Ukulele Trading

strumsilly

Reaction score
Thinking about a trade, and the other party asked how we would do it. I have only bought or sold, and with paypal it's pretty safe. I really have not had any problems. but how would a trade work. If the person has been around awhile I'd still feel pretty safe. But what if it's a new person?

I did a trade and we just trusted one another to send the uke. The uke I was sending was of greater value so I also received a check in the box with the uke. It is risky I suppose. I did a trade with someone I had already done business with. I have had 100% positive experience with a half a dozen transactions I have done on UU. That was kind of a no answer wasn't it? Sorry. I wonder if you could give references to each other. Maybe some mutual acquaintances on UU to give a reference. If they are new to UU using your instincts and trusting the honor system is about all you have, or don't do the transaction if you can't get a reference.

If they are new and you aren't then they should send first. In fact, they should offer to send first and trust the established member not to want to ruin their reputation on here by not going through with the deal/ taking the uke and running. Ive done this on other forums many times when I was new and never had a problem you just have to use your best judgement.

Strumsilly,

As the other participant in Roxanne's trade anecdote, I will admit I was sorely tempted to take her Black Bear over the border, never to be seen again -- kidding, of course. But here's the thing: even after a few posts I knew this forum had lots and lots of good people participating. They made me eager to learn and, eventually, eager to participate. I trust them, and I hope they trust me.

So my logic works like this: I would implicitly trust another member of UU unless he or she gave me a reason not to. If that member is new, I'd probably send a few messages to get a sense of who he or she is. Or better yet, I'd voice my concern directly and talk it through.

Hope this helps.

I traded in January and we just trusted one another. I looked at his post history before I agreed the trade, mainly because I was curious if he had any bad experiences with the uke in question. Mainly, though, I would never trade with someone who is very new to the board or gives a PO Box address. That's just me, though.

I've never engaged in a trade, but not because I'm ascared - just because I don't have spare ukes to do so.

However, if I ever do engage in a trade the biggest rule of thumb I'd follow is the one Roxhum & Couloriman mentioned: Check to see if it is a very recent member or not. Odds are if they've been an active part of UU for 6 months or so, they're likely a decent, trustworthy person. Some n00b who joined a week ago and has their first post being a trade offer would be a bigger risk. Not saying they wouldn't be sincere, just a bigger risk.

When in doubt, listen to that little voice you got. If it's screaming that you're a class-A nitwit to do something, it's probably correct.

Not to scare anyone, but I had a very close call with an established UUer. It was a purchase, not a trade...but just because someone has been a member of the forum for years and has substantial post count doesn't mean they are an outstanding human being. It took threatening to contact paypal to get a tracking number a month and a half after the payment was sent.

That said, I had a lovely trade with another UUer very recently. I had transactions and correspondence with them prior to the trade though, so I knew they were good people.

So, I will just echo what other's have said. Trust your instincts, and be cautious. :)

I've done many trades before for equipment, mostly for guitars on thegearpage.net. Almost all have gone great. Most people on these sites are here because they too love the instruments and the excitement of getting and trying something new. I always decide with the person what mode of shipping we can agree on and both ship the same day. If there is cash involved to offset value i usually ask that to be taken care of right away through paypal. If the address is fishy or the person seems fishy i would just say you'd rather not. If possible talk to the person over the phone. Get lots of pics and agree on some deal for returns if there is an issue. Like i said ive always used trades and have allot of fun with them.

I have done one trade with another long time member of the UU and we both trusted each other implicitly. His uke arrived first and was everything he said it would be. Unfortunately mine arrived with the finish damaged due to extremely cold temps in his area. But as I had said, I did insure it for the full value of the uke and in the end after dealing with UPS for a while, it all worked out. It wasn't UPS' fault, it was just an unfortunate circumstance.

I have done one trade with another long time member of the UU and we both trusted each other implicitly. His uke arrived first and was everything he said it would be. Unfortunately mine arrived with the finish damaged due to extremely cold temps in his area. But as I had said, I did insure it for the full value of the uke and in the end after dealing with UPS for a while, it all worked out. It wasn't UPS' fault, it was just an unfortunate circumstance.
Yes it was. I knew it had nothing to do with Dana or UPS. The temperature dropped unexpectedly like 40 degrees. I think we sent two emails back and forth before my uke was in the mail ( i was struggling with trading the Kamaka:)) It is a trust thing. Dana was the third trade I did here on UU. I have never had a bad experience but I have denied trade requests as well as purchase requests. If I remember correctly we both offered a trade back policy if the ukes weren't acceptable?

My first transaction here was a trade involving three instruments and two counties! It went without a hitch. The keys are communication and complete honesty as far as the condition and issues. But, like George Harrison, I naturally like other uke players and assume the best. I've even shipped ukes before receiving payment (in the days before Paypal), and I've never been burned. But I probably won't make a habit of doing that :)

I'm going through with the trade. the other party has very few posts, and he agreed to ship 1st. the fact that he agreed to do that certainly makes me think all will go well. thanks to all for your input. my 1st trade, maybe not my last. I still have a few extra instruments.

Never trade what you can't afford to lose. No Kanilea trades, just kala's etc...

Trading is with caution. But, buying is even more scary.

There's been a couple times--one uke on here now--that I considered buying a higher end ukulele from a UUer. But, seriously, even with an experienced UU menber, am I really going to Paypal someone a couple thousand bucks?

eBay, for al its eVilbay rep, at least has Paypal Buyer and Seller protection, and has reimbursed buyers when things are not right. On UU, it's pretty much seat of your pants stuff.

BTW< I have a uke trade underway right now with Uke4Life on UU. I've never met Phil, but he sounds like an up and up guy, a real gentleman. I shipped out my uke on Monday, and he shippe dhis out on Monday. Yeah, like two days ago.

So, I suppose we;ll see how uke trading goes. If I get a giant box of confetti and a note that says, "Sucker!", I'll let you all know.

(Phil, I have faith in you, man.)

Trading is with caution. But, buying is even more scary.

There's been a couple times--one uke on here now--that I considered buying a higher end ukulele from a UUer. But, seriously, even with an experienced UU menber, am I really going to Paypal someone a couple thousand bucks?

eBay, for al its eVilbay rep, at least has Paypal Buyer and Seller protection, and has reimbursed buyers when things are not right. On UU, it's pretty much seat of your pants stuff.
paypal is pretty safe, no matter wherew you buy. they will be happy to reverse the charge and keep your money for long periods as things get sorted out, but all issues I have ever had have been resolved. it only works if you don't gift the money. no fees to seller, but buyer is on their own. I have even done that a few times when I really trusted the seller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom