PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions for a broken strumming hand?

kaizersoza
04-09-2012, 03:26 AM
i broke a couple of knuckles on friday night, lets just say i fell over, can anyone suggest ways for me to play my uke until i get the cast off, the funnier the better coz i need cheering up big time, thanx in advance kaizer ;)

Lalz
04-09-2012, 03:30 AM
Oh no! Sorry to hear that! People's faces tend to be very hard on the knuckles when your fist falls over them don't they... ;)
Have you tried strumming with your cast or with your closed fist? Think of it as a huge plectrum!

ukuhippo
04-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Make a small slice in the cast and glue a plectrum in.

pootsie
04-09-2012, 03:33 AM
And how bad does the other guy have it?

I suggest you shove a chopstick through your cast and move your uke up and down against it.

flyingv8
04-09-2012, 03:52 AM
I fell on Friday and bruised my strumming hand nuckles. Luckily I caught myself with my face! I look terrible but I can still strum! Still...I wouldn't reccommend catching yourself with your face next time! People keep asking what the other guy looks like. I just say she's fine, I would never hit a woman!

stmace
04-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Perfect opportunity to run scales with left hand only.

pootsie
04-09-2012, 04:19 AM
I fell on Friday and bruised my strumming hand nuckles. Luckily I caught myself with my face! I look terrible but I can still strum! Still...I wouldn't reccommend catching yourself with your face next time! People keep asking what the other guy looks like. I just say she's fine, I would never hit a woman!

LOL. OUr 18-month old daughter likes to climb on things and jump, thus developing the occasional bruise and mark.

Everytime someone remarks that she has a bruise or mark we just say, "You should see the other baby!"

1931jim
04-09-2012, 04:52 AM
"My face....I don't mind it,
'cause I am behind it,
'Tis the people out there,
Get the scare."
I am so sorry about your knuckles but the tip about scale memorization with the left hand is a good one.

tjomball
04-09-2012, 04:58 AM
Kaizer.. We need a pic to asses the damage and make an assessment of your remaining dexterity.
Expect 2-4 days for a solution to be thought up by us all. (Such a large organization as UU needs some time to get the momentum going.. )
For now may I suggest a thumb pick if at all possible?

Plainsong
04-09-2012, 05:05 AM
I don't know about strumming, but your chunking is going to be mighty. :)

kenikas
04-09-2012, 05:22 AM
No good ideas, just commiserations. I've had both hands in braces for a couple of weeks and it's driving me nuts! I haven't played or even picked up a uke or guitar much. And it looks like there may be surgery coming up soon which will put me out of commission for even longer.

UkuEroll
04-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Make a small slice in the cast and glue a plectrum in.
You beat me to it!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
04-09-2012, 05:50 AM
I broke a bone in my strumming hand awhile back and had a cast but had use of my thumb so I
was able to strum with my thumb. I had to hold my uke vertically to make it work and it seemed
to put a smile on peoples' faces when I played with them.

Otherwise, lots of chord-forming work for you : )

keep uke'in',

kaizersoza
04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
some really great ideas here folks, really liked the plectrum one still giggling now, thanx for cheering me up you guys, will post a pic later

Ukuleleblues
04-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Make the guy you punched strumm for you :)

patico
04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
forget your right hand !!
nice time to practice n master the world famous hammer on - pull off

try playing single line melodies with your left hand only, use Hammers n pull off only !!!!

OldePhart
04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Well...I'm afraid I don't have much advice to offer regarding strumming with a cast but for future reference I will note that a quick jab to the throat is more likely to take the fight out of the other guy with less risk of damage to your hand...some people have really hard jaws...also, you can pick up nasty infections if their teeth happen to cut your hand...just sayin... :)

John

SailingUke
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
If you can hold the ukulele you might try Jim D'Ville's playing by ear.
I've tried, but I keep knocking my glasses off.

BigSkyUkuleleGirl
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Ok, let's think about this........

If you "fell" on your right hand - then practice the aforementioned hammer-on/pull-offs....always such fun.

If however, you "fell" on your left hand then put your uke in an open tuning and practice with barre chords like a guitar - you could use the cast as the barre.....maybe......

Get well soon....;)

markallen
04-11-2012, 05:11 AM
What's the problem?? You still have two perfectly good feet don't you?

coolkayaker1
04-11-2012, 05:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ole97tqy4Q8

grandpoobah
04-11-2012, 06:10 AM
time to work on your kazoo solos.

considered the slide whistle?

OldePhart
04-11-2012, 08:11 AM
What's the problem?? You still have two perfectly good feet don't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI3EE9uuBCU

mds725
04-11-2012, 08:23 AM
So sorry to hear about your injury. I broke the tip of the middle finger of my strumming hand last autumn. I was strumming with my index finger but couldn't curl my broken middle finger into my hand. I learned to strum with my thumb. It was awkward at first -- it takes the brain a while to rewire -- but now I'm actually more adept strumming with my thumb than with my index finger. I'm actually having a little difficulty switching back!

One observation and a recommendation. The observation - when you break a bone in your hand, the trauma that caused the break typically causes damage to surrouding tissue. In my case, my accident resulted in jamming both of the joints in my finger, and my rehabilitation emphasis had to be on just getting my finger to bend again. (It's better now, but still less flexible than my other fingers). This may not matter for ordinary hand tasks, but it could affect your ability to strum, fingerpick, etc. The recommendation - when your knuckles have healed, insist on prhysical hand therapy and tell your PT that you are a musician. People tend to fix things like broken hand bones "adequately," but that may not be good enough for strumming. My PT understood that I wanted to get my hand back to a high level of performance once I told her I was a musician (and a cartoonist/artist) and needed the full use of my finger.

TheCraftedCow
04-11-2012, 08:28 AM
When one is dumped upon with a load of manure, some see an opportunity to plant an enriched garden. Here is an opportunity to lay the thing across your lap after tuning it either GCEG [DGBD] or FCFA [CGCE] and try strumming with the uncasted hand. An object rubberbanded to the bottom of the cast will mean you don't even need to learn how to hold a steel bar (even if you could) and you can experience the world of slack key slide ukulele. Adapt- Overcome- Drive On ! Enjoy an opportunity which you would not normally choose for grins and giggles. Make it a time of thanksgiving. Thank God it is not a permanent condition. Heal quickly!!

OldePhart
04-11-2012, 08:40 AM
When one is dumped upon with a load of manure, some see an opportunity to plant an enriched garden. Here is an opportunity to lay the thing across your lap after tuning it either GCEG [DGBD] or FCFA [CGCE] and try strumming with the uncasted hand. An object rubberbanded to the bottom of the cast will mean you don't even need to learn how to hold a steel bar (even if you could) and you can experience the world of slack key slide ukulele. Adapt- Overcome- Drive On ! Enjoy an opportunity which you would not normally choose for grins and giggles. Make it a time of thanksgiving. Thank God it is not a permanent condition. Heal quickly!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CeDell_Davis

ksiegel
04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Just a couple of other examples or one-handed guitar players... Not really what I'd choose to listen to, but they show what comes from hard work and perseverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veh4uXqueJo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMKSWZbSLrM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjjkdaPNnzY&

And for the record, I hate every single one of these people, who have (ahem) more talent in their lack of finger than I have in my whole body...

-Kurt