Low G on a concert

kbublaird

Reaction score
Do you guys think a low G set would sound any good on a Lanikai LU-21CE/BK concert? I have a nice pono tenor but I'm keeping traditional tuning on it and was wondering if the low g would sound at all decent on my concert.

Aloha,
Only way to tell is for you to try it. I have low g Koolau Alohis on my Mango Concert and it sounds very close to a tenor bodied uke, only not as loud. Good luck...............................BO.............................

I've had low G on concerts and sopranos, but think that it sounds best on a tenor.
It will sound fine on a concert, but concerts sound best to me in standard re- entrant tuning.

The Doc_J has experienced the same as me. Low G on my tenor and re-entrant on my concert. Your own ears will dictate your final choices.

I have a Fremont Clear low G string on my concert (tenors are too big for me), and it sounds great in my ears but some people say low G doesn't sound quite right on their concert because the body isn't big enough to make the lower notes sound properly.
If you already have the uke then just try it on and put the old string back on if you don't like it. There's a very good Uke's Minutes video on how to change strings, it's quite easy to do.

I bought my CK-38 Ohana for use with a low G. It sounds fantasic!
I have a Worth Clear low G and Martins on the other strings.

I had an extra wound low G string so I tried it out on my Kiwaya longneck soprano. I kind of like it but I think it would be better on a concert. It definitely has a different character than the same string on a tenor, though.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with the flow here, but the only way to know if it sounds good to you is to try it. Personally I prefer the low g sound on the larger bodied instruments, I have them on one of my tenors and one baritone. The smaller body just doesn't seem to do the bass notes justice to me. But that's one thing I love about ukes, the strings are cheap and easy to change so you can try a lot of different sounds.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Unfortunately, my concert is in Tucson and I'm in Flagstaff until the eleventh of May, but when I get back I'll certainly give it a try and let everyone know how it sounds.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Unfortunately, my concert is in Tucson and I'm in Flagstaff until the eleventh of May, but when I get back I'll certainly give it a try and let everyone know how it sounds.

kbublaird - nice to see someone on the boards from Arizona! If you happen to travel from Flag to Tucson on a Tuesday, make sure to drop by the ukulele group at Sam Ash on 43rd Ave and Cactus as you pass through Phoenix.

I have low G Worth strings on 2 of my concerts (a Luna dolphin and an Ohana CK75G) and really like the sound. I think their bodies handle the lower notes just fine though I noticed that if you have any kind of a buzz the low G will accent that buzz.

Good luck!

Nix

I have a low G on my Kanile'a Islander concert. I think it sounds great! I would not put it on a soprano.

I've got low G's on my Ohana 50G concert and it sounds great. Though, this particular uke has less internal bracing then most so I think it resonates better. With concert ukes with more bracing, I think the lower notes don't sound as big and full.

I tried it on one concert and while it was okay,
I prefer my low G sound on a tenor!

I have the new Aquila non-wound Low G on my OS concert and I think it sounds great! The only reason I didn't put a tenor one on my Ohana was because I'm in the process of learning a tune on it which needs re-entrant tuning and i dont think I'll be able to play it on a smaller scale uke (difficult tune meets thick stubby fingers lol) If anyone is interested in knowing more about the new Aquila unwound low G, I believe there's a thread on it where others who received strings gave their views on them or alternatively feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to answer anything.

Top Bottom