PDA

View Full Version : Best website to purchase a Ko'aloha concert?

frankiefirefox
04-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Aloha ya'll,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new ko'aloha concert. I live in Maine, about 300 miles from the nearest authorized dealer. Any suggestions as to which suit will offer the best deal/set up? I'm also in contact with Ko'aloha.

Thanks!

bynapkinart
04-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Where in Maine? I used to live in Mass., and I can tell you that if you're within 300 miles of Boston it's well worth your weekend to drive down to Boston and check out the Music Emporium. I lived about 100 miles west and used to drive in early on a morning, go to the Emporium for a few hours to gawk, go downtown to the market and end the day at the Garden or Fenway. The Emporium is the best music store for acoustic instruments on the east coast, I kid you not.

They deal all the K's unless I'm mistaken, and that would allow you to actually strum each one and see which you like the most.

If you don't want to go, KoAloha is very consistent with their quality and you can be sure to get a good one from anywhere that sells them. For my money, and a little gas money, I would absolutely take a weekend and go to the Emporium.

Good luck!

frankiefirefox
04-10-2012, 05:19 AM
I'm up in waterville. The closest one I could find was in Mansfield. thanks for the info! Looks like I have an excuse to catch a sox game!

bynapkinart
04-10-2012, 05:32 AM
No problem! I just checked, actually, and it looks like Emporium has Kamaka, Kanilea, and Ko'olau, but no KoAloha. You could check out the place in Mansfield on the way, to get a feel for the KoAloha! Emporium has those K's and Martin, Collings, Pono, LoPrinzi, Moore Bettah, Scott Wise...basically, if you go to Boston looking for ukuleles, it's the place to go. I wish I could go, but I'm 1300 miles away these days...and there's nothing even remotely like that in St. Louis or Kansas City.

chrimess
04-10-2012, 05:36 AM
if you are OK with a factory second, the good people at Koaloha will also sell these direct.

chrimess
04-10-2012, 05:42 AM
then again, you have Boat Paddle ukes right at your doorstep.

No problem! I just checked, actually, and it looks like Emporium has Kamaka, Kanilea, and Ko'olau, but no KoAloha. You could check out the place in Mansfield on the way, to get a feel for the KoAloha! Emporium has those K's and Martin, Collings, Pono, LoPrinzi, Moore Bettah, Scott Wise...basically, if you go to Boston looking for ukuleles, it's the place to go. I wish I could go, but I'm 1300 miles away these days...and there's nothing even remotely like that in St. Louis or Kansas City.

ksiegel
04-10-2012, 05:42 AM
And if you need to buy without playing first, check out Ukulele Source in San Jose, CA. Smiley and Janet are wonderful people, the prices are a little lower than list, and the packing/shipping was very secure, and reasonably priced. http://www.ukulelesource.com/

The web site doesn't show what they have in stock, but it gives a phone number, and they will be happy to talk to you, play the instrument over the phone, and help you pick one out.

Good Luck!

-Kurt

coolkayaker1
04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
if you are OK with a factory second, the good people at Koaloha will also sell these direct.

And if they don;t treat you right on the phone when you call them, Koaloha will give you a ukulele for free. (referring to recent thread)

Seriously, if it was me, unless I was saving a couple hundred bucks, I'd never buy a second to save fifty or a hundred bucks. Why? You will always have to justify why it's a second when you sell it someday. And, we all think we'll never sell anything, but most of us eventually do. Even if there's nothing "wrong" with it, everyone knows about the black dot on the label and will be p.o.'ed if you sold it and didn;t mention that.

Just a thought. I like Andrew and MGM at Hawaiian Music Supply, personally.

Driving 600 miles round trip at four bucks a gallon and staying overnight in Boston, even though I love the town having lived there for 8 years, is quite a chore. Gas money, possible hotel, and sales tax will be hard to recoup with a tax-free online sale from a reputable company that has a return policy that is reasonable (like HMS, Elderly Music and a few others).

chrimess
04-10-2012, 07:24 AM
A Koaloha is for life, so who cares about the dot?

And if they don;t treat you right on the phone when you call them, Koaloha will give you a ukulele for free. (referring to recent thread)

Seriously, if it was me, unless I was saving a couple hundred bucks, I'd never buy a second to save fifty or a hundred bucks. Why? You will always have to justify why it's a second when you sell it someday. And, we all think we'll never sell anything, but most of us eventually do. Even if there's nothing "wrong" with it, everyone knows about the black dot on the label and will be p.o.'ed if you sold it and didn;t mention that.

Just a thought. I like Andrew and MGM at Hawaiian Music Supply, personally.

Driving 600 miles round trip at four bucks a gallon and staying overnight in Boston, even though I love the town having lived there for 8 years, is quite a chore. Gas money, possible hotel, and sales tax will be hard to recoup with a tax-free online sale from a reputable company that has a return policy that is reasonable (like HMS, Elderly Music and a few others).

frankiefirefox
04-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Unless I happen to be in Boston, I'm not going to make a special trip. HMS looks great! Thanks for the suggestion!

lancemanion
04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
I would go with http://www.theukulelesite.com/ It is run by Music Guy Mic and Hawaii Music Supply on the North Shore of Oahu. I have delt with both of them before and they are experts in setting up ukes. They are really stand up guys.

frankiefirefox
04-10-2012, 08:03 AM
as for the "dot", I'm going to wait to hear from Ko'aloha before making any decisions.

coolkayaker1
04-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Unless I happen to be in Boston, I'm not going to make a special trip. HMS looks great! Thanks for the suggestion!

If you want to talk to HMS, FF, call them on the phone, no email, and ask to speak with Andrew Kitakis, the owner. He's a wonderful human being who is at the store all the time, and has no issues with speaking with you and will give you advice. I did it for my Pono (that should be here, oh, about tomorrow!) and he was a gem.

Here's a video with Andrew...who now is in Haleiwa (North Shore, baby) and specializes in ukes.... again owner of Hawaiian Music Supply.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJr9Tr7EkNk

The guy interviewing him is a complete tool, by the way.

imabuddha
04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
If you want to talk to HMS, FF, call them on the phone, no email, and ask to speak with Andrew Katakis, the owner. He's a wonderful human being who is at the store all the time, and has no issues with speaking with you and will give you advice. I did it for my Pono (that should be here, oh, about tomorrow!) and he was a gem.

I agree completely with the above & the others who recommend HMS. Andrew was very helpful when I was deciding which uke to buy, and the setup, packing, & shipment were all great. I also like supporting them since they make interesting & useful videos.

Lideruke
04-10-2012, 09:06 AM
I ordered a concert through Cymbalism, $702 retail, and additional 5% off. They sell on ebay as well, for $699 (no add'l discount). It arrives tomorrow. :drool:

ukulelepuapua
04-10-2012, 09:19 AM
I would be happy to assist in whatever way I can ordering from us or not!

-Sean

frankiefirefox
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
So the black dot special is 545. HMS has one with a hard case for 750. thoughts?

Tigeralum2001
04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
So the black dot special is 545. HMS has one with a hard case for 750. thoughts?

If this is your option, I would go $545 without a second thought. A factory second from KoAloha is typically a very minor issue. The worst case I have heard was a position marker on the 13th fret instead of the 12th.

bynapkinart
04-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Personally I would probably go with HMS. They have the hard case, setup with whatever strings you want, free humidifier, and free shipping because it's a Hawaiian made ukulele. Plus those guys are absolutely spectacular people.

A factory second, even from KoAloha, is still a factory second. I personally wouldn't mind if it was a second as long as it was new, but if I'm going to go out and buy a new instrument I'd want it perfectly setup and finished.

That's me, though. HMS is killer value if you're buying Hawaiian.

erivel
04-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I just received a KoAloha tenor factory second from MGM through HMS. It sounds and plays fantastic! A few cosmetic issues that aren't that noticeable. I don't have a black dot, instead it's a black slash on the corner of the inside label. Since I bought it new through HMS I still get the factory warranty. So it's all good. I was on a strict budget, so when it showed up in the marketplace I jumped on it. I've traded for a used KoAloha soprano and bought a new KoAloha tenor in the past. This is my first factory second and I have no regrets.

HMS is a great place to deal with, I highly recommend them!

Kayak Jim
04-11-2012, 02:15 AM
When purchasing a factory second do they tell you what the minor defect(s) are in advance or do you just see what shows up? I'm not sure I'd want one with the fret marker misplaced even if it was way up at the 12th.

Interesting too that seconds are available through HMS.

erivel
04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
When purchasing a factory second do they tell you what the minor defect(s) are in advance or do you just see what shows up? I'm not sure I'd want one with the fret marker misplaced even if it was way up at the 12th.

Interesting too that seconds are available through HMS.

I didn't know you could get them through dealers too. Since I got it through MGM he was able to tell me what the defect was. I'm sure if you buy direct from KoAloha they could tell you as well.

frankiefirefox
04-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Aloha ya'll.
I pulled the trigger on a ko'aloha concert and an elderly tweed case yesterday. I really appreciate all the info and advice received over the last several days. I want to single coolkayaker out. Steve, I truly appreciate your selfless advice. You are a prime example of why the UU is such a special place. I will post pics as soon as I receive it. Can't wait!
Cheers!

coolkayaker1
04-12-2012, 07:18 AM
You bet, FFF. Looking forward to the photos, friend.

Aloha ya'll.
I pulled the trigger on a ko'aloha concert and an elderly tweed case yesterday. I really appreciate all the info and advice received over the last several days. I want to single coolkayaker out. Steve, I truly appreciate your selfless advice. You are a prime example of why the UU is such a special place. I will post pics as soon as I receive it. Can't wait!
Cheers!

mds725
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Aloha ya'll.
Cheers!

Congratulations! You didn't say where you bought it, but since you thanked Steve and his advice was to talk to HMS, I'm assuming you got it there. Did you get a factory second through them or was it a new one? Details of the purchase, please! :)

hibiscus
04-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Congratulations! I just ordered one from Scott from Cymbalism Music and he was a dream to work with! He orders them straight from the factory, and I asked that mine have a lower action. The price was great!. I have had wonderful dealings with all my uke sellers.

frankiefirefox
04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Congratulations! I just ordered one from Scott from Cymbalism Music and he was a dream to work with! He orders them straight from the factory, and I asked that mine have a lower action. The price was great!. I have had wonderful dealings with all my uke sellers.

I actually ordered mine from cymbalism as well. Scott immediately inquired as to what I was planning on storing it in. What are the benefits of a lower action?

hibiscus
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I have arthritis, and I think the lower action makes the uke easier to play. I think the regular action is just fine for most players and might play a little louder? In effect, I don't have to press down so far to play. I don't strum at all. I'm sure you will be thrilled!

frankiefirefox
04-12-2012, 10:48 AM
with the exception of wrapped aluminum strings (which I loathe) I haven't had much of an issue with buzzing on any of my ukes. So it would seem that I probably dont need to lower the action.

paeataa
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Congrats to both of you on your new KoAloha!! :)

Peter562
04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I have to agree with Frankiefoxx and hibiscus...Scott from Cymbalism has got it down. A pleasure to deal with! I'm going to Maui in two weeks from today and I wanted to pick up a high quality Uke. After doing my research I decided to go with the Ko'Aloha KTM-00 tenor. After emailing several of the Uke shops in Maui I got nothing but bad news from all of them telling me that they did not currently have the tenor in stock and did not know if they'd have it by the time I was down there. Then I heard back from Scott (who replied promptly), I guess they do not have an actual shop and are just an online based company. He orders directly from Ko'Aloha and because of that he has the best prices around, and he is currently giving an extra 5% discount on Ko'Aloha's and free shipping and you don't have to pay taxes. He was even able to arrange for my Uke to be shipped to the hotel I'm staying at so I can enjoy it for my stay and bring it back home with me safely :D

frankiefirefox
04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
I just heard from scott today. My concert will be here in less than a week. I'm positively giddy!