! That is an awesome song, and your version is great! I've never heard the song before so nice to hear it with your beautiful voice!

CountryMouse
04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Congrats, Mousie! That is an awesome song, and your version is great! I've never heard the song before so nice to hear it with your beautiful voice!

Thank you so much, Ms. Joey! Aren't the lyrics just wonderful?! It says it all about the ukulele! :)

Mousie

rickkes
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
"I couldn't have done it without the lyrics in front of me! How does Amanda Palmer remember all those words?!"

sometimes she doesn't. . .I've seen one performance video where she had hubby Neil Gaimen (another awesome person, BTW) changing lyric sheets for her.

CountryMouse
04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
"I couldn't have done it without the lyrics in front of me! How does Amanda Palmer remember all those words?!"

sometimes she doesn't. . .I've seen one performance video where she had hubby Neil Gaimen (another awesome person, BTW) changing lyric sheets for her.

Oh, I think that was right after she had written it. Since then I've seen her (on videos, that is) get through the entire thing pretty well at various Occupy sites.

My poor brain... :p

Mousie

ukuhippo
04-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Almost forgot, my gorgeous better half had this to say about that: I can only hope I look half as good as her at that age.

CountryMouse
04-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Almost forgot, my gorgeous better half had this to say about that: I can only hope I look half as good as her at that age.

Eeep, thank you, I mean her! Well, show her some of the other videos, where the light is stronger on my face! :p Of course, I got lucky, genetically, because Mama didn't have many wrinkles either, even into her 80's and 90's!

Mousie

barefootgypsy
04-12-2012, 09:37 PM

NixSame here - your version was the first that I saw, and I hadn't heard of Amanda Palmer, as I told you at the time, and I thought your version was great! I went on to watch hers - I think, good for you, and good for Amanda Palmer too! After all, it spreads the word for her as well as for the ukulele, doesn't it? Think I'll "blog" it......!

CountryMouse
04-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Same here - your version was the first that I saw, and I hadn't heard of Amanda Palmer, as I told you at the time, and I thought your version was great! I went on to watch hers - I think, good for you, and good for Amanda Palmer too! After all, it spreads the word for her as well as for the ukulele, doesn't it? Think I'll "blog" it......!

Thank you so much and especially thank you for the blog entry! Amanda Palmer got into playing the ukulele because she (too) thought it would be a kind of joke, but found her audience loved it! So she made an entire album of Radiohead covers done on ukulele! And she continues to play and promote the ukulele. :)

http://youtu.be/6sSwz5y2dx0

Mousie

sukie
04-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Congrats! How fun is this? Awesome.

CountryMouse
04-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Congrats! How fun is this? Awesome.

Thanks! I was just amazed! :)

Mousie