string question

campbullard

Reaction score
I have an ohana sk-30l, which is a soprano body with a tenor neck I believe. I wanted to get new strings because I want a bass G instead of the high G. I called my local music shop and they said all they have is baritone strings. Does anyone know if those would work well on my ukulele? I mean a baritone is only tuned a step lower so I would think it would be alright, but I figured I would ask here first.

I have an ohana sk-30l, which is a soprano body with a tenor neck I believe. I wanted to get new strings because I want a bass G instead of the high G. I called my local music shop and they said all they have is baritone strings. Does anyone know if those would work well on my ukulele? I mean a baritone is only tuned a step lower so I would think it would be alright, but I figured I would ask here first.

Do they sell individual guitar strings? You could use one of those instead of buying a whole pack.

I doubt it. I haven't restrung my uke yet so it could probably use it anyways. Are you referring to actual guitar strings to use on a uke?

Last edited:
I use a "classical" wound guitar G-string for my Low g needs, just got one for a Soprano yesterday.

I just bought a pack of d'addario classical guitar strings the gauges are E=.043, A=.035, D=.029, G=.0403, B=.0322, E=.0280. The E,A,D are all wound. Any recommendations on how to string these to my uke, still assuming I want a low g.

Here are the diameters for the D'Addario Pro Arte J92 Concert Ukulele Strings
A = .0280
E = .0322
C = .0403
G = .0280
As far as using wounds, wouldn't the tension be too high? I don't know cause I've never seen an all wound setup.

I would only be using the wound on the G. Looking athe those gauges I think just using D,G,B,E guitar strings could work well. I think for now I'm just going to put the low G on and see how it feels.

I'm not sure what brand the wound is, the store I shop is an "Old School" Folk Acoustic Music shop and they have a supply of bulk strings along with selling several brands.
When the guy told me I needed a Low g tenor (I have 2 Tenors) he handed me one of the bulk ones.

The one on my Tenor Kala KA-T with D'Addario Pro Arte's sounds great and the one I put on my Soprano KA-S with Aquilla's made me like the Aquilla's, I was ready to take them off (to bright for strumming for me).

I like the Savarez Alliance classical guitar strings for my ukes for a clear, bright sound. The red series are "normal" tension. I use the 543R for the C string, 542R for the E string, and 541R for the A string. For a low G setup, the D string from a guitar set works well. I like the D'addario proarte D Light Silverplated Copper Wound .028, J4304 for both the low G. If you want to use a high G, use the Savarez "high" tension 541J blue series. You can purchase these strings individually from Stringsbymail or juststrings.

I use these strings on my concert fluke, soprano Kamaka, as well as a couple custom tenors. Others on this forum use this setup with favorable results. These strings work well for my ukes, can't say they will with yours but food for thought.

Check out Curtsheller.com for information on strings and his recommendations, lots of good information. Aloha!

Brah, good stuff. Mahaloz fo da input. Between you, Kekani and some of the other guys - these small tidbits of info can go a long way.

I've just put Worth Clear CT on my Kanile'a, I was used to D'Addarios, Worth's strings are like "mini d'addarios" thiner, they make a sound maybe a little shouter but "more clear" (?) and bright sound.

I'll wait some weeks and talk about it when the strings will keep the tension.

Top Bottom