Hibiscus Soundhole Fluke

nix

Reaction score
My favorite ukulele is a lagoon concert Flea (the one in my profile pic). Since I've had it, I've been considering getting a Fluke. I just discovered that they have a new Fluke with a hibiscus-shaped soundhole. You can see it here:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=280

Do you think the shape of the soundhole will effect the sound? Is it just a cosmetic thing that will have no effect on the way the instrument sounds? I've emailed Flea Market Music with some of my questions but thought I would post here while I'm waiting for a reply.

Thanks,

Nix

Aloha Nix,
Call them and hear for yourself..let them play it for you side by side a regular fluke...
then choose...we all have different preferences..maybe with you too...Good Luck..

I seriously doubt it would affect the sound in any "meaningful" way.

Not gonna affect the sound at all. It will sound just fine, and look snazzy.

I've got Peghed tuners on my Fluke - I think they are worth it, but your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

-Kurt​

Omg that is so cute.

That sure is purdy! :)

I'm with Kurt. Shouldn't affect the sound at all. In fact, if you look at lutes, most of them have an elaborate carved soundhole that obscures way more than this.

Even though it's a laminate top, I would recommend not using one of those uke thongs that hook into the soundhole lest it damage any of the delicate cut edgings.

Go for it! That is gorgeous! I say pull the trigger!

Not gonna affect the sound at all. It will sound just fine, and look snazzy.

I've got Peghed tuners on my Fluke - I think they are worth it, but your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

-Kurt​

Kurt - I sprung for the Peghed tuners on my Flea and I adore them. It seems tedious to tune ukes with more usual geared tuners now. Thanks for the advice :)

Nix

Big thanks to everyone for letting me know that the sound probably won't be influenced by the shape of the soundhole. It hadn't occurred to me to call them and ask to listen to one. That's a great idea.

This model comes standard with the rosewood fretboard but I'm wondering if it would be possible to get one with a walnut fretboard to go with all the other walnut on the uke. It seems to me like walnut would be hard enough. I asked in my email but I may just call them up tomorrow.

Much Appreciation!

Nix

If you do go for it, I highly recommend the pegheds upgrade. I got them on my Surf Fluke, and am So glad I did.

Glad to see they are using their new laser to do cool stuff like that. I have heard you can have them do custom shaped soundholes and engravings too.

Top Bottom