PDA

View Full Version : PegHeds

IrishKevin
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I have had my set now for roughly a month, or more. All I can say is that they are fantastic, I absolutely love them. I had an issue with junk tuning machines which lead me to buy replacements. I decided to take the plunge and purchase a set. I can say honestly, the difference it made in playability is remarkable. I can seriously do everything next to tear on the strings and they will remain in tune or damned close! Not to mention, they also look great! I owe a great deal to Bill Thompson (craftedcow),thank you sir! Anyone else have an opinion on Pegheds?

coolkayaker1
04-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Anyone else have an opinion on Pegheds?--IrishKevin.

Having owned Pegheads and geared and friction tuners, for the same price (or slightly less) I much prefer the expensive quality look, the feel, and the smooth and stable tuning of Grotoh Deluxe Friction tuners.

pakhan
04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree pegheads are really a great uke tuner- they are smooth, and the lower gear ratio also means less turns to get up to pitch. Another thing most folks would want to consider is that the ergonomics of tuning from pegheds is better than side pointing tuners.

weerpool
04-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Gordon from Mya-Moe tried to sell me onto Pegheds 2 weeks ago but i had mixed feeling about it. the gears feels smooth and great but i just cant get over that plastic feel. i agree with coolkayaker1. im glad you found the tuner that work s for you

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Gordon from Mya-Moe tried to sell me onto Pegheds 2 weeks ago but i had mixed feeling about it. the gears feels smooth and great but i just cant get over that plastic feel. i agree with coolkayaker1. im glad you found the tuner that work s for you

What kind of tuners did you get on your MyaMoe?
Anyway, they are high quality tuners. I highly recommend them. I cut one apart the other day just to see what was inside. The tiny planetary gears are pretty amazing.
UKEEKU has a fair review on them here:
http://ukeeku.com/2012/03/20/peghed-tuners-full-review/

mm stan
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
They Slip on my concert.....maybe I got a bad set....darn and I got low tension martin strings on too..
but they work well on my Mya Moe...

weerpool
04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
36280 its the soprano to my left. i didnt actually buy it as it was Char's "Baby". he was just showing me
What kind of tuners did you get on your MyaMoe?
Anyway, they are high quality tuners. I highly recommend them. I cut one apart the other day just to see what was inside. The tiny planetary gears are pretty amazing.
UKEEKU has a fair review on them here:
http://ukeeku.com/2012/03/20/peghed-tuners-full-review/

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
They Slip on my concert.....maybe I got a bad set....darn and I got low tension martin strings on too..
but they work well on my Mya Moe...

Learn how to adjust the tension!
Push tuner knob inward while twisting to TIGHTEN tension.
Pull tuner knob outward while twisting to LOOSEN tenssion.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
04-12-2012, 05:26 PM
36280 its the soprano to my left. i didnt actually buy it as it was Char's "Baby". he was just showing me

But what kind of tuners are they? Can't really tell from the photo but they look kind of "plasticy".
BTW, ebony and rosewood tuner knobs are available for Peghed tuners.

mm stan
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Did that Chuck...someone already suggested that, long ago...I can play for 30 seconds and it goes out of tune....darn it..I may have broken some thing when I took them off...
And I know the strings are broken in already...it been over a month and a half...

southcoastukes
04-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Did that Chuck...someone already suggested that...I can play for 30 seconds and it goes out of tune....darn it..
And I know the strings are broken in already...it been over a month and a half...

Learned this the hard way. Pegheds are right and left hand. If you get a bunch and mix them up, it's not easy to see the difference (tiny threads - they're inside the peg head once installed - going one way or the other). Make a mistake and put one on the wrong side and they won't hold.

Sounds like you've got a "right on the left side" (or vice versa).

BTW - Love Pegheds. Ratio is perfect to my way of thinking (I do a lot of stringing), light weight (great for our longnecks), traditional style. We're doing custom wood knobs.

southcoastukes
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I highly recommend them. I cut one apart the other day just to see what was inside. The tiny planetary gears are pretty amazing.

The first time I brought one to my old friend, the late great Jimmy Foster, he did the same thing as you, Chuck, and was equally impressed.

mm stan
04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Aloha Dirk,
I may have mixed it up....thank you...not sure....I took them off to polish the headstock when I changed my strings when I first got the uke...that could be it...
why didn't I think of that... now to check and figure out which is which...ha ha yes I would love to have the wooden ones too...mahalo nui

weerpool
04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
polycarbonate
But what kind of tuners are they? Can't really tell from the photo but they look kind of "plasticy".
BTW, ebony and rosewood tuner knobs are available for Peghed tuners.

southcoastukes
04-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Aloha Dirk,
I may have mixed it up....thank you...not sure....I took them off to polish the headstock when I changed my strings when I first got the uke...that could be it...
why didn't I think of that... now to check and figure out which is which...ha ha yes I would love to have the wooden ones too...mahalo nui

Took them off?

Maybe there's something else to consider here. Unlike wooden pegs, they should be glued in. People have their favorite glues - I use a dab of super glue on the threads.

To make sure which is which, put your fingernail in the thread and rotate the tuner. That will let you know which way it rises. Right rise is right hand (facing front).

TheCraftedCow
04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
PEGHEDS are warranted for as long as they are on an instrument. If you don't tell us, we can't help you. You can contact us through www.pegheds.com (Chuck Herin) or www.pegheds.net.(Bill Thompson)

The only thing I have found to make them slip is #1, the knob needs pushed toward the front side to increase tension or #2, someone has put a left hand thread on the right hand side or vise-versa. The direction the string winds onto the spool should keep a tension on the threads..

Chuck----if you would have said something, I could have sent you a cutaway view.

I am curious about the "plastic" comments... the units are made of anodised aluminum.
The planetary gears are delrin nylon which is a different from plastic as is Mya-Moe from Makala.

The plastic knobs are satin finish rather than high shine. The ebony,rosewood, boxwood or whatever hardwood you sent us for your custom grips, are a shinier finish.
There are also four different shapes of grips as well

pakhan
04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Bully! Custom grips on a peghed? Yes to one and all!

Be in touch soon Bill.

Susie A
04-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I have pegheads on my Sailor uke .. love them. They are very responsive and I like the fact that they are tucked neatly behind the headstock :)

Olarte
04-13-2012, 01:26 AM
PEGHEDS are warranted for as long as they are on an instrument. If you don't tell us, we can't help you. You can contact us through www.pegheds.com (Chuck Herin) or www.pegheds.net.(Bill Thompson)

UHm, I'm interested in upgrading my Kala Pocket uke to Pegheads but am not sure what model\size pegheds to get since it's a pretty small uke.

Any chance someome can identify the best model of pegheds to use for this uke?

Pukulele Pete
04-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Looking at them ,they look longer than standard tuners . Are they longer and if they are, how much?

Pukulele Pete
04-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Anyone else have an opinion on Pegheds?--IrishKevin.

Having owned Pegheads and geared and friction tuners, for the same price (or slightly less) I much prefer the expensive quality look, the feel, and the smooth and stable tuning of Grotoh Deluxe Friction tuners.

Wow , I really like those Gotoh deluxe tuners , never saw them with those little chrome buttons on the side. I'd love a set of those for my KTS-4 .

savagehenry
04-13-2012, 04:30 AM
I have pegheads on my Sailor uke .. love them. They are very responsive and I like the fact that they are tucked neatly behind the headstock :)

I also have pegheads on my Sailor 6 string. They are awesome and I would highly recommend them both for look and feel.

bbycrts
04-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Looking at them ,they look longer than standard tuners . Are they longer and if they are, how much?

When I had my custom built I asked for a slightly thicker headstock to compensate, visually, for the length of the Pegheads.

Worked like a charm - everything looks perfectly in balance.

And I LOVE my Pegheads. They are brilliant.

Pukulele Pete
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
When I had my custom built I asked for a slightly thicker headstock to compensate, visually, for the length of the Pegheads.

Worked like a charm - everything looks perfectly in balance.

And I LOVE my Pegheads. They are brilliant.

So Pegheds are longer than standard tuners ?

tattwo
04-13-2012, 09:05 AM
You can get them in different lengths.

Plainsong
04-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I also have pegheads on my Sailor 6 string. They are awesome and I would highly recommend them both for look and feel.

+1 for Pegheads on my Sailor. They really spoil you even if I have nothing against frictions.

southcoastukes
04-13-2012, 11:47 AM
So Pegheds are longer than standard tuners ?

Depends on what you mean by "Standard Tuners". Here's some pictures of standard pegs. Thin head - long tuner was "standard". Pegheads are actually shorter than these. The first three are typical. The last one shows a head more like bbycrts described - a more "modern" head thickness and short pegs. You can see these pegs were modified - the reason they're so short.

rpfrogner
04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
PegHeds are great! I bought a vintage Martin soprano a while back that had no tuners (the body was in great shape) and ended up putting a set of PegHeds on it........best thing I could have done!

nix
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Another PegHed fan here. I had them put on my Flea and just love them. I ordered a new Fluke and am having them put on it as well because I think it is easily worth the additional cost. Stringing a uke with regular geared tuners feels like it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r now since it takes so much more turning than putting new strings on a PegHed uke.

Nix

blender
04-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Peghead tuners came on my new-to-me Fluke. I hate them.
After using them to tune up the Fluke I'm now seriously thinking of retro-fitting them to my Flea and Firefly. I detest how easy they are to use and precise they are. Damn these people for convincing me to spend more money. ;)

Steve in Madison

strombolimusik
06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
rpfrogner: Which model pegheds did you put on your Martin, and did you have to route the hole at all?

mo9090x
06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi CraftedCow. I know this thread is old now but I am just seeing it. I would like to chime in about the "plastic" comments because I am in that camp too. The buttons/knobs/handles of the non-custom Pegheds are or feel like plastic. My Collings came with them and the seams on them were showing. I hand sanded them down to make them smoother but they are not as even looking (in tone) as they were new. At least they feel better. Since they are glued in, a replacement is possible, even from Pegheds directly, but there is a shipping and of course an upgrade cost. I spoked with Gordon at MyaMoe and he has Pegheds sand them down for him so no seams are showing and they are less easy to discern from the ebony ones. I haven't seen any of the wood knobs in person yet, but will in about a month or less so PM me if you'd like my feedback. Don't get me wrong, they are great and I love them, but I too wish the plastic knobs weren't plastic (or whatever the material is). Kind regards.

The only thing I have found to make them slip is #1, the knob needs pushed toward the front side to increase tension or #2, someone has put a left hand thread on the right hand side or vise-versa. The direction the string winds onto the spool should keep a tension on the threads..

Chuck----if you would have said something, I could have sent you a cutaway view.

I am curious about the "plastic" comments... the units are made of anodised aluminum.
The planetary gears are delrin nylon which is a different from plastic as is Mya-Moe from Makala.

The plastic knobs are satin finish rather than high shine. The ebony,rosewood, boxwood or whatever hardwood you sent us for your custom grips, are a shinier finish.
There are also four different shapes of grips as well