C string troubles

McSnifferson

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My first time posting here do please excuse me for any silly questions.

I've never played an instrument, learnt an instrument or even been good at attempting to play an instrument, however I made a promise to myself to do something different, make the change and do it. I picked the Ukulele.

So far, it's great fun, I am learning from Ukulele for dummies book.

I do have a question though.

On my LAG U44C, I am finding that my C string seems to be the loudest of the lot, almost buzzing. I have checked the height of tall strings and they all seems to be the same height, it could be the way I strum (and I hope it is, I'm quite heavy handed) but the C string seems to buzz and it's the last note I hear when I strum. Is this normal, or should I go back to the music store???

Your thoughts would always be welcome!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post!

Is your C string a wound one? Has it gor metal windings around
it? Or is it a plain flourocarbon or nylon string? Need more info!

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

The Uke's spec is:

Concert Ukulele

Laminate mahogany top, back and sides.
Arched back.
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge.
Tribal design inlaid soundhole rosette.
Natural french satin.
Aquila strings.

http://uk.lookat.com/music/lag-u44c-ukelele/

Hope this answers your question.

I was checking the height of the strings at the head of the Uke, all strings look quite close to the first fret, so i'm wondering, would it be down to the C string being the loosest and potentially being impacted by the first fret? Although none of the other strings are producing an as noticable noise.

As i said, it could be my strumming style, however i am keen to cover all bases 'just incase'

if its buzzing it could be the fret. Does it do this higher up the fretboard? sometimes a fret can push out a little and cause this sort of problem.

Could just be a string problem. Each set of strings is different, especially between different ukes. If you can't figure out what it is, swap the strings out and see if it helps. If it doesn't, you've got a new set of strings to make you happy while you go about solving the problem.

Pic of my Uke

Hi there,

Thanks again for all your replies. I have managed to get a pic of the top fret and how close the strings are. To me, this is too close, however, as i have said, the C string is the only one that appears to me to be making the noise.

I tried again last night, the noise is only noticable when i am strumming quite firmly, but i think i will need to strum firmly when i start to properly play, rather than just lightly when using it late at night.

If the strings are too close, would the music shop i bought it from be able to adjust it, or is this something i could easily do?

Attachments

• Uke pic.jpg
    Uke pic.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 18
Hi all,

I watched some Ukulele Mike on YouTube last night and following that i have changed the way i strum, which seems to have made a big difference. I still feel that the strings are too close to the fret board and will be returning back to the shop to see whether they can help adjust it.

Had a good play on it yesterday and i am really looking forward to spending some quality time with my Uke.

Also, is it wrong that seeing how finger picking works, has excited me? Hopefully its not. But really looking forward to giving it a go!

Top Bottom