this uke needs more respect!!

mandrew

Reaction score
Even though it's highly regarded already, I am just blown away by what Ko'olau is producing these days! Sheeeesh! they are every bit as good as Kamaka ( in my huble opinion) and getting better. Have you tried one recently?

To be honest I think Koolau is a small step up form the other K brands. I have heard they same from other members and have played a couple and they were real nice.

Ko'olau makes a top drawer instrument, and their custom instruments are among the finest made today. While I am not a fan of comparisons, I would agree that Ko'olau holds its own or exceeds the product of other quality makers. There is another thread where more than one poster said "I don't think Ko'olau is as good as the other K-brands, even though I've never played one." How do you even respond to that?

From what I've heard/read it seems that the Ko'olau ukes have more of a "custom luthier" vibe to them than the other Hawaiian makers. I can only infer that's because they're made in smaller batches with more time for each one.

Regardless, I've never actually had the good fortune to even see one in person, much less try one. I run across Kamakas all the time. In fact, I sometimes think there are more Kamakas on sale around me than Kalas or Lanikais. KoAlohas are a dime a dozen in stores, too. Kanile'a much less so, but still around. But Ko'olau are completely absent. Hell, some stores don't even know what they are!

I'd really like to try one, myself. But even more compelling would be if I start to get good on the guitar, perhaps looking into getting a Ko'olau six string to compliment my Kanile'a four.

Now that would be da kine chordophone ohana.

There is another thread where more than one poster said "I don't think Ko'olau is as good as the other K-brands, even though I've never played one." How do you even respond to that?
Sounds like my response. It's just my perception after reading countless posts about ukes on this site. I have tried Ko olau gold strings and found them to be dead, lifeless strings. So maybe that creeped into my perceptions. If they are worth a look, I'll keep an eye out.

I do not own or have played a Ko'olau but own 3 Ponos -KOA made by same company & I would say they play as well or better than other K brand I own. Love my Pono koa ukes, so the quality must be the same on the mahag. or spruce ones, OH I do own a mahag/spruce tenor-PONO, just beautiful & plays well. gee I got so many I cannot think of them all while writing, wife is going to kill me someday as I am going to Hawaii for a month on another uke quest .

From what I've heard/read it seems that the Ko'olau ukes have more of a "custom luthier" vibe to them than the other Hawaiian makers. I can only infer that's because they're made in smaller batches with more time for each one.

Regardless, I've never actually had the good fortune to even see one in person, much less try one. I run across Kamakas all the time. In fact, I sometimes think there are more Kamakas on sale around me than Kalas or Lanikais. KoAlohas are a dime a dozen in stores, too. Kanile'a much less so, but still around. But Ko'olau are completely absent. Hell, some stores don't even know what they are!

I'd really like to try one, myself. But even more compelling would be if I start to get good on the guitar, perhaps looking into getting a Ko'olau six string to compliment my Kanile'a four.

Now that would be da kine chordophone ohana.

Ho, Brah!

Don't you live in Santa Monica? McCabe's Guitar Shop has at least one Ko'olau uke in stock. Great uke!

Heck! .... while you're there, you can play all da Collings ukes, Kamaka ukes, KoAloha ukes ... and even da Pepe Romero Jr. Koa tenor uke, too!

Last edited:
Ko'olau has some MEAN ukulele. You actually got a guitar luthier who's fixed guitars and other instruments for over thirty years running that company. He's one of the few licensed luthiers to fix big name guitars in Hawaii. His name is John Kitakis. He and his son Noa pop out all the ukulele over there, that's why you don't see many out in stores. They put fine detail into all their instruments. They also use the best materials on the planet, even hot hide glue. But it also reflects in their prices...... better than the rest of the K's? hmmmmmmm:) To tell you the truth, if I had the chance to get a free custom ukulele, "whatever I wanted" kind of deal, I would head out to Wahiawa first and hang with the guys a Koolau! That's how I make my decision:)

Tried the Koolau while in Japan, they are definitely as good as Kamaka. Looking forward to a custom for the last of 4 K brand to add to my stable. :drool:

Please. You people are making me break out in a rash which typically loosens the wallet. These are the symptoms of remission.

Top Bottom