any suggestions for a broken strumming hand?

kaizersoza

Reaction score
i broke a couple of knuckles on friday night, lets just say i fell over, can anyone suggest ways for me to play my uke until i get the cast off, the funnier the better coz i need cheering up big time, thanx in advance kaizer ;)

Oh no! Sorry to hear that! People's faces tend to be very hard on the knuckles when your fist falls over them don't they... ;)
Have you tried strumming with your cast or with your closed fist? Think of it as a huge plectrum!

Make a small slice in the cast and glue a plectrum in.

And how bad does the other guy have it?

I suggest you shove a chopstick through your cast and move your uke up and down against it.

I fell on Friday and bruised my strumming hand nuckles. Luckily I caught myself with my face! I look terrible but I can still strum! Still...I wouldn't reccommend catching yourself with your face next time! People keep asking what the other guy looks like. I just say she's fine, I would never hit a woman!

Perfect opportunity to run scales with left hand only.

I fell on Friday and bruised my strumming hand nuckles. Luckily I caught myself with my face! I look terrible but I can still strum! Still...I wouldn't reccommend catching yourself with your face next time! People keep asking what the other guy looks like. I just say she's fine, I would never hit a woman!

LOL. OUr 18-month old daughter likes to climb on things and jump, thus developing the occasional bruise and mark.

Everytime someone remarks that she has a bruise or mark we just say, "You should see the other baby!"

"My face....I don't mind it,
'cause I am behind it,
'Tis the people out there,
Get the scare."
I am so sorry about your knuckles but the tip about scale memorization with the left hand is a good one.

Kaizer.. We need a pic to asses the damage and make an assessment of your remaining dexterity.
Expect 2-4 days for a solution to be thought up by us all. (Such a large organization as UU needs some time to get the momentum going.. )
For now may I suggest a thumb pick if at all possible?

No good ideas, just commiserations. I've had both hands in braces for a couple of weeks and it's driving me nuts! I haven't played or even picked up a uke or guitar much. And it looks like there may be surgery coming up soon which will put me out of commission for even longer.

I broke a bone in my strumming hand awhile back and had a cast but had use of my thumb so I
was able to strum with my thumb. I had to hold my uke vertically to make it work and it seemed
to put a smile on peoples' faces when I played with them.

Otherwise, lots of chord-forming work for you : )

keep uke'in',

some really great ideas here folks, really liked the plectrum one still giggling now, thanx for cheering me up you guys, will post a pic later

forget your right hand !!
nice time to practice n master the world famous hammer on - pull off

try playing single line melodies with your left hand only, use Hammers n pull off only !!!!

Well...I'm afraid I don't have much advice to offer regarding strumming with a cast but for future reference I will note that a quick jab to the throat is more likely to take the fight out of the other guy with less risk of damage to your hand...some people have really hard jaws...also, you can pick up nasty infections if their teeth happen to cut your hand...just sayin... :)

John

If you can hold the ukulele you might try Jim D'Ville's playing by ear.
I've tried, but I keep knocking my glasses off.

Ok, let's think about this........

If you "fell" on your right hand - then practice the aforementioned hammer-on/pull-offs....always such fun.

If however, you "fell" on your left hand then put your uke in an open tuning and practice with barre chords like a guitar - you could use the cast as the barre.....maybe......

Get well soon....;)

What's the problem?? You still have two perfectly good feet don't you?

Top Bottom