New (to me) uke day! Lanikai LU-21TE

pootsie

Reaction score
Got a barely used LU-21TE, great condition, looks nice, makes me happy.

One thing I did learn (and it caused me some concern for a while) is that a stereo jack will not close the battery circuit so no output unless you use a mono jack. But that is no problem and I am having fun!

One thing is that the sound is far brighter than my Dolphin, and I thought I would have a mellower sound with the tenor. I suppose that is the strings. I do not know what kind came on this but I presume factory standard.

Can anyone recommend a warmer, more mellow set of strings?

Last edited:
Congrats on your new Uke Pootsie. Lanikai uses aquilas out of the factory. I'm not sure which type of aquilas though.

Have fun and happy strummin

Last edited:
Nice uke! I have the non-electric version and love it.
You could try worth strings. They seem a tad mellower.

Thank you philxbx.

Anyone else know of a suggestion to mellow the sound?

Merci beaucoup!

The brown ones, right?

Can anyone please suggest a good seller to go through?

Last edited:
Actually I use the clears. KoAloha ukulele carries a full selection of them. You'll have to call them to ask though, as they don't list them on their website. In addition, my strings are low 'g'. That's another choice for you. I think that makes for a really mellow sound.

well done. That's my uke. I like her a lot. I've got a little Rolan amp that suits her we;;. Mines been well used and starting to show a few marks now.
I'm a thrasher and really just strum (I have to have a bit of oomph in my sound because I play rhythm in a duo with a soloist who uses a pick.
I've tried Aquilas - liked them but didn't like it when they changed to the new bio nylons - thought they were a bit dull.
D'Daddario (J53 I think) - nice bright tone but for me didn't "ring"
have Worth clears now which are lovely, chiming strings but probably a bit lihght for my style. Would be perfect for a more acoustic, finger picking style.
I think I'll try the D'Daddario titanium strings next.
Or maybe I should start playing with a pick........................

Top Bottom