I'm blaming Eugene_Ukulele and drbekken...

OldePhart

Reaction score
...for my succumbing to the baritone craze and ordering a Mainland mahogany baritone just minutes ago. :)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to explain how another ukulele shaped box is going to appear as if by magic on our porch. I sure am glad I told my wife to take the debit card and go nuts when she wanted an Easter outfit... LOL

John

excellent (in a Mr Burns voice ) well done John, it is amazing how all of a sudden they are taking off on here , i gave in a couple of weeks ago and got one to. I,ve only been playing/learning standard uke for about a year with no other musical knowledge, but i am coping all right with the bari although i am spending far to much time on it compared to my soprano or other GCEA tuned ukes, my uke club had a gig on Sunday i struggled with my soprano as my mind is stuck in DGBE, anyway welcome to the Bari side look forward to seeing you uploading some vids playing it :)

Ha ha. I am sitting here with my weeks-old baritone in my lap as I read your post. Welcome to our world, John. It's deep and mellow here, you'll love it.

:) i think we may have enough to have a baritone week in the seasons comp :)

I think you're right, Davey. My mainland cedar baritone arrives tomorrow!

...for my succumbing to the baritone craze and ordering a Mainland mahogany baritone just minutes ago. :)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to explain how another ukulele shaped box is going to appear as if by magic on our porch. I sure am glad I told my wife to take the debit card and go nuts when she wanted an Easter outfit... LOL

John

Tell her it isn't a ukulele. It's just a small guitar, with 4 strings.

Then duck, really fast.

Serpentine, Charlie!

-Kurt​

Still looking for another A+ Koloa baritone in a nice hard case for $125 like I got my son and I may join too.

John

John, I used to dread these same circumstances, until I started having the ukulele shaped boxes shipped to my office instead. LOL. Enjoy it!

John, I used to dread these same circumstances, until I started having the ukulele shaped boxes shipped to my office instead. LOL. Enjoy it!

That's what I used to do too...then I took a new position working for our business systems unit up north so now my home is my office...not complaining mind you...but it does limit the shipping options. :)

Seriously I joke about it but my wife has never given me a hard time about what I spend on my toys. There is always food on the table and a roof over our heads and she's never had to work a paying job in the thirty some odd years we've been married (and some of 'em have been really odd).

I think she understands implicitly that if I spend all my "spare" money on musical instruments and other toys it's a sure bet I don't have any to spend out chasin' wild womens. LOL

John

Wow Congrats on the Mainland, you went for the gusto...better butter her up loverboy..LOL

It's funny you should mention that, Stan - I was one click away from ordering an inexpensive laminated bari from Amazon just to dip my toes in the water but I said to myself, "self, you know there's about a 90% chance you're going to like the format and eventually want something that's a bit better so it's cheaper just to get a good one up front."

John

:rofl:

I already knew what you're talking about when I read the title as I got the same thought! But I still haven't picked a satisfied bari! Congrats with your Mainland hog bari!

By the way I really like this performance:

Yeah, that's a nice vid. I'd seen that and a couple of other Mainland baritone vids over the last couple of weeks - plus I own or have owned three Mainland tenors and a concert (still have two of the tenors and the concert that I converted to a coffee can resonator). Once I realized that it probably would end up costing me more in the long run if I bought an inexpensive "toe-in-the-water" bari the Mainland was a no brainer. The only other "nice" bari I would have considered buying without trying was a Martin and that's signficantly more money. :)

John

It's funny you should mention that, Stan - I was one click away from ordering an inexpensive laminated bari from Amazon just to dip my toes in the water but I said to myself, "self, you know there's about a 90% chance you're going to like the format and eventually want something that's a bit better so it's cheaper just to get a good one up front."

John

Exactly this.

Well, what can I say? I'm sorry if my humble attempts at playing the baritone ukulele is bringing financial ruin and marital problems to people... Goes to show the unpredictability of artistic effort... However, I'll keep playing it, no matter what! The sound and feel of that largest of ukes sure is sweet. If I ever get rich (not likely), I'll get one of those Mainlands. What a beauty. (And, by the way, my wife has not been complaining yet...I suspect that she thinks that ukulele chasing is a better mid-life crisis than the skirt chasing some of my friends have given in to...)

Well, what can I say? I'm sorry if my humble attempts at playing the baritone ukulele is bringing financial ruin and marital problems to people... Goes to show the unpredictability of artistic effort... However, I'll keep playing it, no matter what! The sound and feel of that largest of ukes sure is sweet. If I ever get rich (not likely), I'll get one of those Mainlands. What a beauty. (And, by the way, my wife has not been complaining yet...I suspect that she thinks that ukulele chasing is a better mid-life crisis than the skirt chasing some of my friends have given in to...)
Doc you are a amazing bari player and love your video's,i keep telling my wife the same thing, i am only in pubs very occasionally if our uke club has a gig there, i did get acused of looking at indicent sites on the net, but my wife realised i was making orgasmic sounds looking at custom made ukes etc, but she is happy to see me finally have a interest/hobby/obsession that i am extremely passionate about.
And Doc you are one of if not the man when it comes to baritones i am pretty certain :)

I don't get the baritone thing. Why not just get a guitar and have E and A strings too .

I play classical guitar, but the baritone uke, sounds deeper, mellower, very different than a guitar...

I don't get the baritone thing. Why not just get a guitar and have E and A strings too .

Top Bottom