Proper strings for Guitalele

hellosen

Reaction score
Hi everyone! this is my first post here in ukulele underground. I'm trying to find the best strings for my guitalele. I've tried using D'Addario EJ30 Classic Rectified Nylon Normal Tension but the 1st string snaps after 2 days. So i replaced them with the same D'Addario set because i like how it sounds and maybe i just got a bad batch of strings. I'm on Open A tuning (capo on 4th fret in a regular guitar, i think). I noticed that the 1st string on the upper part of the nut seems to have a scratch or is it breaking because of the tension? I'm not really sure if I'm using the proper strings for this guitar. Can anyone give me any ideas?

I like a warm and mellow sounding string. It sound so good for my guitalele :)

Sounds like you may have a sharp edge on the first string groove H. I suggest you take a piece of sandpaper or emory board and take a couple of licks to take off the edge a bit. Then use the lead of a pencil and rub some graphite in the groove. It helps bigtime. It won't take much so don't over do it.

Welcome, This is a really great site. Lot's of wonderful caring people here who will offer much needed advice about anything Uke.

I have the EJ45s on mine, which are also normal tension, and have not had the same problem. As Patrick suggested, look for a sharp edge that may be cutting into the string.

I just put some D'addario high tension (i think extra high tension?) on my GL1 Guialele and they sound and feel amazing. Since the scale is only 17 inches I went with the highest tension available. I have no other experience with classical strings but I've had great experiences with D'addario with electric guitar strings so I went with them.

I heard the Martins have better sustain, which would be great for the short scale as well so I'll have to try those next. The sound of the high tension D'addarios is honestly perfect though.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a sharp edge on the first string groove H. I suggest you take a piece of sandpaper or emory board and take a couple of licks to take off the edge a bit. Then use the lead of a pencil and rub some graphite in the groove. It helps bigtime. It won't take much so don't over do it.

Welcome, This is a really great site. Lot's of wonderful caring people here who will offer much needed advice about anything Uke.

hmm, I'm gonna take a look at it when i get home. Yeah, really great site here, nice web layout too! Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom