Health benefits of listening to & playing music (HuffPo article)

CountryMouse

Reaction score
Very cool story about Henry.

Funny, but the whole "power of music" thing seems so intuitive it's almost shocking that it's only now being discovered and validated.

I enjoyed the Henry video and decided to share it on Facebook with family and friends just in case I ever get catatonic, they can play some Maroon 5, Cars or whatever and - if I can still hear, hopefully music will give me the same thing it has given Henry.

I just started playing modes - I never understood how to apply them. awesome stuff. Music is like a pandora's box.

Wow, that was really touching!

Years ago I was with a Christmas caroling group that played nursing homes. After the program in the rec room, the rest of the singers moved on to sing down the hallways and in the rooms of those who weren't able to make it. I stayed behind and played some songs on my classical guitar.

After I was done, a lady came up to me to thank me. She said her father (whose bed had been wheeled into the rec room) hadn't shown any emotion or been communicative in a long time. She said while I was playing, he squeezed her hand and started to cry. I will never forget that and feel honored that my playing, humble as it was, could actually move someone.

CountryMouse, I think most of us here will attest that music can have therapeutic benefits. I have read some studies lately that say actually playing a musical instrument can help avoid avoid mental decline because it actively engages the brain to a degree more passive activities (like watching tv) don't.

My mother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers (she's 83). Almost every night of her life, from after dinner until bedtime, she did nothing but watch tv. It's been sad to watch her decline. :(

Wow, that was really touching!

Years ago I was with a Christmas caroling group that played nursing homes. After the program in the rec room, the rest of the singers moved on to sing down the hallways and in the rooms of those who weren't able to make it. I stayed behind and played some songs on my classical guitar.

After I was done, a lady came up to me to thank me. She said her father (whose bed had been wheeled into the rec room) hadn't shown any emotion or been communicative in a long time. She said while I was playing, he squeezed her hand and started to cry. I will never forget that and feel honored that my playing, humble as it was, could actually move someone.

CountryMouse, I think most of us here will attest that music can have therapeutic benefits. I have read some studies lately that say actually playing a musical instrument can help avoid avoid mental decline because it actively engages the brain to a degree more passive activities (like watching tv) don't.

My mother was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers (she's 83). Almost every night of her life, from after dinner until bedtime, she did nothing but watch tv. It's been sad to watch her decline. :(

Oh, that is so good that your music could help that gentleman!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. :( You better betcha I'm gonna keep playing my ukulele and other instruments! I do NOT want to go into any mental decline! Cat'r is always making me learn new board games and card games too. Collecting and playing games, especially imports, are his hobby. I used to HATE trick-taking games, but I've gotten much better over the years! Also, playing games is a nice social activity. We used to all go off to our separate computers. Then when Cat'r started collecting games, we started being more of a family again. :)

Mousie

You better betcha I'm gonna keep playing my ukulele and other instruments! I do NOT want to go into any mental decline! Cat'r is always making me learn new board games and card games too. Collecting and playing games, especially imports, are his hobby. I used to HATE trick-taking games, but I've gotten much better over the years! Also, playing games is a nice social activity. We used to all go off to our separate computers. Then when Cat'r started collecting games, we started being more of a family again. :)
Oh, yeah, you can bet I'm going to keep on playing, too! :)

Who is Cat'r, your husband?

I remember the pre-internet days when games meant card or board games. My favorites were Yahtzee and Scrabble.

Top Bottom