Getting new strings to hold their tune?

ChooChooTran

Reaction score
I recently got a new ukulele and they're having trouble holding they're tune. :confused:

Can someone detail how hasten the process where the strings stretch out and eventually hold their tune? Thanks!

Hi ChooChooTran, welcome to UU!

What I do is gently slip 3 fingers on one hand under the string near the sound hole. I put my thumb of my other hand over the nut and I gently pull the string up about 1/4"-1/2" and then slide my fingers from the sound hole to the nut and back a few times. Do that to each string then tune. Then do it again. It usually takes about 6 times. The trick is to not force anything. Play the uke and keep tuning. It will take a while for the strings to settle in. This is normal with any stringed instrument. Some strings settle in faster than others, so don't worry that something is wrong because it is normal.

Hi ChooChooTran, welcome to UU!

What I do is gently slip 3 fingers on one hand under the string near the sound hole. I put my thumb of my other hand over the nut and I gently pull the string up about 1/4"-1/2" and then slide my fingers from the sound hole to the nut and back a few times. Do that to each string then tune. Then do it again. It usually takes about 6 times. The trick is to not force anything. Play the uke and keep tuning. It will take a while for the strings to settle in. This is normal with any stringed instrument. Some strings settle in faster than others, so don't worry that something is wrong because it is normal.

sorry, i'm still new to the Uke so I don't really know what the nut is.

Like Tigeralum said mate, you can fast-track that stretching process and do it yourself in 20 minutes or so...

I do it slightly differently and just pinch the strings gently between thumb and forefinger from down near the bridge all the way up the fretboard to the nut (the nut is the bit on the edge of the headstock and the fretboard, where there is a little groove for each string that each one sits on) on each string...not in an 'upwards' motion (which would put undue pressure on the bridge) but sideways - parallel with the top of the uke. Just do it on each string, then retune...and keep going until they stop going flat. You'll find you can tame them quite quickly that way.

Just grab the strings and stretch them a bit. It still might take two weeks for them to be stretched enough that they aren't going flat.

Top Bottom